Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service experience with 2 flat tires in Big Bear area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Stranded in the mountains for hours
  • 40 hours wait to receive any status of Tesla repair
  • Miscommunication and false promises for ETAs from Tesla roadside
  • No real person to talk to resolve urgent concerns
  • No empathy shown by Tesla to help stranded Tesla owner with family of seniors and child
  • Cannot accommodate any special request even when delay in service was cause by Tesla miscommunication

I was driving in Big Bear, CA when my Tesla Model3 went over a pothole and both tires got flat. I was surprised that such a minor impact would make the tires flat. I pulled over to a dirt shoulder 100m away. I had aged parents in my car so I called another friend who could take them to the cabin we were in. As I waited there after 15 mins or so there was another Tesla model3 which pulled over in that tiny shoulder with the same problem. So, it was not only me. Big Bear city was reckless enough not to fix or at least post signs of the road conditions.

Next step I reached out to Tesla roadside to help. They said they can tow the vehicle to a dealership nearby (up to 50 miles as I was in warranty period). This was happening in the late afternoon/early evening of April 8th, 2023, around 5.30PM. As I was stranded in Big Bear, 125 miles away from home in a mountain area I asked can this be fixed the same day or day after. Roadside said they would tow the car to Riverside Tesla service center and get it fixed the day after (April 9th) and assured they will be open on Sunday (See Tesla roadside text screenshot). That’s when I approved towing the car to Riverside knowing the fact that I will somehow manage to get there next morning and pick up the car and drive my family safely home.
Picture1.png

The towing arrived more than 3 hours after the incident. It was cold and dark and unsafe where the car was parked, and I was stranded there. No complaints about the tow company, the person was extremely nice. He towed the car to the Riverside Tesla service center, and it seems there was no protocol for him to drop off the car and he was not able to get anyone to help him from Tesla side (no surprise!). So, he parked it near the entrance to the service center and left. I messaged Tesla roadside to make sure it was remotely locked, and they obliged at least at this time and promptly closed the roadside assistance ticket.

We were at the Big Bear cabin that night waiting for the car service center to open next morning. In the Tesla App it said service center is open (8AM-5PM) and assured by the roadside assistance message from previous night.

Next morning, I started texting Tesla both on the roadside text chat as well as the service chat. No response was received. Called the service center number after going through a lot of interactive voice options the phone kept on ringing and went to voice mail. I dreaded the obvious, is the service center closed because of Easter Sunday? But I have been assured that its open and car will be fixed. I had no other way than to go to the service center 50 miles away to find the status of the car (are we in stone age?). So, I did, we had to pack luggage and passengers of 3 cars into 2 and took risk of driving down the mountain road (thanks to great friends who were willing to help) to reach the service center only to find that they were closed. The car was parked and sitting there for hours without even a courtesy call or message that it will not be fixed that day. Not having any way to communicate we left the car there and spent on Uber etc. to come home 100 miles away from the service center. I spent second night without my car and yet no update from Tesla. It just said, “waiting for estimate”!
Picture2.png

Next morning, I finally got an estimate and a $100 Uber credit. Tires need to be replaced and now they want me to come and pick up the car from 100miles away. On expressing concern regarding how far I must come to pick up the car, I was warned that if they are to keep the car overnight, they will charge me 24hrs storage fees! I asked can someone call me to discuss and even proposed a time an hour later for them to gather all options. No one called! There were some options in the chat that were posted another hour later. Two options were offered: “1. Replace the tire with us and pick up the vehicle 2. Tow it to your nearest dealership “. I replied immediately do I have to pay to get it near me, again no response for an hour. At this point I noted there are no timestamps to the messages in the Tesla app so no one can trace the wait times between each text. Finally, I tweeted hoping someone will hear me.

After another hour someone (Vaughn) called me from the Riverside service center to go over the situation. He asked me to go through my insurance to tow the car. I told them I don’t want to claim insurance for this. Other options I asked for and the answer I got:
  • Uber voucher provided covers up to $100 and it costs me more to get there. – No Tesla only gives $100
  • Can you send the car to local service center, and I can pick it up from there – No your insurance has to arrange and pay for the tow
  • I will pay can you tow it? – no we don’t have towing service.
He again told me pick it up in 24hrs or I will be charged.

Next, I went to Tesla Service center nearby (Agoura Hills) to see if they can help. After waiting another 20 mins they said no other options. I asked, can you please provide a courtesy vehicle. Answer was no, all service centers are run as separate entity and they have trackers etc. and cannot be shared across the centers.

Finally, I had to make a 4+ hrs. round trip to pick up my car from Riverside to put an end to the misery called “Tesla Service”.

I only had to wait more that 40hrs for a response and more than 2 days to fix my car. I was also told Tesla is not responsible for this as this was caused by external influence. Ok I agree the flat tire was not but what about all this trouble due to miscommunication from Tesla roadside and all the back and forth with my family including the elderly people, kids who I had to put at risk and lot of pain. What about being without my car for more than 48 hrs even when I am paying lease for the car. What about hours of looking at my phone to see if I got a message. And not to mention the 4 hrs I had to spend on the road to get my car back. Is this customer satisfaction that Tesla guarantees? Is there anyone even listening or am I to hear “Please resort to your Tesla app for any concerns”.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 968
  • Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Stranded in the mountains for hours
  • 40 hours wait to receive any status of Tesla repair
  • Miscommunication and false promises for ETAs from Tesla roadside
  • No real person to talk to resolve urgent concerns
  • No empathy shown by Tesla to help stranded Tesla owner with family of seniors and child
  • Cannot accommodate any special request even when delay in service was cause by Tesla miscommunication

I was driving in Big Bear, CA when my Tesla Model3 went over a pothole and both tires got flat. I was surprised that such a minor impact would make the tires flat. I pulled over to a dirt shoulder 100m away. I had aged parents in my car so I called another friend who could take them to the cabin we were in. As I waited there after 15 mins or so there was another Tesla model3 which pulled over in that tiny shoulder with the same problem. So, it was not only me. Big Bear city was reckless enough not to fix or at least post signs of the road conditions.

Next step I reached out to Tesla roadside to help. They said they can tow the vehicle to a dealership nearby (up to 50 miles as I was in warranty period). This was happening in the late afternoon/early evening of April 8th, 2023, around 5.30PM. As I was stranded in Big Bear, 125 miles away from home in a mountain area I asked can this be fixed the same day or day after. Roadside said they would tow the car to Riverside Tesla service center and get it fixed the day after (April 9th) and assured they will be open on Sunday (See Tesla roadside text screenshot). That’s when I approved towing the car to Riverside knowing the fact that I will somehow manage to get there next morning and pick up the car and drive my family safely home.
View attachment 932433
The towing arrived more than 3 hours after the incident. It was cold and dark and unsafe where the car was parked, and I was stranded there. No complaints about the tow company, the person was extremely nice. He towed the car to the Riverside Tesla service center, and it seems there was no protocol for him to drop off the car and he was not able to get anyone to help him from Tesla side (no surprise!). So, he parked it near the entrance to the service center and left. I messaged Tesla roadside to make sure it was remotely locked, and they obliged at least at this time and promptly closed the roadside assistance ticket.

We were at the Big Bear cabin that night waiting for the car service center to open next morning. In the Tesla App it said service center is open (8AM-5PM) and assured by the roadside assistance message from previous night.

Next morning, I started texting Tesla both on the roadside text chat as well as the service chat. No response was received. Called the service center number after going through a lot of interactive voice options the phone kept on ringing and went to voice mail. I dreaded the obvious, is the service center closed because of Easter Sunday? But I have been assured that its open and car will be fixed. I had no other way than to go to the service center 50 miles away to find the status of the car (are we in stone age?). So, I did, we had to pack luggage and passengers of 3 cars into 2 and took risk of driving down the mountain road (thanks to great friends who were willing to help) to reach the service center only to find that they were closed. The car was parked and sitting there for hours without even a courtesy call or message that it will not be fixed that day. Not having any way to communicate we left the car there and spent on Uber etc. to come home 100 miles away from the service center. I spent second night without my car and yet no update from Tesla. It just said, “waiting for estimate”!
View attachment 932434
Next morning, I finally got an estimate and a $100 Uber credit. Tires need to be replaced and now they want me to come and pick up the car from 100miles away. On expressing concern regarding how far I must come to pick up the car, I was warned that if they are to keep the car overnight, they will charge me 24hrs storage fees! I asked can someone call me to discuss and even proposed a time an hour later for them to gather all options. No one called! There were some options in the chat that were posted another hour later. Two options were offered: “1. Replace the tire with us and pick up the vehicle 2. Tow it to your nearest dealership “. I replied immediately do I have to pay to get it near me, again no response for an hour. At this point I noted there are no timestamps to the messages in the Tesla app so no one can trace the wait times between each text. Finally, I tweeted hoping someone will hear me.

After another hour someone (Vaughn) called me from the Riverside service center to go over the situation. He asked me to go through my insurance to tow the car. I told them I don’t want to claim insurance for this. Other options I asked for and the answer I got:
  • Uber voucher provided covers up to $100 and it costs me more to get there. – No Tesla only gives $100
  • Can you send the car to local service center, and I can pick it up from there – No your insurance has to arrange and pay for the tow
  • I will pay can you tow it? – no we don’t have towing service.
He again told me pick it up in 24hrs or I will be charged.

Next, I went to Tesla Service center nearby (Agoura Hills) to see if they can help. After waiting another 20 mins they said no other options. I asked, can you please provide a courtesy vehicle. Answer was no, all service centers are run as separate entity and they have trackers etc. and cannot be shared across the centers.

Finally, I had to make a 4+ hrs. round trip to pick up my car from Riverside to put an end to the misery called “Tesla Service”.

I only had to wait more that 40hrs for a response and more than 2 days to fix my car. I was also told Tesla is not responsible for this as this was caused by external influence. Ok I agree the flat tire was not but what about all this trouble due to miscommunication from Tesla roadside and all the back and forth with my family including the elderly people, kids who I had to put at risk and lot of pain. What about being without my car for more than 48 hrs even when I am paying lease for the car. What about hours of looking at my phone to see if I got a message. And not to mention the 4 hrs I had to spend on the road to get my car back. Is this customer satisfaction that Tesla guarantees? Is there anyone even listening or am I to hear “Please resort to your Tesla app for any concerns”.
Is this how you would have handled a flat-tire situation with any other vehicle manufacturer?

I had excellent service under warranty out of town on a Sunday evening... Tesla put on a full size spare, took my busted tire to a service center. I approved the new tire, and then drove the next afternoon, and they put my wheel and new tire on the car. Just to provide another experience - but yes, Tesla service is a nightmare in communications.
Now out of warranty, I depend on AAA ... wouldn't depend on Tesla and even under warranty I had AAA bc with the stories out there, you need a plan B

Reactions: Sixth and fredjan
Shortened: he got two flat tires, Tesla was not open on Easter Sunday, he went home 100 miles away, Tesla opened and fixed his tires, Tesla refused to drive his car 100 miles to him.

Flat tires are always problematic and ruin time off. I think your experience is typical for any car. I have a spare tire that I put in the trunk only for longer trips but since you had two flats it would not have helped. Do you have the 20in wheels? If so consider getting 18 or 19in. I would also request to be towed to the nearest tire shop next time. There is no need to go to Tesla for a flat tire.

Shortened: he got two flat tires, Tesla was not open on Easter Sunday, he went home 100 miles away, Tesla opened and fixed his tires, Tesla refused to drive his car 100 miles to him.

Flat tires are always problematic and ruin time off. I think your experience is typical for any car. I have a spare tire that I put in the trunk only for longer trips but since you had two flats it would not have helped. Do you have the 20in wheels? If so consider getting 18 or 19in. I would also request to be towed to the nearest tire shop next time. There is no need to go to Tesla for a flat tire.
The OP made me review what is/is not covered by Tesla Roadside Assistance.

Flat Tires:

Tesla will provide Roadside Assistance to owners who experience a flat tire within 50 miles (80 km) of a Tesla
Service Center. If a tow is necessary, Tesla covers the transportation costs for the first 50 miles (80 km) provided the vehicle is towed to a Tesla Service Center and you complete the tire repair and/or replacement through Tesla directly.

In all other situations, including if Tesla cannot complete the tire repair and/or replacement because you have aftermarket wheels and/or tires, Tesla may still be able to assist you with towing the vehicle at your full cost, due at time of tow. In all cases, you are responsible for the cost of the tire repair and/or replacement. In the event of a tow, see “Towing” above for instructions.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED?

Tesla Roadside Assistance is intended to minimize inconvenience if your vehicle becomes inoperable, however, Roadside Assistance services may not be available in all situations or if available, may be subject to fees/charges (with advance notice). Below are some examples of what is not covered, subject to change:

• Transportation costs from the Tesla Service Center following completion of service or repairs (i.e. Tesla is not responsible for costs associated with returning your vehicle to your home).
• Tire repair or replacement where tire repair and/or replacement is not completed through Tesla directly or if Tesla cannot complete the tire repair and/or replacement because you have aftermarket wheels and/or tires.

Also, check out the disclaimer in the last paragraph of the policy.
Now, I know....

Attachments

• roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf
    163.1 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

There are plenty of tire stores near Big Bear.

I had a flat tire during Christmas. The earliest appointment I had with Tesla Service was 3 days later. I brought the car to Discount Tires the next day and canceled the appointment with Tesla Service. Tesla Service charged more than $500 to replace the tire. Discount Tires charged around $360.

Also I wonder why Tesla Service could not provide loaner tires.

Last edited:
I suspect that someone could make a lot of money providing an enhanced tire roadside assistance service for Tesla Owners staffed by humans who can speak to you on the phone 24/7, maintain stocks or agreements to fix/replace standard tires immediately, and provide a premium experience and fast service. As someone who doesn’t want to lug a spare and a jack around, I’d happily pay for the peace of mind.

I suspect that someone could make a lot of money providing an enhanced tire roadside assistance service for Tesla Owners staffed by humans who can speak to you on the phone 24/7, maintain stocks or agreements to fix/replace standard tires immediately, and provide a premium experience and fast service. As someone who doesn’t want to lug a spare and a jack around, I’d happily pay for the peace of mind.
Honestly, I doubt it. How much premium is someone going to pay for this and what area would they expect covered?

There are tire shops everywhere. There are tow trucks. There is uber. There are rental cars. Yes, it does suck if you get stuck. I was stranded in Vegas when myBMW M3 had a blowout on a low profile tire and no one had it in hand. Discount got one in the next day for me (not a holiday).

Reactions: gaswalla
As a suggestion whenever you go on a long trip , it is advisable to buy and carry a spare ( www.modernspare.com ).
If you depend on Tesla to provide a spare then you may be in for a very long wait. This often ruins the holiday or jeopardises the entire trip schedule. Most newer cars nowadays don't come with spare tyre.

I had excellent service under warranty out of town on a Sunday evening... Tesla put on a full size spare, took my busted tire to a service center. I approved the new tire, and then drove the next afternoon, and they put my wheel and new tire on the car. Just to provide another experience - but yes, Tesla service is a nightmare in communications.
Now out of warranty, I depend on AAA ... wouldn't depend on Tesla and even under warranty I had AAA bc with the stories out there, you need a plan B
Thats very lucky