Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to transfer confirmed MX order to someone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a confirmed model X 90D (White, 7 seats, premium interior with black multi pattern seats, cold weather package) order which I placed in June 2016 and pushed the delivery to January 2017 in the hopes of getting AP 2.0 on my car. Thus I have paid $2,500 already to confirm the order.

As it has been the case I consider myself as someone who is willing to wait to get the car with new hardware, even though it's longer than expected.

I was told I can push delivery only once and that too a max of 6 months from date of placing the order. Thus I am wondering if tesla would allow me to transfer the confirmed order to someone else, Am not looking to make any profit on the transaction but do not want the risk of losing $2,500 if January happens and AP 2.0 is not ready and I have to cancel my order since I can't postpone it further.

Any helpful suggestions?

I think you have a better chance of convincing Tesla to cancel your order vs transferring it. Next time I'd wait to hear that that the feature you want is shipping before placing an order. Any value you might obtain by ordering early (4-8 weeks?) is not worth the risk of finding yourself in the situation you're currently in.

I think you have a better chance of convincing Tesla to cancel your order vs transferring it.
Why is it hard to transfer? I could try convincing them, but should have done it earlier when I requested to delay delivery instead of now. In my defense I had sent them a mail to cancel my order on the last day of the order window expiration but it was after 6PM. Not sure if that would hold water now. Have you heard cases of getting the $2,500 refunded back or they can apply it towards my future order?

I would call Tesla to discuss options.

With regards to your decision to wait for AP2.0, I'm not sure that's such a great idea right now. As with everything Tesla does, this is all up in the air and open to speculation.

However, since Tesla has decided to separate with MobilEye and Elon tweeted that they have some cool tricks they are going to try with the existing hardware, there is a good chance that there won't be any new AP 2.0 hardware coming soon.

It's entirely possible that all new features will be software related, using the existing hardware. Even if Tesla decides to simply add an additional forward-facing camera, it should be easy to retrofit existing vehicles with a 2nd camera (there is an empty slot for it).

Reactions: X Fan
I'd agree with @vandacca though that may be me being hopeful (delivery expected late September, and I've considered postponing for this very reason)

With the break from MobileEye I have a very hard time believing we'll be seeing new hardware soon, unless they've been working on it in secret for the past year.

I'd agree with @vandacca though that may be me being hopeful (delivery expected late September, and I've considered postponing for this very reason)

With the break from MobileEye I have a very hard time believing we'll be seeing new hardware soon, unless they've been working on it in secret for the past year.

Remember that Tesla was using their own software on top of MobileEye. I think it's likely Tesla is much closer to a releasable solution w/o MobileEye than you might think. Pure speculation on my part.

Reactions: NathanWolf
Thanks for the responses so far, i am definitely going to talk to Tesla and evaluate my options, problem is i do not like my ownership adviser as she doesn't have any accurate information. Who would be the right person here, the DS that is assigned to me or someone on the orders helpline? I am thinking this matter might require talking to someone higher up in the chain.

Regarding AP 2.0 I have been plugged into all AP 2.0 related threads going on TMC. It is still pure speculation and no one has a clear idea of what is in store for the future. I would however like to side towards the group who believes an additional hardware is required for AP 2.0 and by the end of the year there would be more clarity into what is in store. My read of Tesla's past experience with retrofits, it doesn't seem likely to me that they would offer one.

Last edited:
I don't believe your DS is the right person for this conversation. You would be better off calling Tesla directly (888-518-3752) or Email [email protected]

With regards to AP2.0, I agree that Tesla rarely retrofits new hardware into existing vehicles. But there are a few cases where they have done it, usually for a limited time after the new hardware is released.

Its possible it was how i got mine ( i just picked it up 3 weeks ago ) however the loss of deposits is between you and whoever takes it tesla bears no responses ability the deposit stays with the car ( i lost the deposit on mine but got the deposit on the one i assumed) and what ever the price was when it was ordered is the price that stays i got lucky cause mine was ordered before the price hike and some of the things that they charge extra for now were standard then.