Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick question to those that already payed for FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing on any screen thus far. When one considers purchasing it at the time of purchasing the vehicle, one should be aware it's "not coming right now" and that it'll only start to happen once AP2 has been fully vetted and sorted. Although I believe Musk indicated it to start in the next couple of months, sage advice is that it'll invariably take longer and certainly it'll be "feature-by-feature" instead of "all at once". The consolation is that you will save a few dollars instead of buying it once it's introduced.

I'll go ahead and make a prediction: we'll see differentiating features 2 (major) updates from now. The next (major) update will bring perpendicular parking and auto wipers for EAP, rounding out major feature parity with AP1. The following one will bring speed limit reading for both and stopping at red lights/stop signs for FSD.

The major caveat is to cover for minor bug fix updates. And these are, of course, based on nothing but intuition based on the pace of previous updates.

...debating now or later.
1. Are you going to buy it? Yes?

2.a What can you realistically do with money between now and when it's viable enough to a point you would purchase it?
2.b Can whatever you do with the funds cover the after-the-fact-purchase premium?
2.c What do you think will happen with pricing? Will it go up, go down, or stay the same?

3. When will it be viable? Sometime in the future, I suspect. Elon says two years. Elon also says many things though.

FWIW I opted for it. Guessing the price for FSD will either stay the same or increase, I do not expect it to decrease. Also I expect Tesla to retrofit whatever components they need to in order to get it to FSD - i.e. if they need more processing power to support FSD, I'd expect them to retrofit the car at their expense.

We pre-purchased it partially to protect us.

Nowhere in any of the agreements does it state that it "may not" come to the current generation (ie, need AP3 hardware), it states that it is only pending regulatory approval. (Which I expect 1-2 yrs)

If they decide in a year that the hardware is insufficient, anyone that prepaid will have to be offered a free retrofit to whatever is required for it, once they offer it with whatever hardware they offer it on(or could very easily sue).

We read through the entire purchase agreement and didn't see any convenient legalese to protect them against this occurrence.

We pre-purchased it partially to protect us.

Nowhere in any of the agreements does it state that it "may not" come to the current generation (ie, need AP3 hardware), it states that it is only pending regulatory approval. (Which I expect 1-2 yrs)

If they decide in a year that the hardware is insufficient, anyone that prepaid will have to be offered a free retrofit to whatever is required for it, once they offer it with whatever hardware they offer it on(or could very easily sue).

We read through the entire purchase agreement and didn't see any convenient legalese to protect them against this occurrence.

The only contingency is if regulators are not hardware agnostic and mandate hardware that isn't part of hw2. Nothing i recall in the language mandates Tesla upgrade in that situation.

This is a good point. If it doesn't work with current hardware, we're covered by a legally binding agreement. Anyone who didn't pay for FSD could end up with a much more costly upgrade, having to cover the hardware cost themselves.

This is a good point. If it doesn't work with current hardware, we're covered by a legally binding agreement. Anyone who didn't pay for FSD could end up with a much more costly upgrade, having to cover the hardware cost themselves.

This was why I prepurchased as well. It wasn't much more, and nothing prevents Tesla from jacking up the after-purchase price of FSD once it delivers useful functionality. Apart from giving Tesla an interest free loan for a while, I see more risk in waiting than buying.

Let's do the math...
$3000 up front with an average 6 year loan at 1.99% (seems to be the average right now for Tesla loans)
Total payments of: $3,185.15
Interest of $185.15

If you could earn say 6% on that money for 6 years (highly unlikely) the numbers would look like this:
Investment of $3,000 invested 6 years at 6% return: $3,579.74. Still not the $4,000 minimum you would have to pay for FSD activation after delivery.

If you purchase FSD after order it will cost you a minimum of $4,000. The $4,000 figure is what it would cost today. If Tesla finds out it will take a swap out of the FSD processor to another system that cost of $4,000 is not in any way guaranteed and could change to any amount. Those of us that have pre-purchase FSD "feel" like we are somewhat protected by any price changes because we have already paid for the product/service.

Anything is possible but as it is now I feel pretty comfortable with the decision to pre-purchase FSD.

Don't think so. All they have to do is get to full production on the Model 3 and they'd be fine.

Don't forget that option "C" will open Tesla to a wide range of lawsuits, especially in other countries with greater consumer protection laws.

And it's not just a refund of the option: it's easy to formulate the argument that you would not have gotten the Tesla if it weren't for the self driving capability. It would open Tesla to large buyback settlements.... not to mention play right into the dealership association "Tesla can't be trusted to sell to consumers" argument....

It would be a very difficult mess to escape from

Don't think so. All they have to do is get to full production on the Model 3 and they'd be fine.

They're going to start production on the Model 3 in 2 months. If they haven't noticed a need for completely new hardware(where a retrofit is impossible) by now, it's too late. They'll get sued into the ground by everyone who paid for it(refunds or no).

They can get away with the board swap because they've publicly talked about the possibility since they first announced FSD capabilities. If the cars they touted as being capable of it simply arent, that's a different story. And with the numbers of Model S, X and 3's that'd be produced by then, they'll be sunk.