Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery life Model S 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I have a 2017 model S 75D. It has exactly 47,033 miles.

I’m concerned about the battery. I have spoken to Tesla and they said it is fine. When I asked them what my battery life is they said they couldn’t tell me that information but my battery is “healthy”.

At this 90% charge I get only 197miles. Which isn’t accurate to real life driving. The other day I dropped my sister to the airport it was 3am clear roads no traffic. which is stating to be 47 miles there and 47miles back, according to Waze.
That should be 90 miles. I have full self driving, so the car was doing most of the work, my climate was on heating and the windows defogger so I’ll factor in few miles of usage contributed towards it. By the time I got home my mileage said I had about 60miles left.
On 100% battery I get only 215miles max. When my car was 45k miles I was getting 218 miles so it’s dropped

I use a podpoint to charge my car as it is free personalised allocations in my apartment basement so it’s also safe from elements. I got the car charging setting on 10Amps. I basically plug it In everyday and charge it so 90%. I leave it plugged in. I have sentry mode on but that’s it, everything else is off.
According to a 3rd party app I recently installed so it isn’t to blame for the battery, the car has a 93.4% battery life and has done 359 charge cycles. I am the 2nd owner it was a business car so I don’t know what they were doing before. But it just simply doesn’t seem right and it gives me significant anxiety I just brought this car in August coming from petrol, and although expensive I had no anxiety about travelling and running out of petrol!

I’m worried I made a mistake and kinda hoping my car does have an issue, or maybe the charger wire I’m using or even something I’m doing? Should i lower the amps should I put battery to 80% instead ?
because I don’t think I can accept this significant false mileage estimate and get rid of the car.

I’m concerned about the battery. I have spoken to Tesla and they said it is fine. When I asked them what my battery life is they said they couldn’t tell me that information but my battery is “healthy”.

At this 90% charge I get only 197miles. Which isn’t accurate to real life driving. The other day I dropped my sister to the airport it was 3am clear roads no traffic. which is stating to be 47 miles there and 47miles back, according to Waze.
That should be 90 miles. I have full self driving, so the car was doing most of the work, my climate was on heating and the windows defogger so I’ll factor in few miles of usage contributed towards it. By the time I got home my mileage said I had about 60miles left.
On 100% battery I get only 215miles max. When my car was 45k miles I was getting 218 miles so it’s dropped

I use a podpoint to charge my car as it is free personalised allocations in my apartment basement so it’s also safe from elements. I got the car charging setting on 10Amps. I basically plug it In everyday and charge it so 90%. I leave it plugged in. I have sentry mode on but that’s it, everything else is off.
According to a 3rd party app I recently installed so it isn’t to blame for the battery, the car has a 93.4% battery life and has done 359 charge cycles. I am the 2nd owner it was a business car so I don’t know what they were doing before. But it just simply doesn’t seem right and it gives me significant anxiety I just brought this car in August coming from petrol, and although expensive I had no anxiety about travelling and running out of petrol!

I’m worried I made a mistake and kinda hoping my car does have an issue, or maybe the charger wire I’m using or even something I’m doing? Should i lower the amps should I put battery to 80% instead ?
because I don’t think I can accept this significant false mileage estimate and get rid of the car.
Don't sweat.

For your round trip to and from the airport of 94 miles, I would charge my car until the battery gauge says 244 miles or 150 miles extra.

When the battery gauge said 197 miles, you started your trip and returned with 60 miles left. That's very good!

You can set your battery at any number from 50 to 90 as allowable on your charging screen.

Worrying about your battery is useless because it's born to die. Tesla guarantees 8 years, and not more, because there's a reason: The battery will have to die.

Thus, enjoy your car while your battery is still alive.

Reactions: David Harvey
Don't sweat.

For your round trip to and from the airport of 94 miles, I would charge my car until the battery gauge says 244 miles or 150 miles extra.

When the battery gauge said 197 miles, you started your trip and returned with 60 miles left. That's very good!

You can set your battery at any number from 50 to 90 as allowable on your charging screen.

Worrying about your battery is useless because it's born to die. Tesla guarantees 8 years, and not more, because there's a reason: The battery will have to die.

Thus, enjoy your car while your battery is still alive.
You said that returning with 60 miles is good.
Would you be able to explain how a round trip that’s calculated as 90 miles which is supposed to leave me with at least 90-100 miles left on my battery But instead I’m reaching home with 60 miles is good? Calculating that this trip would have cost me 137 miles. With that many miles in my bmw 3 series, That should be able to get me a trip from London to wales! not a 45 minute drive up the m5 and back. In theory 197 miles is a lot but my car is not giving me that.

This is not a normal driving experience I get that it’s a battery so I was open to more leniency but a trip that’s 1.7 miles away to my mums starting at 197 I’ll get there and my mileage will be at 170. I drove 1.7miles away it took me 10 minutes.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
You said that returning with 60 miles is good.
Would you be able to explain how a round trip that’s calculated as 90 miles which is supposed to leave me with at least 90-100 miles left on my battery But instead I’m reaching home with 60 miles is good? Calculating that this trip would have cost me 137 miles. With that many miles in my bmw 3 series, That should be able to get me a trip from London to wales! not a 45 minute drive up the m5 and back. In theory 197 miles is a lot but my car is not giving me that.

This is not a normal driving experience I get that it’s a battery so I was open to more leniency but a trip that’s 1.7 miles away to my mums starting at 197 I’ll get there and my mileage will be at 170. I drove 1.7miles away it took me 10 minutes.
Yes, indeed, very good. The trick of driving an EV is not to run out of battery and not be left stranded in the middle of the road.

The way that I learned from experience is I wouldn't leave for a 94-mile trip until my battery gauge was charged to 244 miles.

You didn't do that. You left for the trip when the battery gauge said 197 miles and got home without being stranded.

That's very good indeed.

It's possible to use only 94 battery miles for a 94-mile trip, but you have to learn how to do that as a hypermiler. I've done that before but it's impractical. I would not recommend that because you have to drive in good weather, slow down, shut off the heater, and do everything else to beat the number.

To be practical, I would just have 150 miles extra on my battery gauge.

Last edited:
I think you're mistaking the optimistic possible miles you can get on the car(what it shows on the gauge) with reality.
If it's cold and you've got the heat on, you could use those miles about 40% quicker. If you're driving fast, uphill, etc. Then they go quicker.
I don't use the mileage listing on my S because of that. I use battery percentage. I also use the GPS because it tells me a rough percentage of how much percent charge I'll have when I get to my destination. And that seems to be a closer estimate than the miles.

Many of us tend to have the battery gauge display % instead of miles. The trip planner is surprisingly accurate and in eight years of ownership I've never experienced range anxiety. You'll notice that under certain circumstances (temp, wind, elevation changes etc.) you will consume more energy than the car's 'rated range' would imply. I've also had some drives where my mileage is actually better than the car's rated range. But in both cases, I arrived at my destination within a % or two of the predicted value in the trip planner.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom

You have nothing to worry about, your numbers are fine. My 2017 S75 has covered 92,000 miles and has 9% HV battery degradation. It shows 212 miles when charged to 100%. Make sure that your display is set to % and not miles.

I've got a 2018, 76k miles. 100% charge shows about 223 mi. range. Teslafi indicates a tad below fleet average, so you're doing well. I live with the limited range and now use FUSC every chance I get. I no longer worry about saving the battery. As has been said, they gonna die.

You can also search how to recalibrate your battery. It involves running your battery down to nearly 0 then charging to 100% and leaving it for an hour or so. I think you repeat this process once or twice. It's not secretly unlocking any additional capacity in your battery. From what I hear it bumps up your range numbers but it's all cosmetic. You still have the same battery with the same degradation as before. Early last year at 100% my range used to display 234 miles. In the last couple months that's dipped down to 225 miles at 100%. I just keep it at % rather than miles so it doesn't bother me.

That is the way how it runs with tesla range estimate algorithm. The range estimate they give at full charge is pretty much BS if you are in cold area. They want to stay as close to the official testing number at full charge. If it displays 150 at full charge, you will probably say my car is supposed to have 200+, It is broken. In winter, your 200 range probably can only do 150 in real life miles. Just need to learn to adapt and DC charge if going on a long trip.

battery degradation is not simply a function of miles driven... the time component is very significant (an old battery with low miles still has degradation). Also, the conditions seen by the cells is relevant (extremes of charge - 100 and 0) as well as stessors like temperature, rapid charging and discharging.. Note that Tesla's battery management system does an excellent job to mitigate the stressors.

Also, you don't get the stated miles unless you drive without significant acceleration on a flat road at low speeds. Just like gas cars that state 30 miles per gallon, but when in reality you get 25-27.

OP's numbers are 'within spec' but he/she seems to not be satisfied, and the reality is that they should done more research in advance and then would have bought a car with a bigger battery (S - LR, 100) or one that consumes less energy (3)

I have a 2017 MD 75D with hair over 40k miles and luckily I am only at about 3% battery degradation. 100% charge is 242 miles. I think this car is a unicorn up to this point, the first owner must have really babied her. I am sure it will average out at some point.

It all about efficiency as well, putting the car in chill mode and range mode as increased my efficiency by 15-20%. I do live in FL where the weather is very stable with relatively flat terrain, which helps to maximize range as well.