Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's language in the contract that says it's not covered, so it's not covered. Also $1000+ for some rubber to stop a 12v battery from moving is ridiculous.

It isn't a bumper to bumper warranty. It's for big failures, like a drive motor, computers, headlights, AC, and the like. It doesn't cover wear items, so if your compressor dies you're covered (I believe), but if your AC hose breaks or rubs on something, you're not covered. Those get old and brittle. Coolant isn't covered, but I'm not sure if that covers AC refrigerant or not. Some would call it a coolant. Since it often can leave out, I'd expect it's not covered. Any clarification?

There's language in the contract that says it's not covered, so it's not covered. Also $1000+ for some rubber to stop a 12v battery from moving is ridiculous.

It isn't a bumper to bumper warranty. It's for big failures, like a drive motor, computers, headlights, AC, and the like. It doesn't cover wear items, so if your compressor dies you're covered (I believe), but if your AC hose breaks or rubs on something, you're not covered. Those get old and brittle. Coolant isn't covered, but I'm not sure if that covers AC refrigerant or not. Some would call it a coolant. Since it often can leave out, I'd expect it's not covered. Any clarification?
The rubber strips are actually for the HV battery (its just rubber edges between the vehicle and battery. The HV battery does have slight movement, which is considered normal, this just silences if/when that does occur. The cost is almost entirely labor since they have to drop the battery, remove the old rubber, put in the new one, and put the battery back in once the adhesive sticks.

Fluids are not covered, nor are they on the factory warranty either. XCare does cover wear and tear of components that are not excluded (aka covered components). We see this a lot with the yellowing of the MCU, suspension issues, pano roof, HVAC issues, etc - we see failures due to standard wear and tear and they are covered. If you have a compressor failure where they need to drain the fluid for a covered repair, then it is covered. If you just need a fluid change, thats maintenance.

We see LOTS of AC/HVAC issues. Its mostly compressor failures, refrigerant line failures, condenser failures, etc. and those are covered. It may depend on the cause - as an example, we had a customer that experienced AC and electrical damage due to a rodent getting into the vehicle and chewing everything up (nightmare situation). Luckily it was covered by their normal auto insurance and was successfully repaired :)

Last edited:
How does @XCare EV handle
Mobile appointments. Let’s say they need to send out a mobile tech to check on a Bluetooth diagnostic or something. Who pays for that up front? How does the billing work? Can we just give contract number to service app or mobile tech and they handle it all?

How does @XCare EV handle
Mobile appointments. Let’s say they need to send out a mobile tech to check on a Bluetooth diagnostic or something. Who pays for that up front? How does the billing work? Can we just give contract number to service app or mobile tech and they handle it all?

We have an online claims form that every XCare member completes before service schedule or scheduled date. Process is pretty much the same between going to a service center or mobile service. Send your initial estimate to your claims rep, and we can either pay the mobile service tech directly or you can pay and we will reimburse.

The entire process is outlined on the first page on our online claims form. This can also be found on our site.

Reactions: 100d
We have an online claims form that every XCare member completes before service schedule or scheduled date. Process is pretty much the same between going to a service center or mobile service. Send your initial estimate to your claims rep, and we can either pay the mobile service tech directly or you can pay and we will reimburse.

The entire process is outlined on the first page on our online claims form. This can also be found on our site.

So do this….once Tesla service has determined the problem or after diagnostic is complete?

But how do I know what the claim is for before the ey diagnose it?
Let’s say for example I call Tesla service and over the phone they decide I need to bring my car in, or send out a mobile tech. Once the tech arrives or I pull in I would think (like any other warranty) I would give them the info and they would take it from there. That seems to be the most logical step as I would not want to “start” a claim with you guys if it not something that requires a claim.

But how do I know what the claim is for before the ey diagnose it?
Let’s say for example I call Tesla service and over the phone they decide I need to bring my car in, or send out a mobile tech. Once the tech arrives or I pull in I would think (like any other warranty) I would give them the info and they would take it from there. That seems to be the most logical step as I would not want to “start” a claim with you guys if it not something that requires a claim.

It might be best to speak to one of our team members so they can walk you through our claims process, and answer any/all questions you have. You can simply reach out to [email protected] or enter your info here and one of our team members, former Tesla folks, will be able to guide you through it.

Reactions: 100d
Regarding real life experience with the warranty, I thought I'd copy/paste my recent Google review here. Happy to answer any follow up questions. Bottom line is that I've been really happy with both the customer service and the product. On my first 2015 MS, I did have issues with screen degradation/bubbling (of secondary screen) and that was not covered as it was cosmetic/optional (the screen still technically worked fine, but it looked bad). I chose to have that fixed, out of pocket, along with an MCU2 upgrade. But I did have several other issues while I owned the car (AC went out) and those were covered, as expected, with not issue whatsoever. My review is below:

For owners of used EVs, I give Xcelerate Auto my highest recommendation for after market warranties. Brent was extremely responsive and helpful thoughout the process and thoroughly answered all of my questions. As a former Tesla employee himself, Brent was even a great source of info about my car the Tesla, as a company. Literally, the best customer service experience in memory!My endorsement comes not only as a recent purchaser of a warranty for my 2019 Tesla Model S, but as a previous customer on my last 2015 Tesla Model S. The 2015 MS had several issues for which I had the opportunity to use the Xcelerate warranty product (i.e., air conditioning failure) on my last vehicle and the experience was seamless and absolutely "as advertised". . .completely covered save for the deductible ($100 in my case).The prices on the policies have climbed but my last warranty did not cover the battery and drive units while this one does. When considering the policy that you purchase, keep in mind that if you have some left over warranty when you sell you car (private party), this can add value to you in one of two ways: you can sell it to the buyer for the residual value (then transfer the policy with the car) or you can let Xcelerate know that you have sold the car and they will cut you a check for the pro-rated residual value, which you can then put toward the warranty on your next vehicle. For this reason, I bought MORE warranty on this car than I though I needed because I knew it would have some value for me in the future.5 star experience!

• Love
Reactions: XCare EV
Regarding real life experience with the warranty, I thought I'd copy/paste my recent Google review here. Happy to answer any follow up questions. Bottom line is that I've been really happy with both the customer service and the product. On my first 2015 MS, I did have issues with screen degradation/bubbling (of secondary screen) and that was not covered as it was cosmetic/optional (the screen still technically worked fine, but it looked bad). I chose to have that fixed, out of pocket, along with an MCU2 upgrade. But I did have several other issues while I owned the car (AC went out) and those were covered, as expected, with not issue whatsoever. My review is below:

For owners of used EVs, I give Xcelerate Auto my highest recommendation for after market warranties. Brent was extremely responsive and helpful thoughout the process and thoroughly answered all of my questions. As a former Tesla employee himself, Brent was even a great source of info about my car the Tesla, as a company. Literally, the best customer service experience in memory!My endorsement comes not only as a recent purchaser of a warranty for my 2019 Tesla Model S, but as a previous customer on my last 2015 Tesla Model S. The 2015 MS had several issues for which I had the opportunity to use the Xcelerate warranty product (i.e., air conditioning failure) on my last vehicle and the experience was seamless and absolutely "as advertised". . .completely covered save for the deductible ($100 in my case).The prices on the policies have climbed but my last warranty did not cover the battery and drive units while this one does. When considering the policy that you purchase, keep in mind that if you have some left over warranty when you sell you car (private party), this can add value to you in one of two ways: you can sell it to the buyer for the residual value (then transfer the policy with the car) or you can let Xcelerate know that you have sold the car and they will cut you a check for the pro-rated residual value, which you can then put toward the warranty on your next vehicle. For this reason, I bought MORE warranty on this car than I though I needed because I knew it would have some value for me in the future.5 star experience!
Thanks sir, it was an honor to help with both warranties, and looking forward to helping you for years to come!

Do you have a list of what not covered for the MX?
Thanks
Great question indeed- We cover thousands of parts!
Things like 12volt battery, wheels/ tires, glass, body work, maintenance items would be some exclusions...Go ahead and review our service agreement as this will give you a more thorough explanation:

Please reach out with any specific questions on coverage for your Model X: [email protected]
Thx,
Team XCare

Hi guys, I am almsot at the point of pressing the button for extended warranty with XCare. Doing my final due dilligence by reading experiences from the community. Came across a few negative ones, esp things like rubber strips lining the battery; but in general seems quite positive. Jsut wondering if anyone knows of any discount codes or something to make it more affordable. I am looking to get a 6 year, 100k miles, $0 deductible plan for approx $6650. I also have my brother in the same situation, so might end up with two plans. Any words of advise or tricks to make this more affordable? Thank you!

Hi guys, I am almsot at the point of pressing the button for extended warranty with XCare. Doing my final due dilligence by reading experiences from the community. Came across a few negative ones, esp things like rubber strips lining the battery; but in general seems quite positive. Jsut wondering if anyone knows of any discount codes or something to make it more affordable. I am looking to get a 6 year, 100k miles, $0 deductible plan for approx $6650. I also have my brother in the same situation, so might end up with two plans. Any words of advise or tricks to make this more affordable? Thank you!
I think setting the deductible to $100 will save you more than a few bucks. Also, I believe there’s a 5000 mile bracket for pre-existing mileage so be wary of that. You can pay for it using your credit card, so may be a few point rewards on that? Finally, I think prices increase at the beginning of the year so another thing to look out for. I pulled the trigger on a 10 year, 125K warranty for my 2020 MSP about three weeks ago. In my experience they had good customer service over the phone if you have any questions.

I think setting the deductible to $100 will save you more than a few bucks. Also, I believe there’s a 5000 mile bracket for pre-existing mileage so be wary of that. You can pay for it using your credit card, so may be a few point rewards on that? Finally, I think prices increase at the beginning of the year so another thing to look out for. I pulled the trigger on a 10 year, 125K warranty for my 2020 MSP about three weeks ago. In my experience they had good customer service over the phone if you have any questions.
Price/ details?

Thanks @esg94. I just simply tried the quotes with $100 and $0 deductibles and the diff was $400-$500 or so. If I have to take the car once a year, and pay the deductible, over 6 years I end up paying that much. Thats how I worked it out. However I am now reconsidering how long do I need to cover for - perhaps 3-4 years instead of 6. I didnt even see a 10year option. How much did you pay for it?

I think setting the deductible to $100 will save you more than a few bucks. Also, I believe there’s a 5000 mile bracket for pre-existing mileage so be wary of that. Also, you can pay for it using your credit card, so may be a few point rewards on that?
Thanks @esg94. I just simply tried the quotes with $100 and $0 deductibles and the diff was $400-$500 or so. If I have to take the car once a year, and pay the deductible, over 6 years I end up paying that much. Thats how I worked it out. However I am now reconsidering how long do I need to cover for - perhaps 3-4 years instead of 6. I didnt even see a 10year option. How much did you pay for it?
First of all I wanna say upfront I’m not affiliated with XCare at all. I recently paid $5068 for a 10 year 125k mile warranty on my MSP 2020 with a $100 deductible. That’s only $1.38 per day. My previous car was a nice GM car and I put about $5000 of maintenance on that over a 10 year span. And I know Tesla prices are higher for repairs. It’s not like you can take it to your cheap, local, everybody’s favorite repair shop. While the car was under warranty, one of the onboard charger units went, and it was home charging at half rate. The repair was $3200 but of course, was covered for free under the original Tesla warranty. I know this car can be fixed by a DIY person more than most people think but another real issue was to me is the MSP rear Drive unit is a for a sure a known failure point And that one is extremely hard for an individual to fix. Not to mention the high voltage battery, which is impossible. Also forget taking one of these cars to a place like Gruber automotive as they are booked literally for years at this point.

One important note is this: I was on the fence about buying the warranty, but the thing that did it for me is if you sell the car or total it, they will prorate the remaining portion of your warranty and refund you that amount. Or you can transfer the warranty to the new owner. That provision sealed the deal for me. Because of this, I would recommend anybody lean towards the longer warranty. As one of the ex care reps said earlier, if you don’t see the warranty package you want perhaps give them a call.

Also, if you have a 2016 model (or, separately, are approaching 100k miles), you only have a few more days until 2017 when they will stop offering insurance on your car. At least for the batteries+motor but maybe general insurance as well. Same will be true next December for the 2017 cars.

I'm not affiliated either but did buy the battery+motor insurance. Probably worth it just for peace of mind.

Reactions: byeLT4 and XCare EV
Just thought I would post about this... Some service centers (Cleveland) have started charging an additional hour of diagnosis once you tell them you have X-Care. Their logic is the extra detail that X-Care needs before approving claims creates more work for them. And unless someone could chime in otherwise, I don't think X-Care covers the diagnostic fees.
I have a $100 deductible that has efftively now become $300 for each service visit.
I still recommend X-Care but this new development stings a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: