Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about recent firmware and non-AP Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All. Sorry I asked a similar question a while ago but never got a response so I thought I would ask again. I am a long-time firmware holdout (still running the last version of V9 UI) and I have a non-AP 2018 Model 3 with just the 'dumb' cruise feature.

With so far generally positive rumors of the upcoming holiday update feature set, it is making me consider finally letting the car update. However I do have some questions/ concerns about what I might be giving up or other changes and I would love to hear from others (especially any with other non-AP Model 3s). Here are my questions:

I know I would be giving up radar, but the only feature I can think that would effect would be automatic emergency braking. Is that true? Any issues with this? Is AEB itself much more prone to false positives now or anything (when not on AP/TACC)?

I know with AP/TACC there are now the horrible auto high beams and auto wipers requirements. I assume there is nothing like that for non-AP cars?

I assume I can still permanently disable lane departure avoidance and emergency lane departure avoidance? (I know you can't in Europe, but I am in North America)

Any other changes in the last two years I may have missed specific to these cars? I follow these forums decently closely, but the non-AP cars are rarely discussed so just thought I would ask.

I assume I can still permanently disable lane departure avoidance and emergency lane departure avoidance? (I know you can't in Europe, but I am in North America)

From the current online manual Lane departure avoidance can be turned off permanently, but emergency lane departure avoidance cant. See below for quotes from the online manual.

I dont have any other feedback as my 2018 has hardware 3.0 and FSD (although I dont use FSD very often).

================================

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance​

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance automatically applies steering to avoid a potential collision in situations where:
  • Model 3 is departing a lane and may collide with a vehicle traveling in the same direction in the adjacent lane (regardless of the status of the turn signal).
  • Model 3 is departing a lane into an oncoming lane, the turn signal is off, and an oncoming vehicle is detected.
  • Model 3 is departing the road and the turn signal is off (for example, very close to the edge of the road and a collision may occur).
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is automatically enabled at the beginning of every drive. You can turn it off for the current drive only by touching Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.
When Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance applies steering, a chime sounds and the touchscreen displays a warning and highlights the lane marking in red.
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance operates when Model 3 is traveling between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on a road with clearly visible lane markings, curbs, etc.

Lane Departure Avoidance​

Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to warn you if Model 3 is drifting out of, or nears the edge of, your driving lane.
Lane Departure Avoidance operates when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on roads with clearly visible lane markings. You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:
  • Off: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
  • Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheel vibrates.
  • Assist: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model 3 in a safe position if Model 3 drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.

All the forced Vision-only nannies are not an issue for you so long as you are still on HW2.5 and did not upgrade to HW3.x for any reason.

A non-AP 2018 with basic cruise control only is not specific enough. You have to factor in HW/AP version into the equation. If your car is HW3 Atom or Ryzen it will be forced to Tesla vision. If HW2.5 Atom, it will retain radar functions.

No real reason to update to 2022.44.25.x unless you want some specific features that were added between v9 and now.
There are a few I can think of that I would vote for but its a highly personal call.

The GUI changes alon fron v9 to late 2022 v11 might drive you crazy, or perhaps make you happy. Who knows.

Reactions: smogne41
All the forced Vision-only nannies are not an issue for you so long as you are still on HW2.5 and did not upgrade to HW3.x for any reason.

A non-AP 2018 with basic cruise control only is not specific enough. You have to factor in HW/AP version into the equation. If your car is HW3 Atom or Ryzen it will be forced to Tesla vision. If HW2.5 Atom, it will retain radar functions.

No real reason to update to 2022.44.25.x unless you want some specific features that were added between v9 and now.
There are a few I can think of that I would vote for but its a highly personal call.

The GUI changes alon fron v9 to late 2022 v11 might drive you crazy, or perhaps make you happy. Who knows.
Since mine is a July 2018 build and I have not had the MUC replaced I should still have HW2.5. I did not know that HW2.5 will still have the radar active, that is good to know.

Yeah, still not a fan of the V11 UI design, but waiting to see if there are enough refinements with the Holiday update to make it better. None of the introduced features in the last two years has really made it worth it for me to upgrade. The return of the cards sounds very positive, but still does not address all I dislike. And the fact that ELDA now comes back on every drive will probably also keep me away.

Sounds good, in that case you are in the same boat as me (legacy Model 3 HW2.5/Atom setup and sensor suite, no EAP/NoA/FSD, as close to manual control as possible with these cars).

Pre-HW3 cars, Atom and Ryzen alike, retain radar functions and do not force any of the Tesla Vision features (auto-headlights, auto-wipers) And camera blocked for reason xyz feature cripple does not impact you either.

If I were you I would continue to skip 44.25.x and see what Tesla does in 2023.x builds and once v12 rears its head. Its likely that with HW4 and HD-radar right around the corner, more and more features will be limited to Ryzen-era and new hardware only.... but the GUI changes will come along for the ride either way.

• Informative
Reactions: smogne41