Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche finally got smart...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would appear Porsche bought a Tesla Model S... If I was a Porsche board member, I would be pi**ed they used these licence plate holders. It's obvious that every major OEM has bought a Tesla Model S to study it, but it doesn't make sense to openly show it like this.

Porsche drives Tesla Model S.jpg

To put it simply, literally every single car company out there is doing this. There is no reason whatsoever for them to hide it.
Hell, if their investors know that they're studying the car, they'll likely be pleased that Porsche is taking it seriously and making sure that they're keeping up with modern tech.
That being said, BRING IT!

Of all car companies Porsche is the one most threatened by the success of Tesla. I'm sure Model S has taken a lot of Panamera sales from Porsche. By next year Model X will do the same, and likely even more, harm to their cash cow Cayenne. Porsche might have to go back to what they were before, a struggling 911 maker, if they are not careful. Then they have to worry about the Roadster II which was said to be something "you have never seen before". I have always been a Porsche lover and a current Porsche owner but I really think they are into a very tough time because of Tesla.

@Bradlebee Yes Model S is covered by more than a hundred patents.

Last edited:
Porsche was pretty transparent 4-5 years ago when they bought a Signature 100 Roadster too. There were a few articles about the buy.
It just makes sense. I'd be more surprised if they didn't keep tabs on the competition. If they're not buying competitor's products, they're at least securing the use of them for comparisons and reverse-engineering.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a local car show with my Tesla and my former Porsche salesman walks up. After asking me how I liked my car, he said he had recently been at a training session in Utah for the new hybrid Panamera. Also mentioned that they were provided five Teslas to drive so that they would be able to compare the Tesla to the Panamera when they are selling the cars. When I mentioned there really is no comparison, he commented it is "like apples and oranges." Of course, he already knew I had gone the Tesla route (I previously had a 2009 911S), and knew there was no reason to try to convince me the Panamera is better.

Sounds like Porsche is feeling the competitive pressure.......

Of all car companies Porsche is the one most threatened by the success of Tesla. I'm sure Model S has taken a lot of Panamera sales from Porsche. By next year Model X will do the same, and likely even more, harm to their cash cow Cayenne. Porsche might have to go back to what they were before, a struggling 911 maker, if they are not careful. Then they have to worry about the Roadster II which was said to be something "you have never seen before". I have always been a Porsche lover and a current Porsche owner but I really think they are into a very tough time because of Tesla

I am also a Porsche owner and long time fan, and agree with your assessment.

Porsche is taking baby steps so far towards electric vehicles with their Panamera hybrid and 918 hybrid supercar. A few years ago they converted two Boxsters to pure EV but nothing seems to have come of that. Clearly the company wants to learn about hybrids, but they have a long way to go to an EV, and their long history as an ICE company is an obstacle to embracing an EV future.

It seems clear that Panmera sales are taking a hit, and the Model X is very likely to take significant SUV market share from the Cayenne. If and when Tesla comes out with a new Roadster, depending on the price and seating configuration (a true Roadster or a 2+2?) it could decimate Porsche's sports car sales.

If I was in Porsche management I would be very very concerned.