Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Taking delivery soon - to no surprise I have discovered public charging prices are significantly higher than when I initially looked at purchasing a Tesla a few years ago!

I'm looking for advice / suggestions on public charging incentive schemes, due to not having frequent daily access to domestic charging, as my work accommodation policy prohibits 3 pin charging (which would be ideal for an overnight top up every few days!)

I live 300 miles away from home for work in Portsmouth, but when I am at home, my commutes are short and few so I'm still debating whether it is even worth getting a 7kw home charger.

Although I didn't buy a M3 for the sole reason of economy, I would like to try and maximise any savings compared to my current <40mpg petrol.

My current charging options for my day-to-day in Portsmouth are: A 64p/kwh at my office, which is only 5 miles from away from my Portsmouth residence, which charges at 24kw speeds so is more than sufficient for a top up during office hours or a full charge prior to embarking on my 300 mile journey.

AND

Tesla's supercharging network: I read that prices vary, but similar to the above. May be worth me paying for the £10.99 subscription and try to avoid any other ludicrously priced rapid chargers.

I'd appreciate any advice people can provide - hopefully this is a short term situation, pending a change of work location in the next year where I have more control over facilities available to me.

Cheers,

Ash

May be worth me paying for the £10.99 subscription and try to avoid any other ludicrously priced rapid chargers.
If you own a Tesla you don’t need that subscription, you’ll automatically get the cheapest price which is around 37p per kWh at the moment depending on which supercharger you use.

The subscription is only for owners of other car brands who want to use the superchargers.

Reactions: Ash92 and Big Earl
If you own a Tesla you don’t need that subscription, you’ll automatically get the cheapest price which is around 37p per kWh at the moment depending on which supercharger you use.

The subscription is only for owners of other car brands who want to use the superchargers.
Oh, I didn't know this - thanks! I was budgeting for up to 75p per kWh due to the cost of nearby chargers in my area. This is good news!

Have you taken a look at ZapMap? There are quite a few chargers dotted around Portsmouth of varying speeds/cost, there may be something reasonably close to office or accommodation that offers a better price than 64p/kWh.

Otherwise superchargers in the wider area probably your best option; Havant, Liss and Winchester come immediately to mind.

Reactions: boombap and Ash92
Avoid charging between 4 and 9pm and the Portsmouth and Winchster Superchargers are 39p /kwh currently, you are unlikely to find a better price/speed combo.

You mention a 24KW charger, this is likely to be AC, which a Model 3 can charge at 11KW max. That should be about 40mph, probably not something you'll want to wait at while it charges if you aren't doing anything else. If it's there at your work then I would use that personally and avoid stopping on the way home.

Reactions: boombap
Have you taken a look at ZapMap? There are quite a few chargers dotted around Portsmouth of varying speeds/cost, there may be something reasonably close to office or accommodation that offers a better price than 64p/kWh.

Otherwise superchargers in the wider area probably your best option; Havant, Liss and Winchester come immediately to mind.

I have, unfortunately the only ones nearby are rapid chargers and more expensive than my current options. There is a Geniepoint at my local Morrisons for 75p / kWh 🤮

May be worth taking a look at supermarkets a little bit off my usual commute.

Reactions: Masklin
Avoid charging between 4 and 9pm and the Portsmouth and Winchster Superchargers are 39p /kwh currently, you are unlikely to find a better price/speed combo.

You mention a 24KW charger, this is likely to be AC, which a Model 3 can charge at 11KW max. That should be about 40mph, probably not something you'll want to wait at while it charges if you aren't doing anything else. If it's there at your work then I would use that personally and avoid stopping on the way home.
Thanks for the info.

Is there any particular reason you suggest charging on the AC at work prior to my long commute, as opposed to stopping at a supercharger on route?

A few years back when I was originally reading into owning a Tesla, it was discussed that relying primarily on fast charging can accelerate battery degradation. Not sure if this is true these days, however it seems pretty apparent that anything but the standard range should be kept 20-80% capacity where possible.

A few years back when I was originally reading into owning a Tesla, it was discussed that relying primarily on fast charging can accelerate battery degradation. Not sure if this is true these days, however it seems pretty apparent that anything but the standard range should be kept 20-80% capacity where possible.
It's a bad idea to leave the battery close to 100% or low for any length of time. But if I know I'm definitely using the EV the next day and might need some range I've no problem charging to 100% overnight. I do limit to 80% or 90% if I'm just topping up. No sign of much battery degradation on 2 ZOEs (3 years each) or a Model 3 over 2 years.

Reactions: Ash92
Tesla's supercharging network: I read that prices vary, but similar to the above.

Do any of the Superchargers on that route have variable prices? Some have different rates time-of-day. Dunno if that would be inconvenient for you, but you might be better off charging either morning on outbound journey / evening on return (depending which has better price)

unfortunately the only ones nearby are rapid chargers and more expensive than my current options

Unless you can make use of the time are sat there you might choose to pay more for a shorter stop ...

A few years back when I was originally reading into owning a Tesla, it was discussed that relying primarily on fast charging can accelerate battery degradation

Back then the speed at which the car would charge would reduce (after a significant number of Rapid Charges), to protect the battery. Pretty sure that not a thing, any more, with M3 / MY.

I live 300 miles away from home for work in Portsmouth

Try the journey (and any other long journeys you have) in ABetterRoutePlanner - choose the Make / Model etc. (and set temperature / weather etc. if you want to see how Winter / Summer compare)

Thanks for the info.

Is there any particular reason you suggest charging on the AC at work prior to my long commute, as opposed to stopping at a supercharger on route?

It's unlikely that you'll be able to make a 300-mile commute without stopping once at a Supercharger, even if you leave with a fully-charged battery.

Your easiest and most cost-effective approach is to install a home charger to get you most of the way to work, then use Superchargers for the rest of your commute. If your workplace charging is less expensive than Superchargers, take advantage of it.

Most of the Superchargers in the UK are £0.39/kWh from 8 PM - 4 PM, and £0.43/kWh from 4 PM - 8 PM.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

If you are working anyway it's not taking any of your time, stopping and SuperCharging will be adding maybe 30 minutes. Neither is really going to have a predictable effect on your battery life unless you were planning to keep the car 15 years.

I think my point is that it doesn't matter, either option is fine so find whatever ends up being most convenient to you. In general for me that would be the nearest charger to where the car is stationary anyway.

Thank you all! Very useful info
Are you aware that you can sign up to a time of day tariff like Octopus Intelligent and get 6 hours overnight charging at rates of 7.5p per kwh without paying any more in the daytime. You can do this even if you are only using a granny charger but it obviously works best with a dedicated charger since 6*2kwh is only 12kwh.
either way you need to try leaving for work on 100% ish to maximise the low cost.

p.s. if you are not an Octopus customer I am sure many people on here ( myself included 😁) would offer you a referral code to get a £50 credit if you switch. There are other similar tariffs but the general consensus is the Octopus are the best at present.

You can do this even if you are only using a granny charger but it obviously works best with a dedicated charger since 6*2kwh is only 12kwh.

Point to add is that losses, using Granny charger, will be more than using a 7kW wall-charger. There has been conversation here that people doing low mileage won't get enough payback (from reduction of losses) to pay for the wall charger.

Flip side, all houses (with off street parking) will fit wall chargers at some point ... so unless you are likely to move soon, and don't think the new buyers will care that the other house for sale in your street already has one ... then treat yourself! and start enjoying coming home, plugging in, and leaving home every morning with a full tank ... without having to visit a smelly forecourt, or twiddle your thumbs / find things-to-do whilst using a public charger. And pay 7.5p per unit (which is about 4 miles, so 2p-per-mile whereas your 40 MPG (if you consistently actually get that) is 17-20p per mile (when fuel is £1.50 - £1.70 per litre)

Reactions: 12Pack and Ash92
Point to add is that losses, using Granny charger, will be more than using a 7kW wall-charger. There has been conversation here that people doing low mileage won't get enough payback (from reduction of losses) to pay for the wall charger.

Flip side, all houses (with off street parking) will fit wall chargers at some point ... so unless you are likely to move soon, and don't think the new buyers will care that the other house for sale in your street already has one ... then treat yourself! and start enjoying coming home, plugging in, and leaving home every morning with a full tank ... without having to visit a smelly forecourt, or twiddle your thumbs / find things-to-do whilst using a public charger. And pay 7.5p per unit (which is about 4 miles, so 2p-per-mile whereas your 40 MPG (if you consistently actually get that) is 17-20p per mile (when fuel is £1.50 - £1.70 per litre)
The other thing that is never talked about is that you need approval from the DNO for a charger and although the National grid can cope the local wiring in housing estates was never designed for everyone to be drawing 7kw for hours at a time. The guy from the DNO I spoke to when i was having my fuse upgraded said it might get to a point where people are refused permission to have a charger because the local infrastructure is maxed out! so best to get in now 🤣

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The other thing that is never talked about is that you need approval from the DNO for a charger and although the National grid can cope the local wiring in housing estates was never designed for everyone to be drawing 7kw for hours at a time. The guy from the DNO I spoke to when i was having my fuse upgraded said it might get to a point where people are refused permission to have a charger because the local infrastructure is maxed out! so best to get in now 🤣

thought you only need to notify?

If you have a 100A/80A fuse you’re pretty set. Even with a 60A fitting a charger with load limiting based on house load to keep below 60A would also work. In all cases it should be straightforwards?

Though I'm sure you can get by without a home charger, if you have the ability to charge at home from a secure parking perspective, I would really encourage you to do this.

Public / super-charging should be really be used for long distance travel and then perhaps for those who really cannot charge at home.

thought you only need to notify?

If you have a 100A/80A fuse you’re pretty set. Even with a 60A fitting a charger with load limiting based on house load to keep below 60A would also work. In all cases it should be straightforwards?
they call it a notification but you are only supposed to go ahead with the install if the installer deems the total load to be <60 amps until the DNO confirms its OK I believe. So to me this is more of an approval.
At the moment either a fuse upgrade or unlooping is generally the only reason they give to refuse/delay and even then you can often install with the charger turned down to say 16amp then adjust it after the unlooping or fuse upgrade.
But what happens once we get to the point that the local infrastructure is maxed out? DNO could also give this as a reason for "delaying" approval but any upgrades are likely to take between years and never so this could turn into an indefinite delay in theory which I think is what the guy I spoke to was saying.

I take your point that if you already have an 80/100amp fuse then your properties requirements should already be included in the local load calculations at a higher level so maybe you are OK then. I am not an expert just going on what I was told and it does make sense. My estate was built in 1970. Its not looped but every house has a 60amp fuse and there is no way they anticipated half the properties consecutively pulling 7kw continuously for hours at a time. And that is before we all get heat pumps to replace our gas boilers.

Reactions: Mrklaw