Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions on P85D+ performance figures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Audi's own figure on their web site is 3.7 seconds, and I read two reviews (Autoblog and Jalopnik) that both said 3.7 seconds (perhaps they didn't actually get out a stopwatch and test it for themselves).

So Tesla only needs to get to 3.6 seconds to beat that.

The P85 already beats it, since the instant torque powers it forward especially at the beginning so by the time it hits 60MPH, the MS is ahead in terms of distance. There's videos of it beating Lamborghinis up to 100MPH, and even the GT-R is barely neck and neck with it, and that's a sub-3 second 0-60 car. If they're finally accepting 3.9 actual for the P85 and it's really 3.2 for the AWD, it's going to be a monster on the road. Pretty much everything else will be behind it under 100mph, and if the 2nd motor is geared differently as suspected, maybe it can keep pulling well beyond that.

Cool! I'm trying to do the same. A few questions for you:

- How far into the queue were you? What was your estimated delivery time?
- How much was it to upgrade to the D?
- Did they ding your deposit?

Cheers,

-- Greg

No problem if your car isnt already in production. AWD is an option at $14,600, website is up now. 691hp, unreal

Last edited:
Great! I hope it's not in production yet (for a delivery date of dec... does it spend more than 1.5 months in prod?)...

I went to their website - and it looks like there is no Performance Plus package for the D. Did I miss it?

Cheers,

-- Greg

No, it appears the D takes the place of the plus. I'm looking to see what is standard. Couple options gone, fog lights and motion sensors. Maybe they are standard as the autopilot is standard

Edit: they added the fog lights to Tech Package and sensors are integrated into autopilot

Website crash

You can get the D on the 60 and the S85 as well as the P85. But its only a $4,000 upgrade when you do the 60 or S85. Of couse its not the insane 691 hp of the P85D.

Oh, and the D will not ship until Feb.

Last edited:
Is 691 hp the actual power made available by the battery? I get suspicious when I read "motor power"... One example, both S60 and S85 boast a 380 hp "motor power", but the S85 accelerates faster to 60... Looking forward to seeing actual power curves.

You can get the D on the 60 and the S85 as well as the P85. But its only a $4,000 upgrade when you do the 60 or S85. Of couse its not the insane 691 hp of the P85D.

Oh, and the D will not ship until Feb.

When I built mine it gave an estimated delivery of Dec. i have actually asked to take delivery in Feb because I will be traveling in Dec and Jan but all the same it does estimate Dec, could be off I guess.

Edit: the P85D will be delivered beginning in Dec, the 60D and 85D will begin delivery in Feb.

Last edited:
For the P85D(+?), did he say there'd be a 50% gain on power with the "medium" sized regular motor in the front. So the final hp would be 600+ and the torque?

70922ae99463d7de9a4e086c58a5e862.jpg

Is 691 hp the actual power made available by the battery? I get suspicious when I read "motor power"... One example, both S60 and S85 boast a 380 hp "motor power", but the S85 accelerates faster to 60... Looking forward to seeing actual power curves.

I'm sure it must be. Otherwise the customers and press would be outraged by such a statement that could only be seen as intentionally misleading.

Probably not, 85kWh battery is still "limited" to ~370kW max output that is split between front and rear motor.
Dont forget RWD model S only has those 370kW between 40 and 75mph. When going slower or faster it cannot output all those 370kW any more.
The D can output 370kW at slower and faster speeds.

Just got back from the event. Was chatting with an engineer that worked on the motor and drivetrain on the D models, and he said that they are now pulling more out of the battery packs than they did in the non D version. I'm tired now and our discussion wandered greatly, but I did get the impression they had improved the power limits. The one thing I already know I forgot to ask him was about performance limiting after running it hard for a bit. I saw no evidence of limiting at the event, but the test rides weren't pushing the car for more than a few seconds (roughly 3.2 I'd guess :wink: )

Still a staggered tire config. He said the back tires were wider now, which surprised me. I didn't snap a pic of the tires though, so didn't get the specs.
Seat felt great.

Just got back from the event. Was chatting with an engineer that worked on the motor and drivetrain on the D models, and he said that they are now pulling more out of the battery packs than they did in the non D version. I'm tired now and our discussion wandered greatly, but I did get the impression they had improved the power limits. The one thing I already know I forgot to ask him was about performance limiting after running it hard for a bit. I saw no evidence of limiting at the event, but the test rides weren't pushing the car for more than a few seconds (roughly 3.2 I'd guess :wink: )

Still a staggered tire config. He said the back tires were wider now, which surprised me. I didn't snap a pic of the tires though, so didn't get the specs.
Seat felt great.
Thanks for sharing what you learned.

Was chatting with an engineer that worked on the motor and drivetrain on the D models, and he said that they are now pulling more out of the battery packs than they did in the non D version. I'm tired now and our discussion wandered greatly, but I did get the impression they had improved the power limits
Cool, thanks for the feedback, relieved, I really really wanted the idea of a Tesla S actually outputting ~700bhp to be true! I'm still puzzled as to why the S60 is suddenly more powerful than before (and same as S85), but still slower to 60 than the S85. Maybe the similar peak power is only achievable on a narrower speed bandwidth.