Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on battery size.

Which battery pack will you order for the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smorgasbord, good point...I guess saying it's significantly conservative would be a stretch. We don't have width/height info, although I'd be surprised if frontal area for the Model S is more than about 15% larger than the Roadster...so there should still be probably 5-10% savings. But just a guess.

Here's what I found:

Roadster:
Width: 72.9" without mirrors
Height: 44.4"
Ground clearance: 5.1"

Model S:
Width with mirrors: 86"
Mirror width (estimate): 8" each side
Height: 56"
Ground Clearance: 4.5"

Roadster area: 72.9" x (44.4" - 5.1") = 2865 in^2.
Model S area: (86" - 2 x 8") x (56" - 4.5") = 3605 in^2.

So the Model S is about 25% larger in frontal area, 23% smaller in Cd.

So I stand corrected...they're probably pretty similar, although I've heard rumors of the Model S Cd being .25, which would make its Cd 29% smaller than the Roadster.

Does anyone know if aerodynamic effects such as ground clearance are considered in the vehicle's Cd? I assume it is, but you never know. I think smaller ground clearance results in less drag. (NASCAR fans, correct me if I'm wrong...)

So according to your calculations the Model S width will be 3 inches narrower then the Roadster?! Good luck with that three adult rear seat!

I have two four-door sedans by different manufacturers. The width of the side mirrors on both of them are approximately 9", so 8" is not a crazy estimate.

I'm going off of published widths of the Roadster (without mirrors), along with the published width of the Model S (with mirrors). If you consider that the car tapers out perhaps a few inches from the mirrors, then maybe subtracting 8" is a bit more than necessary, but if you can find more accurate numbers, please enlighten us.

What is really as important as the size of the batterie, is the speed of the onboard charger. 150mile range with 22kw charger brings you quicker further on a long distance ride then a 3.5 kW charger (16A) with a 300mile pack

everywhere in Europe, you can find 32A 3-phase sockets, offering 3x32A = 96A = 22kW

Not everywhere. Most of Norway is only 230V 3-phase, not 400V. Thus 3x32=55A, 55A*230V=only 12.6kW. 22kW is still way too low to be usable on a road trip, I'd consider 44kW (3x63A) the bare minimum with a preference for 62.5kW CHAdeMO (probably around 60kW for the Model S, depending on battery voltage (I suspect around 480V)).

Not everywhere. Most of Norway is only 230V 3-phase, not 400V. Thus 3x32=55A, 55A*230V=only 12.6kW. 22kW is still way too low to be usable on a road trip, I'd consider 44kW (3x63A) the bare minimum with a preference for 62.5kW CHAdeMO (probably around 60kW for the Model S, depending on battery voltage (I suspect around 480V)).

3-phase 32A is 230V phase to neural. 400V is phase to phase. the charging is always done at 230V phase to neutral. If you have 230V phase to phase you have to calculate 32A * root of 3 = 55A

160 miles given my daily 55-mile-roundtrip commute (mixed city/hwy). Good enough for those sporadic 100-mile weekend trips as well. Will fall back to my wife's Mini Clubman (or a Hertz rental) for looonger trips!

Hmm.... having second thoughts about this. Given all the input I've seen about the 160 miles really being the very-ideal range (with new batteries, no lead-foot driving, no "showing-off" acceleration, warm enough weather, no hilly terrain etc. etc.), I wonder if those 100-mile weekend trips will be possible in just 2-3 years after I get the car (if the range drops to 80 miles at that point with all those factors in there).

It doesn't make sense if I cannot take this people-and-stuff mover for say, Newark, CA -> Santa Cruz, CA and back without having to recharge in Santa Cruz. In general, I'm quite wary of leaving the charging cable out there for vandals to target (just because they can) even if I can find a charging station to begin with - I can't babysit it through the charging period, of course.

Gosh, got to push my budget to get the 230-miler if not the 300 one while hoping that the current low auto loan interest rates last for another year or so :frown: On to weaving a story to convince the wife :tongue:

Hmm.... having second thoughts about this. Given all the input I've seen about the 160 miles really being the very-ideal range (with new batteries, no lead-foot driving, no "showing-off" acceleration, warm enough weather, no hilly terrain etc. etc.), I wonder if those 100-mile weekend trips will be possible in just 2-3 years after I get the car (if the range drops to 80 miles at that point with all those factors in there).

It doesn't make sense if I cannot take this people-and-stuff mover for say, Newark, CA -> Santa Cruz, CA and back without having to recharge in Santa Cruz. In general, I'm quite wary of leaving the charging cable out there for vandals to target (just because they can) even if I can find a charging station to begin with - I can't babysit it through the charging period, of course.

Gosh, got to push my budget to get the 230-miler if not the 300 one while hoping that the current low auto loan interest rates last for another year or so :frown: On to weaving a story to convince the wife :tongue:

A 230 mile pack should be more than enough for the occasional 100 mile trip, even after a few years. Just an estimate, but charing in standard mode and driving at normal highway speeds with air conditioning...etc, you should have around 150 miles of range (at least with the Roadster as a guide). Of course if you charge in range mode for your trip, you'll get more.

How can you decide on pack size when you don't know how it will affect performance. If the 160 is like a V6, the 230 like a V8, and the 300 like a V12, you've got to go with the 300. If performance is not affected by the pack size then a smaller range may suffice. I know I was thinking small since my commute is 65 miles round trip and that's the longest trip I would take except on a very rare occasion when I'd use the wife's ICE. Now I may rethink it and go bigger if that means extra oomph.

How can you decide on pack size when you don't know how it will affect performance. If the 160 is like a V6, the 230 like a V8, and the 300 like a V12, you've got to go with the 300. If performance is not affected by the pack size then a smaller range may suffice. I know I was thinking small since my commute is 65 miles round trip and that's the longest trip I would take except on a very rare occasion when I'd use the wife's ICE. Now I may rethink it and go bigger if that means extra oomph.
Exactly....