Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I kind of figured too but isn't 3.5 stated and 3.2 real world performance about the same as what Model 3 performance got? P100D can do 2.4 sec 0-60. Porsche should make its $150K EV more or less perform like that (I thought it benchmarked the Model S). Either Porsche is not able or not willing to make it that way. It's probable some of both.

Neutral is always better. You will have more options to tune the chassis to whatever is best to suit your likes. Oversteering forced upon you is never desirable not to mention it can be dangerous lot of times. In the early days 911 got killed, both figuratively and literally, by Ferrari on race tracks. Many begged Porsche to go mid-engine. Porsche never wanted to do that not for engineering reasons but that would not be the 911 anymore. It's only saved later by electronic stability and traction controls. Although don't think YOU are driving the car if you are such a purist.

The new GT2RS cost 355k, not including the 150k market adjustment at many dealers, reasonably equipped and does 0-60 in 2.7 secs. Given that you won’t seem them sell a car for 150k that would outperform their best GT offering—just MHO. Porsche also claims that their performance numbers on the Taycan be hit repeatedly without degradation like other EVs—I’m guessing that’s aimed at Tesla. I have 3 Porsche GT cars and put a deposit on the Taycan because I’m hopeful it will drive and perform like a Porsche. It may not hit the 0-60 of the Tesla P100D cars but perhaps be a better driving experience. Either way it’s good for everyone if traditional manufacturers get serious about EVs. Hopefully competition will lead to innovation and decreased pricing making the tech more available.

Reactions: gowthamn and ICUDoc
A personal thing for sure. A lot of people like the standard or even comfort setting than the sport setting. Although your descriptions of steering too light and absent of road feel are more than personal perferences but in the territory of deliberate disparagement. And M3P did perform better than regular Cayman/Boxter on whatever tracks they had run. As for Nürburgring no one knows either way so it's pointless to throw that out every time. How many times you had ran or plan to run on that track?

Pretty much the same as the Audi e-tron spec which is of no surprise. Pretty bad efficiency compares to Tesla's.

I am not just disparaging. Above that I said the positives like throttle response.

I go to the track 10 to 15 days a year. But I also drive very aggressive on curvy roads where streeing feel and lateral grip is important.

But I also drive very aggressive on curvy roads where streeing feel and lateral grip is important.

The Model 3 will actually be better than at least your 718 in that regard. You just have to try it sometimes. I always took even my Model S over Cayman S when I do a weekend drive on highway 17 over Santa Cruz mountains. Tire grip indeed is the weaker link but that matters little since you can always get out of the uphill curve faster. Much more fun when you can do that.

Anyway I think you're too fixated on the idea that Tesla, especially the Model 3, handling can not match Porsche's. It's pretty much the opposite that. The advantages of low CoG and centrally located mass plus fast acting torque vectoring just can not be ignored.

Last edited:

Actually, very disappointing... VW is rewarded again for bad behavior. :cool:

Porsche Taycan owners will get three years of free charging on Electrify America’s network

Electrek’s Take
That’s actually disappointing. It feels like a step back from having their own network. Porsche’s previous plans felt like the most significant effort in fast-charging from an automaker since Tesla’s Supercharger network. Instead, they are going to rely on a third-party network.

Though it happens that the third-party network is owned by their parent company. What it shows really is that CARB and the EPA forcing Volkswagen to spend their settlement money on Electrify America is not really a “punishment” for Dieselgate. They are just using it for their own charging network.

Reactions: techmaven and CarlK

Porsche Taycan owners will get three years of free charging on Electrify America’s network

Electrek’s Take
That’s actually disappointing. It feels like a step back from having their own network. Porsche’s previous plans felt like the most significant effort in fast-charging from an automaker since Tesla’s Supercharger network. Instead, they are going to rely on a third-party network.

Though it happens that the third-party network is owned by their parent company. What it shows really is that CARB and the EPA forcing Volkswagen to spend their settlement money on Electrify America is not really a “punishment” for Dieselgate. They are just using it for their own charging network.

Agreed. It's like paying your fine but deposit it to your own bank account. Also if VW gives free charging to its own brand it should at least give the same free charging to other brands too.

So sad to see the Taycan design development... it has the worst elements of the Panamera and loses the Mission E vision.

upload_2019-1-28_19-58-28.png

Electrek’s Take

Maybe from a purist perspective. From a business perspective it’s a faster path to market. I know I will get slammed for this, but there are all sorts of justifications in threads for Tesla’s spotty service - along the lines of, “they are a new company, there are higher priorities...” So Porsche takes a faster path to market because it’s a higher priority - and it is disappointing. From where I sit, the faster there is real competition, the faster service gets better. I want Tesla to succeed (am on my second, and btw, I was going to buy a Porsche, but became enraptured by Tesla, so I didn’t).

I think the worst part is the planned locations - porsche dealerships? Those generally are only in big cities not between big cities.

Since most of our / their charging will occur at home, these locations will be primarily used by the dealer to charge up dealer cars while they await being sold. It's a terrible plan overall. Terrible.

Reactions: jgs and FlatSix911
I think the worst part is the planned locations - porsche dealerships? Those generally are only in big cities not between big cities.

Since most of our / their charging will occur at home, these locations will be primarily used by the dealer to charge up dealer cars while they await being sold. It's a terrible plan overall. Terrible.

Offering charging at dealerships is the worst idea ever. Don't know why manufacturers keep doing it - probably just easier than trying to secure space elsewhere. Dealerships are chronically short of parking space, this doesn't make it any easier, and yeah, they aren't in the correct locations at all. Typically, no food nearby, etc.

Yeah, a really terrible idea to have cars charged up quickly for test drives and have a fast charging station for the technicians to diagnose fast charging issues or validate repairs.
It's hilarious how Tesla fanboys make something negative out of this, when it's really just meant as an addition to the public fast charging networks out there.

It's hilarious how Tesla fanboys make something negative out of this, when it's really just meant as an addition to the public fast charging networks out there.

Lol. Addition to the public fast charging networks out there? Zero dealer stations + zero public stations = zero stations. Or say it's 2022, two chargers at dealers + few and far between fast public stations = not a network.

Also, I'm a Cayman S owner and have always loved Porsche since I was a kid. That still doesn't make this idea to build out these stations over actually useful stations a good idea. I'll bet money that they ICE block or park noncharging or completed charging EVs in these spaces at most locations because why not.

Last edited:
Yeah, a really terrible idea to have cars charged up quickly for test drives and have a fast charging station for the technicians to diagnose fast charging issues or validate repairs.
If they do like Nissan Dealerships, most stations are only accessible during business hours. Not a good plan either...

Reactions: skitown and walla2
I have 3 Porsche GT cars and put a deposit on the Taycan because I’m hopeful it will drive and perform like a Porsche. It may not hit the 0-60 of the Tesla P100D cars but perhaps be a better driving experience.

A 75k Performance Model 3 hits the GT 0-60, will do this all day long, and has track mode. Porsche is a newcomer to the EV market and the Taycan's specs show this quite well with inferior specs and double the price.

For daily driving, the performance 3 isn't going to let you down in terms of handling or comfort. If you're ever in Portland, I can let you prove it to you.

Heh, yeah, it's the fanboys only that see an issue with this. Why don't we ask GM or Nissan owners how well fast charging has worked out at places that aren't available 24/7. Oh, that would be me. Well, when we bought our LEAF the fast charger was inoperable (and was for months after, and still is for all I know) so we had to drive to my MIL's house and charge for 3 hrs to make it back to our house that was only 10 miles away.

Fanboys...yeah...they're a hoot.

It's simply not meant for that, which is what everyone seems to ignore. Those chargers are not there to support your cross country trip.

People seem to ignore that Tesla has the luxury of just selling EVs and just has 3 models. on sale. For them it's not big deal to have many of those ready for test drives. But a Porsche dealership won't have 10 Taycans just for customers to test drive so they need to be able to charge them quickly as there probably will be a lot of interest (otherwise the same people here will complain "oh Porsche did not have a car charged up for a test drive they don't want to actually sell it"). And with the new 800V systems it makes a lot of sense for the technicians to have quick access to those and not having to drive half an hour to the next fast charging stations to diagnose a battery issue or check if they correctly fixed the charger. Also allows sales people to really show the charging speed to customers which is also important since many Porsche owners won't be familiar with EVs.

It's simply not meant for that, which is what everyone seems to ignore. Those chargers are not there to support your cross country trip.

VW and Porsche tout loudly and often about their 800V network but then release details that they will be dealer locations. I get that dealers need to charge cars but a slow 14-50 overnight charge would likely do 50 test drives per day. I agree. It's a good idea to have them for testing and demonstration but shouldn't be their priority in my opinion over a real network.

But a Porsche dealership won't have 10 Taycans just for customers to test drive so they need to be able to charge them quickly as there probably will be a lot of interest (otherwise the same people here will complain "oh Porsche did not have a car charged up for a test drive they don't want to actually sell it").

There lies the problem. They should have 10 Taycans and 10 EV crossovers on hand. This isn't 1919. It's 2019. They are behind and their poor effort to change is not consistent with their long history of leading. Porsche purist really shouldn't be holding back and throwing stones Tesla. They should be demanding a real network and a Porsche top of line model that sets the benchmark.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: FlatSix911
Hahaha! Unless the dealer has someone dedicated to charging the cars, EVs are gonna get charged ONCE (if ever) and then put out into the lot. They'll get charged if someone wants to test drive it (if the charger is not ICED).

Same reason why they jump new cars at dealerships.