Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Picketing outside Tesla HQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, we have similar banners/picketers all over Wichita, KS. They're a total joke really. They're from a labor union picketing a company that happened to have some work done by non-union contractors. It doesn't matter what the reason was the company (bank, church, whatever) picked another supplier, the only thing that matters was they didn't pick a union shop to do the work. In other words, "Move along, there's nothing to see here."

Construction picketing could be related to the Giga factory. Usually construction union pickets want a certain percentage or certain trades to be union subcontractors in order to not picket.

I went to the Tesla Factory to SC this past Wednesday (7-1) and it was set up there at the entrance, and definitely outside their property line, almost on the curb. I went to SC, but all of the stalls were in use, so I grabbed a cup a tea, and left. As I was leaving, the 'protesters' were disassembling the banner; a nicely built frame out of pvc piping. It sure looked like a portable unit. Nothing was mentioned inside the delivery center, and I didn't see any other mention of it.

Scotty

Does anyone know Elon's opinion on unions?

I suspect that publically he neither supports nor opposes, but privately does not want to get involved with them.

Having to deal with a union would be one extra headache for Tesla or any other company, so I wouldn't want to get involved with them either. That being said, I support the right of workers to organize into a collective bargaining unit, because the threat of this helps ensure (though obviously does not guarantee) that companies treat workers fairly. People I know who have toured the Fremont factory say that the employees there appear to be happy for the most part.

You Californians have all the fun :)

Don't forget NYC. There the union guys have a giant inflated rat along with the same sort of signage. I saw them last week in front of the Masonic Hall on 23rd st. Had to ask how Masons could be unfair to labor. Turn s out their target was an "evil" non-union contractor doing work in the building, but to passers-by it looked like the Masons were targeted for union rage.

It does look like some local unions thing. If there was an attempt underway to unionize the Tesla plant itself, they wouldn't picket over that, they would simply call for a NLRB-supervised vote.

Several unions (UAW, plus I think 2 others) tried to unionize Mercedes plant where I worked. They never could get enough employees to sign cards to get NLRB to authorize a vote. Many of the team members had worked in union settings before (steel, mining, etc.) and had a bad taste in their mouth for unions. I worked in a union GM plant for over 10 years - seemed like the union did everything they could to make life difficult for everyone at the plant - both management and labor alike. They had a vested interest in strife and conflict.

Most auto plants now treat their workers very well, with wages & benefits equivalent to union plants; so the unions no longer can claim they can provide all these things through collective bargaining. (Decades ago, manufacturing plants really were very hard on workers, so there was a good reason why unions started). I believe that the good treatment auto workers get today - in non-union plants - is due to the threat of a union coming in. Even though, like Elon, they say they are neutral, they know that a union makes a plant much less efficient due to the work rules. Anyone who has worked in a union plant can tell true stories for hours about the nonsense in these plants - it drives up costs dramatically and creates an unwarranted sense of entitlement for workers - to say nothing of the "us versus they" poisonous environment that can develop. I suppose there are unionized plants where management and labor work as a true team, but this requires both extraordinarily talented management and very enlightened union reps - which is often not the case.

So, I'm in favor of unions - as long as they are entrenched in my competitor's factories (and not in mine).

Growing up in Michigan I always had to deal with stuff like this.

I remember when a bankrupt Detroit Free press was making necessary cuts, and all the union members were calling all the subscribers to cancel their subscriptions. A good friend of mine ordered a second subscription. Two papers delivered to the same door everyday.

hmmmm, a second Model S???

I knew it!! The Grim Reaper is indeed British!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436238762.068106.jpg

After seeing that sign, I take back my previous statement, these guys might be union or dealership or anything, to me it actually looks more like "picketers for hire"

City Beat: Union points a ‘Grim’ finger at Sacramento’s Co-op | The Sacramento Bee

Carpenter Spartan Daily Spartan Daily

Labor Dispute | The Paper

View attachment 86457

Hahaha! I love how they basically just print a banner and tape it to the top.

I wonder if this company has a design studio.

1. Color Choice:
- Red
- Black
- Blue

2. All Caps Shouting Statement
- LABOR DISPUTE
- SHAME ON THEM
- BIG POO POO HEADS

3. Number of people standing next to sign
- surprise them

4. Bags of sand

5. Premium Grim Reaper Statue
- yes
- no

As a union organizer I'm embarrassed. For starters this sign is clearly designed with an interchangeable top piece so that the "complaint" is uniform but the target of the pickit can be changed out at a moments notice. you can tell this is clearly a labor union doing it because they are the only ones that would bother to make sure that a union shop printed this banner identified by the union bug in the lower right-hand corner. Attempting to organize Tesla is something I fully support, however if the workers decide not to organize and Tesla does nothing to actively interfere with the attempt to organize then they should be left alone.

There are many companies out there that routinely show why unions are important (i.e. Walmart) but from everything I can tell, Tesla is certainly not one of them.