Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for California Drivers - Did You Install Your Front License Plate?

Did you install your front California license plates?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, at least not if you pick up at the Fremont factory. They throw the front license plate bracket and baggie of screws in the frunk. Installation is a "left as an exercise for the owner". Just like the odd number problems in Calculus class.
Same thing at their Colma delivery center. I think they do this because it saves labor, plus there are many people who don't want a front plate installed.

Nope, at least not if you pick up at the Fremont factory. They throw the front license plate bracket and baggie of screws in the frunk. Installation is a "left as an exercise for the owner".

Interesting. I wonder why the discrepancy in treatment across delivery centers. I could understand if CA didn't require the front plate, but since they do I would expect the same adhesive mount that I got at Mt. Kisco, NY.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah it is required by law. I don't believe what jboy wrote.
My 2018 MX and 2022 MY were both delivered at the Fremont factory with their license plate frames tossed into the frunks.

In 2018 I had a Service Center install the screw-mounted frame on the MX for free during a visit for warranty issues. They did their usual sloppy job, and it's been mounted slightly crooked ever since. In 2022 I ignored the supplied adhesive-mounted frame and installed a metal grill-mounted frame I found on Amazon for the MY.

I later found that car wash brushes were pulling on the top corners of the MY's license plate, so I secured those corners with black painters tape and it has looked great every since. Many of you probably don't use automated car washes anyway.

My 2018 MX and 2022 MY were both delivered at the Fremont factory with their license plate frames tossed into the frunks.

In 2018 I had a Service Center install the screw-mounted frame on the MX for free during a visit for warranty issues. They did their usual sloppy job, and it's been mounted slightly crooked ever since. In 2022 I ignored the supplied adhesive-mounted frame and installed a metal grill-mounted frame I found on Amazon for the MY.

I later found that car wash brushes were pulling on the top corners of the MY's license plate, so I secured those corners with black painters tape and it has looked great every since. Many of you probably don't use automated car washes anyway.

You are very brave, washing your Tesla.

You are very brave, washing your Tesla.

Heh. Yeah that's the lesson there: never wash your Tesla, lol.

Seriously though, I can't believe they charged him for re-mounting the frame. Typical Tesla SC, making it up as they go. I suspect he didn't manage to get all the NY soot off his bumper before mounting, but regardless Tesla should not leave this to consumers in states where a front plate is required.

Car washes are fine in general. I take both of my Teslas thru an automated wash with brushes, along with hundreds of other Teslas owners, at the same place every week. But that's for another thread, with yet another survey.

Last edited:
Heh. Yeah that's the lesson there: never wash your Tesla, lol.

Seriously though, I can't believe they charged him for re-mounting the frame. Typical Tesla SC, making it up as they go. I suspect he didn't manage to get all the NY soot off his bumper before mounting, but regardless Tesla should not leave this to consumers in states where a front plate is required.

Car washes are fine in general. I take both of my Teslas thru an automated wash with brushes, along with hundreds of other Teslas owners, at the same place every week. But that's for another thread, with yet another survey.
I clicked the "I do that sh*t myself, nobody touches my car!" to cast my vote.

• Funny
Reactions: EV_Dad
in california a cop isnt really allowed to pull you over for the sole purpose of not having a front license plate, same goes to window tints. there must be another reason. it could be another bullsh*t reason such as a dim taillight, and then they can tack on other stuff onto the ticket such as missing a front plate.
Can you cite a source for this? I've been pulled over for just tint and just front plates several times before. I've also read much of the CA vehicle code book many times and never saw anything like this not have I heard if any statute or case laws that supports this.

Yeah it is required by law. I don't believe what jboy wrote.
The manufacturer is required to provide the mount, however the California law doesn't say explicitly that the plate must be mounted on delivery.

From personal experience, my Tesla delivered in end of 2020 at the Colma delivery center in California came with the adhesive plate bracket and screws in the trunk, it was not mounted.

Being selfish, I do wish more installed their front license plate. We just installed in our neighborhood cameras from this system: Falcon®. It records each car coming and going. And, if the car's license plate is visible, it reads the plate number, logs it, and sees if the vehicle or plate was reported as stolen. If it is they send a message to the local police.

We have also had a few break-ins, so the info can be used to see which cars entered and exited the neighborhood then.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Interesting. I wonder why the discrepancy in treatment across delivery centers. I could understand if CA didn't require the front plate, but since they do I would expect the same adhesive mount that I got at Mt. Kisco, NY.
We have the adhesive mounts also in CA, but they just don't put them on. At least they did not at the Fremont Deliver Center and the Dublin SC. See photos of my 2020 X LR and wife's 2023 3 LR.
3-front-license-plate.jpg
x-front-license-plate.jpg

I didnt run front plates for the 18 years I drove BMWs, and I didnt run a front plate on my Model 3 the first 2 years I had it. I decided that I didnt like the look of the model 3 without the front plate. I dont love the front of the car anyway, but without a front plate it looks even more cartoonish.

So, I got a Quick bandit.

TL ; DR - I have a front plate now, after being a habitual "no front plate" driver in SoCal for multiple decades. I did it because of the vehicle looks, not because of the law.

My Tesla was delivered with the front plate in the trunk, just like Every single BMW I leased here in CA the past 20+ years. So many people dont want them on, and the law doesnt say the dealer has to mount it, just that they have to provide it.