Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for California Drivers - Did You Install Your Front License Plate?

Did you install your front California license plates?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got license plates for my MY.

Last six weeks I’ve noticed many Tesla’s on California freeways don’t have front license plates, maybe half. Pretty sure it’s only a fix it ticket, if stopped.

What say you?

IMG_0834.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: fholbert and ChrisJ
More than I thought don't have a front license plate.

Do you ever get stopped?
Never got stopped when I didn't have one initially, but I park on the street regularly and I eventually got a fix-it ticket by the local meter maids and since then have my plate on now. Many people here in the Bay Area also don't have front plates. SoCal may be different though.

Never got stopped when I didn't have one initially, but I park on the street regularly and I eventually got a fix-it ticket by the local meter maids and since then have my plate on now. Many people here in the Bay Area also don't have front plates. SoCal may be different though.
Same for me. The only time I have every gotten a ticket for no front license plate was in Berkeley 12+ years ago and while the car was parked. I think the ticket ran $20. I will gladly pay less that $1/year to not have a front license plate.

I don't think cops care all that much about no front plates anymore, but of course it mostly depends on where you frequently drive. Also I feel like it helps that there are many Teslas out there nowadays and all of them come without a front plate from the factory.
For many municipalities, it's a revenue source. And some of them have dedicated parking enforcement staff.

I'll wait for the fix-it ticket before putting on the front plate (MY is only one month old so no plates yet but that's my plan when I do get the plates). Curious which fix-it ticket will come first -- no front plate or to remove front windows tint. Or maybe both at the same time is most likely, if pulled over...