Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you have bought a front-wheel drive MS?

RWD vs FWD and Model S

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RWD is why I don't currently own a Model S (not a choice in your poll). I spend a lot of time in ski country in the Rockies. Wouldn't even think of owning a RWD car.

I am sure you will be happy with a Model X, but having driven our RWD Model S in 2.5 winters so far, and in ski country snow (Whistler), I have no concerns. With decent winter tires, the car will climb anything up to about 10-12% on icy surfaces.

- - - Updated - - -

Separately, a car this powerful would be un-drivable with front wheel drive. I briefly owned an Acura TL that had 250+ hp and FWD. It was horrid; I sold it!

Can somebody explain to me, as not a car guy, the driving dynamics difference between RWD and FWD? My first car was a FWD Honda Civic. My second car was an AWD Subaru. My third car is the Model S. I have no idea which of the many differences between these 3 cars were due to which wheels were under power. How would a FWD Model S have been different than the current version?

If anyone wants to drive a FWD Tesla, just go drive a Rav4 EV. Totally different experience than the Model S. The Rav has a ton of torque steer. It's still fun to drive, but the traction(even at a much lower power level) isn't anywhere near what the Model S has.

Can somebody explain to me, as not a car guy, the driving dynamics difference between RWD and FWD? My first car was a FWD Honda Civic. My second car was an AWD Subaru. My third car is the Model S. I have no idea which of the many differences between these 3 cars were due to which wheels were under power. How would a FWD Model S have been different than the current version?

I have actually only ever owned FWD cars personally, but have driven many RWD cars. As power and torque get much above 250 hp, FWD vehicles can start getting squirrely when driven aggressively. This is manifested in torque steer, and understeer (basically, the car wanting to continue to go straight as you're trying to turn). You can have essentially unlimited power with RWD, although you do get other issues. RWD cars are much more susceptible to tail-out oversteer (fun, but potentially dangerous) and can be a little more challenging to drive in snow or icy conditions.

I own a 274-hp FWD car. The power output is very satisfying, but the steering does get a little twitchy at full throttle. Personally, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker either way if the Gen-III was FWD or RWD, but I have a feeling it will be RWD, as that's what Tesla has experience with, as well as parts and assembly-line commonality. Plus, as someone said earlier here, the much smaller size and weight of an electric motor compared to an ICE gives a lot more packaging options to designers and engineers.

I've had all three types, and my take is that the tires and the driver make more difference than where the power is transferred to the road. Put on good tires, take an advanced (track) driving class in your car, and you won't have any problems regardless of drive configuration.

In the past I haven't been a big "performance car" sort of guy, I've been more drawn to comfort and/or tech features. I've only owned FWD cars, and since that's all I've ever known I was fine with them. My current car has enough hp that I can notice torque steer, though it's minor. Up until I drove the Tesla I would have been very leery of RWD cars given the general reputation they have of being hard to drive in winter.

But, now that I've driven the Model S and read more about it I'm looking forward to owning my first RWD car. (In addition to all the other 'firsts' the Model S brings to the table.)

FWD is considered safer for unskilled drivers because it is very very difficult to get the rear wheels to break loose. It is believed the inherent understeer characteristic is safer, that if you are going too fast in a turn the car simply goes straight(er). If you apply too much power in a turn, the car simply turns less (hence understeer). With RWD the back wheels can break loose and if not managed by the driver keep coming around and the vehicle spins. If you apply power, the rear breaks loose, and you let off hard, the result is also bad.

FWD simplifies some things for the designer, and makes other things more difficult. With FWD one has to provide flexible drive shafts to the wheels. Less flex is needed with full independent rear wheel drive, and none for live axles. Front engine rear wheel drive torques the chassis under power. You can see stock-based drag race cars twist and lift one wheel off the ground. Porsche 928, Mazda RX8, newer Corvettes have a torque tube to carry engine torque to the rear without loading the chassis.

FWD torque steer occurs when the designer doesn't do his job at balancing power delivery to both front wheels. Guaranteed torque steer results when front drive shafts are not equal in length. One "winds up" more than the other under high power resulting in uneven power delivery. Sometimes get torque steer even with equal length drive shafts.

If you don't mind building a vehicle with most mass on the front wheels then FWD is a natural choice and will provide better traction in snow. The behavior when sliding doesn't frighten some drivers the way a fishtailing rear would. Sadly some of those unfrightened drivers are not frightened because they don't know they are sliding.

FWD is not acceptable in a "driver's car" but is quite acceptable even desirable in an econobox.

AWD gives you the best of both worlds. Why do you suppose many ultra-highpowered luxury cars have taken this pathway? Besides much safer handling, tire wear is balanced, and more power can be delivered to the road without that crass wheel spin seen in overpowered non-AWD vehicles.

AWD gives you the best of both worlds.

AWD has drawbacks as well. Added weight. More stuff to break. The CV joints for the front axles do not allow a very steep angle, so the turning radius is larger than RWD. I really appreciate the tight turning radius of RWD when I have to do a U-turn on a narrow road, or some funky parking maneuver with other cars waiting for me to get out of the way.

Well, to each his own. Normally I prefer the even application of power to the pavement with AWD over a fishtailing rear end and can make a U-turn on city streets in my A8, which is all I need as far as turning radius goes. In the winter AWD with all-seasons is all I need to get up my driveway; with RWD or FWD on at least a monthly basis I need studded snows or chains. On glare ice it's a complete no-brainer. I enjoy 4-wheel power slides in the winter with AWD; driving backwards when the front and rear have swapped--well, that's just not quite as fun. Added weight penalty--yes, but it will be much less in an EV since there is no transmission, transfer case, or drive line. Tire wear is also much better in my AWD cars compared to my RWD automobiles, and I get great acceleration with AWD without having to burn rubber like a teenager. Sure, there are situations where RWD gives me a big grin, but overall, in my climate, AWD leads the pack (literally).