Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery life...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my battery used to charge upto 294 miles on a100% charge. During winter I seem a huge drop in battery which was expected. However, now the temperature has increased I would expect to charge back to 294. This is not happening. I charged last night to 100% and the fool charge has got me 270 miles.....

Should I expect this to increase again? Id it for to done king of calibration that needs to take time or had my battery really degraded so much. I hope not or could I expect the same drop again after next winter? Does anyone have this experience?

What car? What type of battery? How Old? New/Second hand?
The battery management system needs some good samples to get an idea of the full charge. If you only keep topping it up then you might need to let it drop to below 20% to get a more accurate measurement.

Reactions: cryo
Try running it down to below 20% and don't charge to 100% very often unless you're going to be driving straight after the charge. IIRC the current guideline is to only charge to 80% normally and 100% only when on a trip.
Lots of info about battery care in the manual.
Hi. Normally I do only go to 80% and 100 on long journeys. I think the issue may be I don't run it down. It's rarely before 70%

Reactions: init6
I find displayed 100% range (both usable as per app and absolute as per both available in TeslaFi) fluctuates significantly even over relatively short periods of time. It is however also quite seasonal although how much of this is temperature and how much seasonal tyres I am not sure - after a seasonal tyre swap the car looks like it recalibrates itself next drive, ie don’t drive hard for next few miles message.

Our 2019LR had 310 miles from new. 4-1/2 years later it’s normally somewhere in the 280, but has dropped into the high 270’s at times, or risen into low 290’s.

But tbh, it’s all finger in the air as the BMS is just making a best guess at what’s available and in car or in app, also making some adjustments for usable energy which is normally simplified into the one display value and occasional snowflake.

There are probably better ways to get a better range reading (energy graph) but as long as our ‘100%’ range fluctuates within the normal empirical values, I’m comfortable with that, especially as ours sits within the TeslaFi range for other similar cars within its fleet.

Whilst there is some battery degradation going on since new, the vast majority of the range fluctuations is down to BMS.

At the end of the day, the usable range will be influenced by many variables, and the car/app display is not taking most of those into account.

FWIW horizontal lines above/below green (fleet average) line is 300 miles upper, 280 miles lower. Car when new was 310.

There may be some argument that we have just had a warmer winter than previous, but that’s probably stretching what can be concluded from the graph.

What can be gleaned from the fleet average is that after an initial range drop, average range pretty much flat lines.

1713005069027.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't dwell on it too much. You are afterall talking about 24 miles indicated difference, that is something that would be lost on a bit of putting your foot down or a high speed hill
I would leave not charging it to 100% though on an older battery model - I think I have done that myself once in maybe a year of ownership on my 2019 Performance and instantly regretted it as the lack of regen took away my usual one pedal driving for a few miles. Even on a longer trip down to Cornwall I don't bother now, maybe 85% or 90% as I am always going to stop on the way down to Newquay and charge up so I have battery for the weekend without worrying about it and even that will probably change once they eventually get Fraddon SC finally commissioned!

Reactions: boombap
My 2020 3LRwould have been about 310 when new. I keep it 80% rightly or wrongly.
100% now is about 298 but last year during a holiday it showed 305 at 100%
The actual mileage returned on that journey was closer to 320 as it was warm and I was light footed 😁

Reactions: karlos22
As @init6 says really. I'd google BMS calibration and Cell balancing. The drop off you've seen isn;t really weather dependant as it doesn;t really take the temperature into account. The real world range does but thats not whats being displayed.

I think of the BMS as a trying to draw a straight line through some dots on graph paper when I was at school, the further the dots are apart the easier it is to do. The car can only get a stable "dot" if left at a given state of charge for a number of hours (something to do with natural cell balancing I think), so if your usual habit is to keep charging it back up, most of your "dots" will all be at one end of the spectrum. I don;t think you need many but letting it sit over night from time to time at lower states of charge helps give a wider spread. If you run the Tesla battery health checker through the secret service menu it seems to run the battery down to virtually zero and then charge it up slowly to get these readings and go on to cell balance at 100% - it takes over 24 hours, the DIY guide is nearly as good.

There's been an interesting set of yourtube videos from tesla-info on battery degradation and looking at what appears to be thousands of cars and 10's of thousands of data points shows there's an initial drop off in capacity and then they level off, but 10% or so whioch you've seen does seem to be a little lower than typical which points to calibration.

The good news is its highly unlikely to be a developing fault with the battery, they rarely seem to slowly fail, they seem to perform fine or fail fairly quickly and you#d start to get warning messages.

From my experience, the battery estimates are based on actual drive data. Since getting my Tesla in September 2023 I've done mostly short/urban drives and my estimate was looking low. I did one long drive from London - Manchester and then a return, the max estimated range had gone up considerably.

From my experience, the battery estimates are based on actual drive data. Since getting my Tesla in September 2023 I've done mostly short/urban drives and my estimate was looking low. I did one long drive from London - Manchester and then a return, the max estimated range had gone up considerably.
If you’re talking about the figure at the top of the screen it’s not based on driving style, which is unusual compared to others. The older MS and MX are based on.”typical” consumption, the M3 and MY based on the EPA efficiency tests average consumption, the Tesla user guide explains it (albeit badly). Essentially it’s the energy available in the battery divided by the watts per mile figure from the EPA test

Reactions: buss
The displayed mileage on the title bar is not a guesstimate based in previous driving behaviour/consumption. It’s the theoretical range based on the EPA rated range using the BMS estimate of charge in the battery. If the number is falling it means the BMS thinks the battery capacity is reducing. It could be that the BMS is out of calibration, or that the battery has some degradation (or both).

The displayed mileage on the title bar is not a guesstimate based in previous driving behaviour/consumption. It’s the theoretical range based on the EPA rated range using the BMS estimate of charge in the battery. If the number is falling it means the BMS thinks the battery capacity is reducing. It could be that the BMS is out of calibration, or that the battery has some degradation (or both).
How do I or does it calibrate

Also, when was the 294 figure seen? It’s still pretty chilly overnight and the battery takes a long time to warm up via ambient temperatures, so you might be comparing a BMS estimate based on weeks of cold overnight temps vs a few weeks of warm weather.

Hi. Normally I do only go to 80% and 100 on long journeys. I think the issue may be I don't run it down. It's rarely before 70%

All things being equal short top ups are good. However, if your normal pattern of use means that it's rarely down below 70% then you have a huge opportunity to give your battery pack an even easier time. It seems like you are mostly within not much more than a 10% usage of the pack capacity (unless when going on long trips). This narrow band could simply be shifted so that you set your charging daily limit to 65% ... so you are regularly topping up from between 50/55% after daily driving to 65%. This should be ideal for long-term battery health. However, as has been stated by others, you do need to occasionally dip down to 20% or a bit below, as well as your occasional high percentage charges, so that the Battery Management System knows where the limits are.

I have less leeway having the smaller battery pack (SR+) so my daily use most commonly ranges between about 40% and 75% other than for trips... and my car is always plugged in when at home and topped to 75% at night ... so I may use nothing ... sits at 75% ... or I use down to say 45% ... back to 75% overnight ... use nothing for a couple of days remains plugged in ... then use 25% ... topped up overnight back to 75% or 70% in the summer when efficiency/range improves. In October 2022 I had made that reduction to 75% from using 80% or 90% as my top up levels. I made the change when I started detailed monitoring (using Tessie app + web) in October 2022. Tessie shows the average for similar spec cars at same mileage and mine started out very slightly better than average but has added zero additional degradation since ... in fact it has slightly improved since then to now! The average capacity/mileage graph for all cars on the graph has very gradually kept going downward but my own graphing points average (whilst going up and down over time) has measurably (slightly) improved.

I can't claim that my own strategy is necessarily the best ever (though it is a pattern that is informed by reading about how lithium ion batteries best perform in testing) ... and my improved capacity may also be the result of Tesla BMS software tweaks, or BMS being out of whack when I started recording data or even just a total anomaly but I can say that I see no noticeable change to the screen percentages for the journeys that I make today to the journeys I was making 18 months ago ... or in fact from when the car was new, though it must be slightly different even if not noticeable. Maybe if the battery icon had been showing miles all the time rather than a percentage I would notice changes and start worrying about them! Though I hadn't started noticing degradation the reason I started to use Tessie app was to get a better handle on how battery health was going ... thankfully, so far, it's been reassuring.

Forum members are permitted to put referral codes in their profiles for the likes of Tessie app, Teslafi, Octopus, Tesla etc ;)

Reactions: Snos Rap75