Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually that's what makes it even more dangerous, since the body of the car isn't absorbing the impact, your own body will. Why do you think the Model S has proved to be so safe? Because of the large crumple zones that lengthen the impact deceleration time, thus reducing the force. Where are the crumple zones on a smart car? Exactly.
guys, I meant that the smartcar was safe for its size. It's rigid body structure won't absorb impact but will prevent the body from becoming a total sandwich. I'm not a big fan of em and I would way rather be in a Model S. Of course the Model S is safer, it's physics. I'm not saying the smartcar is one of the safest cars out there, I meant that it was safer than comparable cars. It holds up much better than what I expected it to

I saw one on the way home from work yesterday. New (still had "Zero Emissions" tag). On west side perimeter around 6pm. Silver, and had P85 badging.

WP_20130911_002.jpg

Spotted - a Black S85 with Tan/Obeche Gloss/Temp NJ Tags at Newark SuperCharger

Looks like plenty of room at the Newark Supercharger. Probably my last time here in my Camry Hybrid.

Can't wait for my MS!!!

- - - Updated - - -

When I came out after some Starbucks and BK, I found the black S85 gone, presumably topped up and a White S60 with Tan, Pano and 19" wheels sitting at the side station charging. That one had Maryland plates. I wonder what speed charge they were getting as the only car there...

By the way - my Hybrid ICE can be seen to the right of the pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,008
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.2 KB · Views: 994
Last edited:
I've used that Supercharger at least a half a dozen time and have only seen another Model S there once.

Looks like plenty of room at the Newark Supercharger. Probably my last time here in my Camry Hybrid.

Can't wait for my MS!!!

- - - Updated - - -

When I came out after some Starbucks and BK, I found the black S85 gone, presumably topped up and a White S60 with Tan, Pano and 19" wheels sitting at the side station charging. That one had Maryland plates. I wonder what speed charge they were getting as the only car there...

By the way - my Hybrid ICE can be seen to the right of the pic.

There's a brand new Gray P85 with temp NJ tags sitting in the parking lot where I work here on Executive Blvd. in Rockville, MD. It still has the manufacturer window decal on it. Has the parking sensors too.

The first time I've seen another Model S in the lot besides mine.

Left him a nice little welcome note along with a pointer here. :)

All I can say is that just in my little town in Southern California (newer community with home prices $250k to $ 4 million), Model S cars are growing explosively. When 3 of my friends- all in the same town- had just purchased or ordered them back in December 2012, I jumped into the stock. Now I see many many more 60s and 85s in the whole range of colors. That is what gives me confidence in continuing to purchase TSLA...
Here on the East Coast we certainly have fewer. My understanding is there are 5 Model Ss in Delaware. Granted we are a small state but I run into people every day who ask if Tesla is a Russian made car (no kidding) or a Fisker (as the Atlantis was suppose to be built here). We do not have the State tax credits on this coast like you have in California and our utility rates and gas prices are considerably less.
However, I am still surprised that I do not see more Model Ss. I have to go over to the Newark, DE. supercharger to see others. I think as the word continues to get out mid America and the east Coast are ripe for the Tesla taking. My brother and his friends in Maine are waiting for more expansion in the supercharger network to buy.

Here on the East Coast we certainly have fewer. My understanding is there are 5 Model Ss in Delaware. Granted we are a small state but I run into people every day who ask if Tesla is a Russian made car (no kidding) or a Fisker (as the Atlantis was suppose to be built here). We do not have the State tax credits on this coast like you have in California and our utility rates and gas prices are considerably less.
However, I am still surprised that I do not see more Model Ss. I have to go over to the Newark, DE. supercharger to see others. I think as the word continues to get out mid America and the east Coast are ripe for the Tesla taking. My brother and his friends in Maine are waiting for more expansion in the supercharger network to buy.
Yes, in Greenwich CT (very rich area) I'm starting to see more and more Model S's. when I first got mine in Feb it was rare to see another one, now I see one or two every day it seems in my daily driving which isn't that much.

Yes, in Greenwich CT (very rich area) I'm starting to see more and more Model S's. when I first got mine in Feb it was rare to see another one, now I see one or two every day it seems in my daily driving which isn't that much.

I'm currently living in Montreal and also slowly seeing more MS's. In fact, just today I was walking down the street explaining how awesome Tesla is to a visiting friend and as we turn the corner (it couldn't have been any more perfect) there was a MS parked right there. I pointed out all the cool features of the car to my friend and feel pretty confident I hooked a future buyer, haha.

Since we are now talking about the appearances of Model S'es, here is what I see in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I live in a town called Atherton in the Bay Area, it's a pretty nice neighborhood. Model S'es started to pop up around here about 6 months ago, before TSLA's epic run. At that time, I'd see about one or two Model S'es a day. Now a days I'd see about three or four a day. And yesterday, I had to drive on the crowded 101 Freeway during traffic hours. In the matter of 20 minutes, I saw about 10 Model S'es on the HOA lane in the opposite direction. They are everywhere now.

Another observation is that where I work in the South Bay (Cupertino to be exact), Model S'es are pretty rare. My company has plenty of charging stations for electric cars, but they are mostly taken by the Leaf's, the Volt's, but not Model S'es. Seems that Model S'es are still out of reach for the masses. After all, it's $100K.

In any case, I'd imagine there are still a lot of rich people out there that have not heard of Tesla. Still a big market out there for the Model S (and later the Model X). The better days for Tesla are still ahead.

One more thing. A good friend just bought one: P85+. When TSLA was below $40, he margined his account pretty heavily, sold it all at $130, bought a Model S. Boy, that thing was wonderful to drive (he let me have a go). For those of you that have one already, you have a great car!

Good luck to all.

Every time I drive into LA, I see about a dozen. Way back in June, driving from Santa Barbara to LA, to Newport Beach and back, around 220 miles, I saw 23 and then gave up watching for them. In Ventura/Santa Barbara, (small cities) I see one or two or three nearly daily. With these sorts of numbers and a couple of visits to the factory, yep, I feel pretty good about being long on TSLA. Within 3 blocks of my house we have 1 Tesla, 3 Leaf and two Sparks.

I saw 3 other Model S's in the Greenwich area Wednesday - all within a few hours. They are definitely a lot more appearing here on the east coast!

Aaron

I live in a town called Atherton in the Bay Area, it's a pretty nice neighborhood.

That is quite a low key introduction, James. You seems to live in the best neighborhood to have the Model S :).

I remember in March also before the epic run, there was an article about Model S's market success rate is 100% in new purchase. The author did some investigation by going around the Atherton neighborhood. Among all the high end luxury cars that has a new license plate, which is his criteria of new purchase, every one of those goes to Model S. He did not see any BMW 5/7, Mercedes E/S with a new license plate.

It was a mind blowing observation, one of the sign that Tesla is quickly taking over the high end luxury market. And we are know it becomes official as news come out in two months. Have testing driven the car myself, I can be assure I wasn't over optimistic about the positive things I see.

Among other signs that give me confidence is their job listing. I was interested finding a job in Tesla back then. :) Two things impressed me: back in Feb. they already have hundreds of listing in many (like 30) countries. And if I remember correctly, one of their standard requirements on the candidate is "graduate from the top colleagues", the same phrase Google used. I was quite taken back because I was never a fan of Google's hiring practice. The way they think they are smarter than other people turns me off. But boy for Tesla to have the ball to mandate their new hire to be "graduate from the top colleagues", they got to be very confident with themselves. I turned to my wife and said: I think they are going big. I certainly put my money where my mouth is :biggrin:.

Last edited:
Within 3 blocks of my house we have 1 Tesla, 3 Leaf and two Sparks.
Within my cul de sac neighbors of 6 houses, we have 1 Tesla, 4 Prius. Used to be 5 prius. If I extend to one block, the number of prius doubles.

I do not think the Hybrid is a long term solution. Now that Tesla and other car makers prove the All electric cars work, the shift to pure electric will accelerate.

There's a brand new Gray P85 with temp NJ tags sitting in the parking lot where I work here on Executive Blvd. in Rockville, MD. It still has the manufacturer window decal on it. Has the parking sensors too.

The first time I've seen another Model S in the lot besides mine.

Left him a nice little welcome note along with a pointer here. :)

Funny - I read your post quickly and thought I had been spotted. I work on Exec blvd too, but mine is a Grey S60 and my temp tags are VA. Three Model Ses on a tiny road - what is it, 2 miles long?

I live in Ashburn VA, about 30 miles West of Washington DC. It's in Loudoun County which has been one of the fastest growing high-tech corridors in the nation for the past decade. As such it has a reasonably high percentage of folks who are both tech-saavy and high income.

That having been said, there are relatively few Tesla's around here. I see perhaps one other Model S every other week or so. I know of only a handful in the area around me. They are rare enough that when people see mine it's still an attention grabber. In the last 2 days I've had two "stoplight conversations" about it initiated by folks in the other lane (well, one was a construction worker).

I also work in Rockville, MD about 15 minutes from the Tesla Service Center. There are even fewer up here it seems.

A couple days ago I drove through Rockville to Bethesda, MD and saw two white Model S. One was a P85 heading south on Old Georgetown Road, the other was parked in an office lot on Parklawn Drive very close to Executive Blvd. Confirmed that they're still fairly rare in these parts, but we're multiplying :)