Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

Are you mad that your new Tesla just missed Autopilot 2.0?

• Extremely Pissed!! I want refund or compensation!

Votes: 63 14.7%
  • Mad!! In shock! I will be in daze for days...

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Slightly mad, but understandable since technology always improve

Votes: 90 20.9%
  • Not sure/ neutral

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • It is alright. Thank god I leased my Tesla instead of owning!

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • Not mad. Know that it is coming given the rumors about Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • Not mad at all. It is good that Tesla keep improving Autopilot hardware

Votes: 129 30.0%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 25 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll be able to "ugprade after delivery" via Tesla shop at least for vehicles as of today according to the design studio which basically confirms some level of retrofit being an option.

Curious how far back they will be retrofittable. My bet is for all facelifts to have a retrofit option. Hopefully it's slightly discounted considering the cost of the already purchased AP 1.0.

Yes, tha
I don't think people should be mad. The improvement of enhanced AP will be just incremental over AP 1. The supposed self driving will be years down the line. Many cars have equivalent hardware today but what's hard is software. Also regulations are not there either. Both of these will take years to achieve. AP 1 was 2500 and enhanced AP is 5000 and from descriptions it appears the tangible improvements will likely be auto merging into another highway. This takes like 1 min to do manually while the auto driving on highway takes the other 99.9% of time. It's pretty incremental. I am not even sure it's worth and extra 2500 to be honest.

Yes, that's true.. but that is not the point. The value of our cars just dropped significantly. Your possibility to trade in our sell just got a whole lot worse.

Reactions: Wanderer
I guess I was hoping that there was secret hardware hidden in the newly refreshed car. I hope there is a way to upgrade some of the hardware in the future. I hate buying and selling cars.

“Upgrading Hardware 1 cars just isn’t practical. It would be like doing a spinal cord transplant.” It’ll be sometime in the middle of next year that Hardware 2 cars will start overtaking Hardware 1. Meanwhile, even though the physical hardware will be included as standard, the functionality will be a paid upgrade.

For the full self-driving hardware suite, it’ll cost $8,000 Musk says. That’s compared to $3,000 for the current Autopilot system."

It's not like this was a surprise to anyone, we all knew it was coming at some point.
No point getting pissed about it or demanding compensation.
All companies in all industries do this the world over - standard operating procedure.
Expecting it to be anything else only happens in Disney movies with princesses and ice - usually

Let it go!
Let it go!
:rolleyes:

You'll be able to "ugprade after delivery" via Tesla shop at least for vehicles as of today according to the design studio which basically confirms some level of retrofit being an option.

Curious how far back they will be retrofittable. My bet is for all facelifts to have a retrofit option. Hopefully it's slightly discounted considering the cost of the already purchased AP 1.0.
I seriously doubt you are right. All new cars are "upgradable" to use cameras that will be already there or wired for all those cameras.

Yes, tha

Yes, that's true.. but that is not the point. The value of our cars just dropped significantly. Your possibility to trade in our sell just got a whole lot worse.

It probably has dropped if you were trying to sell tomorrow... Due to marketing basically. However the fact is AP 2.0 wont' be that much different from AP 1 given the descriptions. The improvements are incremental. Full auto driving is not coming for a while, by which time the car will have significantly depreciated anyways.

Given incremental improvements, I don't see it really having such a huge impact on resale. I think current talks are theoretical, we will have to see how the two systems actually differ say in 6 months before an accurate conclusion can be made. Current descriptions don't appear to indicate a significant improvement in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Chaz and David99
I seriously doubt you are right. All new cars are "upgradable" to use cameras that will be already there or wired for all those cameras.

You think from the last week of September to the second week of October they completely changed the body of the Model S and X to support the wiring structure, camera mounts, etc for AP 2.0 hardware? They've had this planned for a long time, the facelift can't possibly be hugely different than it was 3 weeks ago.

I still have paper plates on my P90DL, but I bought it to drive it. Autopilot is neat, but I barely use my 1.0 AP and I'm not sure I'd use the newer system either.

Only downer for me is the clear loss of resale value for the pre AP2.0 cars. At least with model year changes you can predict months ahead of time if you're about to get bitten by a model refresh. With Tesla there's much less warning.

I don't feel too bad. I have a Model 3 on reservation and took delivery of my Model S 60D about a month ago.

To be honest "Enhanced Autopilot" doesn't sound a whole ton better than what I have right now. For $2500 more than I paid for Autopilot 1.0, I am not sure I would pay for the improvements.

You think from the last week of September to the second week of October they completely changed the body of the Model S and X to support the wiring structure, camera mounts, etc for AP 2.0 hardware? They've had this planned for a long time, the facelift can't possibly be hugely different than it was 3 weeks ago.
Yes
They shut down the entire factory for a week oct 1-oct7. Seems like a perfect time to do just that

I don't care about any of the AP2 hardware or features. What I'm pissed about is the processor upgrade. This means that, very shortly, there will no longer be any firmware upgrades for cars with the old processor. Tesla will not dedicate the resources to make updates, and very shortly the development process will only be able to support the faster processor. Developers use all the processor capacity available to them to do the "cool" stuff, and it won't run on the old processor. Soon, things like voice recognition, nav, etc will only progress on cars with the new processor.

I don't care about any of the AP2 hardware or features. What I'm pissed about is the processor upgrade. This means that, very shortly, there will no longer be any firmware upgrades for cars with the old processor. Tesla will not dedicate the resources to make updates, and very shortly the development process will only be able to support the faster processor. Developers use all the processor capacity available to them to do the "cool" stuff, and it won't run on the old processor. Soon, things like voice recognition, nav, etc will only progress on cars with the new processor.

The 40x processor is just for AP, not for the CID. They haven't said anything about upgrading the CPU in the CID.

• Informative
Reactions: Apricot
I still have paper plates on my P90DL, but I bought it to drive it. Autopilot is neat, but I barely use my 1.0 AP and I'm not sure I'd use the newer system either.

Only downer for me is the clear loss of resale value for the pre AP2.0 cars. At least with model year changes you can predict months ahead of time if you're about to get bitten by a model refresh. With Tesla there's much less warning.

Still have paper plates on my P100DL! Agree with you, the car is so fun to drive I prefer to drive it and only use AP in boring situations (highway and bumper to bumper traffic) where AP 1.0 shines!

If you didn't see this coming with the absolute inventory liquidation that happened last quarter, well, you're stupid. And I mean that in the nicest way. The people who really got ****ed purchased in Q1 and Q2 without the $10k discounts that happened a few months later.

As for AP2.0 I have trouble believing they're as close to complete autonomy as advertised. AP1.0 needs babysitting outside of perfect conditions I just don't see a couple more cameras and a new processor eliminating the need for a driver. This will be an evolutionary step, not a revolutionary step.

I'm gonna copy paste my answer from the other thread.

I've ordered my P90DL on April, received it at end of June. 10 days later, had a small accident. It stayed 3 months in the approved body shop, mostly waiting for parts from Tesla because of Tesla's shitty communication and logistics. I got my car now, and they've done a shitty job, it is going back tomorrow again. I also had some issues spotted on delivery, and of course, they are also not fixed.
Now, ask me.
I'm really pissed. I've ordered my car about 7 months ago, only driven 300 miles. It is already outdated twice. Depreciation is huge.
I think I'm done with Tesla. They are just trying to keep stock value high by making people talk about them. By rolling changes every 3 months, they just make existing customers angry.