Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plugging in a car that doesn't belong to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. My P85, March 2014 allows it from the UMC handle button/Supercharger handle button/HPWC button. I've successfully used all three. I'm assuming you were using the UMC handle button, right? Sometimes it takes a few presses/holds to get it to pop.

No, I'm at work, no UMC here. I just pushed the side of the chargeport. When the car is unlocked, in the D-models, it'll auto-open the chargeport door. When the car is locked, it does nothing.

But like I said in post #15, I've done the exact same thing with the UMC at home (double clicking it), and when the car is locked, and I belive the UMC does not open the chargeport door.

Superchargers, I've only had my car unlocked, so double clicking it always works... I guess I can try locking the car next time, lol.

Last edited:
No, I'm at work, no UMC here. I just pushed the side of the chargeport. When the car is unlocked, in the D-models, it'll auto-open the chargeport door. When the car is locked, it does nothing.

But like I said in post #15, I've done the exact same thing with the UMC at home (double clicking it), and when the car is locked, the UMC does not open the chargeport door.

Superchargers, I've only had my car unlocked, so double clicking it always works... I guess I can try locking the car next time, lol.

It will not open when you press the door, but it will open when you press the UMC button. I could have sworn that it didn't use to do this, but I did it just a week or so ago. Technically, I did it with the HPWC button, but I assume they both send the same signal. Obviously, YMMV

It will not open when you press the door, but it will open when you press the UMC button. I could have sworn that it didn't use to do this, but I did it just a week or so ago. Technically, I did it with the HPWC button, but I assume they both send the same signal. Obviously, YMMV

Challenge accepted! (i.e. I need to remember to check at home).

I tried it when I just got the car, you're right maybe one of the recent updates changed the behavior. I could've also done some n00b mistake...

Being able to open the charge port via the HPWC/UMC/Supercharger button without unlocking the vehicle has long been a peculiarity of the car. Lolachampcar designed this little keyfob that could open your charge port door (long before you could use the trunk button on your key). It had some serious range, and I had to stop using it because it would open the charge ports of every Model S in our parking garage. I'd press the button and hear a bunch of charge ports pop open. :eek:

hahaha. Whoops!
I agree it's peculiar, but I look at it similarly to the way I look at requiring identification at the bank. For withdrawals, please require ID. For deposits? Please DO NOT. If someone wants to deposit cash in my account, I'm game.
Sure, you say that now, but wait until someone decides to deposit a peanut butter and jelly sandwich into that "account". :wink:

I appreciate everyone's take on this. I'll be leaving the car untouched. Hopefully the owner won't have too much trouble bringing it back to life when he returns. I will let him know about the 110 outlet available, as that might make it easier to recover, after (presumably) having Tesla deal with he dead 12v battery.

I appreciate everyone's take on this. I'll be leaving the car untouched. Hopefully the owner won't have too much trouble bringing it back to life when he returns. I will let him know about the 110 outlet available, as that might make it easier to recover, after (presumably) having Tesla deal with he dead 12v battery.

@mattmass, I just received my 85 back after about a month in transit. When left alone, vampire drain took roughly 2 miles of rated range per day. If the owner "topped off" before he left (and had all other energy saving features selected), that would give him about 130 days best-case-scenario (if he has an 85). Other than alerting Tesla with his VIN as others have suggested, there isn't much more you could reasonably do.

I think you'd just be doing the guy a disservice as the cells are best stored dead anyways (0 range).
And I am quite confident the pack would last for a year like that or longer without any over discharge.

I think you'd just be doing the guy a disservice as the cells are best stored dead anyways (0 range).
And I am quite confident the pack would last for a year like that or longer without any over discharge.

popcorn.gif

Hmm, once plugged in you will need the guy to come back and unlock his car to be able to get your UMC back.

Otherwise you could plug in the car, charge it, and then unplug it :)

Wonder if covering or taping the locking hole on the plug would allow you to both charge the car and unplug it while locked.

I thought you the OP said it was a J1772. You can unplug the J1772 from the adapter (which would remain locked in the car without the key). Also, you can double tap the roof of the fob which would open the charge port without the owners key being present (haven't tried it in an auto close charge door). He would, however, have to leave his J1772 adapter behind for you to do so.