Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to rollback 5.8s suspension behavior modification at high speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 5.6 and about a week later got 5.8, and honestly could not tell a difference in highway driving until I read about the lockout of lowering at highway speeds. I will say I was a little angry/upset that the change in suspension would occur before I downloaded the new software update. I have been downloading new updates as soon as they become available as I trusted Tesla to give me something better in each update, this is the first time I think I was wrong. The lowered stance at highway speeds increases stability and range and has improved aerodynamic efficiency, and many other cars with air suspension (Porsche Cayenne,Panamera, etc) do the same thing with no reason to roll back good technology because of mis-informed media/public hype over a false issue of fire hazard. We all know the statistics tell us the Tesla Model S is probably the SAFEST car on the road in relation to fire hazards and all other road hazards based on the currently available data. There was NO GOOD REASON to roll back the great technology we all had in our cars before 5.8 update. I will now wait awhile and read this forum more closely before I add any new updates, and I have lost some confidence in Tesla. The company should never allow gossip or bad information to sway what they already know in terms of the safety of their products. I have always known that if I hit a metal or other hard object at highway speeds in my car, there may be a problem, including a fire. I feel more safe knowing this fact, and driving in my MS than any other car I have ever owned.
In my opinion you hit the nail right on the head rbt3. I just got off the phone with Tesla. They called me based on my e-mail sent to [email protected] yesterday morning. The young (presumably) lady I spoke with was very hospitable, but I got the impression she didn't have a clue. She wanted me to know that "We at Tesla Motors have safety as our primary concern." But when I asked if this was a "safety" issue, she backed off right away and said, "Well, it is not my job to know for certain what the reasons were for making changes." When I told her I was not so much perturbed by the update as I was by how the update was underhandedly applied without the knowledge of the customers. Again, she commiserated very nicely and agreed that she understood why that might make me disappointed. She asked where I thought this issue ought to go from here. I informed her that I thought Tesla ought to maintain their emphasis on safety but that they needed to also elevate communications. We--those who have purchased--are the best sales force Tesla could ever have. If they continue treating us this poorly that sales force will turn against them and the bad press will multiply. I hope Tesla will continue to make changes but I hope those changes will be clearly communicated and applying them will be optional. Importantly, I told her that I should not have to wait until January for full functionality to be restored to my vehicle, but I will be patient if I must. However, I fully expect for full functionality to be restored.

Now wait, the NHTSA did not ask, or even suggest that Tesla raise the height or remove lowering at speed. In fact, they specifically stated that this move by Tesla has no bearing on their investigation.

At the risk of repeating myself (can't remember where I may have posted this), I think the change has to do with the warranty coverage now being offered if the car catches fire. Elon very specifically states that the firmware update to raise the ride height has nothing to do with safety, it's just to lower the probability of an undercarriage impact. Since they're now offering warranty coverage for such impacts, this move is likely just to minimize their risk of having to pay out on such a claim.

In my opinion you hit the nail right on the head rbt3. I just got off the phone with Tesla. They called me based on my e-mail sent to [email protected] yesterday morning. The young (presumably) lady I spoke with was very hospitable, but I got the impression she didn't have a clue. She wanted me to know that "We at Tesla Motors have safety as our primary concern." But when I asked if this was a "safety" issue, she backed off right away and said, "Well, it is not my job to know for certain what the reasons were for making changes." When I told her I was not so much perturbed by the update as I was by how the update was underhandedly applied without the knowledge of the customers. Again, she commiserated very nicely and agreed that she understood why that might make me disappointed. She asked where I thought this issue ought to go from here. I informed her that I thought Tesla ought to maintain their emphasis on safety but that they needed to also elevate communications. We--those who have purchased--are the best sales force Tesla could ever have. If they continue treating us this poorly that sales force will turn against them and the bad press will multiply. I hope Tesla will continue to make changes but I hope those changes will be clearly communicated and applying them will be optional. Importantly, I told her that I should not have to wait until January for full functionality to be restored to my vehicle, but I will be patient if I must. However, I fully expect for full functionality to be restored.

What I don't understand, Chipper, is that she gave you the perfect opportunity to get a satisfactory result and you didn't take it. Clearly, her job was one of customer service, support, front line-try-and-put-the-fire-out-and-make-the-customer-happy. But she also had the power to let you through to someone higher up and you didn't take it. So, now here you sit still fuming over a decision made on your behalf that you don't agree with.

In your shoes, if I was as upset as you, when she said it wasn't her job to know for certain et al..., "I'd have asked her whose job is it?" Then..."I'd like to speak to that person." She gave you a second opportunity when she asked you where you thought the issue ought to go. I'd have said, "First, it needs to go to me speaking to your direct supervisor."

At the risk of repeating myself (can't remember where I may have posted this), I think the change has to do with the warranty coverage now being offered if the car catches fire. Elon very specifically states that the firmware update to raise the ride height has nothing to do with safety, it's just to lower the probability of an undercarriage impact. Since they're now offering warranty coverage for such impacts, this move is likely just to minimize their risk of having to pay out on such a claim.

I could very well see that could be true, and if so, then it would be nice if I could opt out of that warranty coverage.

What I don't understand, Chipper, is that she gave you the perfect opportunity to get a satisfactory result and you didn't take it. Clearly, her job was one of customer service, support, front line-try-and-put-the-fire-out-and-make-the-customer-happy. But she also had the power to let you through to someone higher up and you didn't take it. So, now here you sit still fuming over a decision made on your behalf that you don't agree with.

In your shoes, if I was as upset as you, when she said it wasn't her job to know for certain et al..., "I'd have asked her whose job is it?" Then..."I'd like to speak to that person." She gave you a second opportunity when she asked you where you thought the issue ought to go. I'd have said, "First, it needs to go to me speaking to your direct supervisor."
I don't desire to get into one of those contests with you again, Krugerrand, but please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I am not fuming. I am simply relating an experience. The only "satisfactory result" that I can see coming from this is her report to her superiors about the reactions she is getting concerning the "upgrade" (that wasn't!). She cannot restore the settings. She cannot explain why the settings were implemented--and please don't tell me it was due to NHSTA. She cannot go back and recreate the release notes. (Though I wish someone would do that. Even after the fact it would be good for someone at Tesla to tell its customers what they did and maybe take a minute to explain why.) Quite honestly, I thought for a second that perhaps I should escalate the issue to her supervisor, but realized instantly that he also did not have the power either. I accomplished what I set out to accomplish. I voiced my concern and I am now encouraging others who feel similarly to do the same.

Yes, there was...it's called the NHTSA. Also, before you get too upset, there's suppose to be another firmware update in the new year that will give you the option of varying your height as you deem necessary and that unequivocably would be an improvement. Deep breath.

There's "supposed to be" tethering the phone to the car. There's supposed to be hard drive storage of songs. There's supposed to be delivery of my car in late 2011. There's supposed to be a $12,000 battery warranty. There's supposed to be battery swapping. There's supposed to be a 300 mile car for $50,000 that does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. There's supposed to be a 40kWh car. There's supposed to be a fix for the energy graph switching back to instant instead of average. Should I go on?

I'm sure you'll say that there are "good reasons" why these things don't exist or are delayed past when promised, but there will likely be a "good reason" why the suspension change won't happen in January -- so I'm not counting on it (and I don't know why anyone else would).

I think you mean you can tether your car to your phone, right? The ability to tether devices inside the car to the cars connection (where the car acts as the hotspot) was promised long ago, then delayed, now seems to have been lost to time. As Aviators said, this is one example of many, which I could add many more, promises have not been fulfilled. There are reasons for every item, and that is the way that things go at times, but, it should help explain why Tesla has lost just about all trust in the "don't worry it will come" promises from the company. I truly wish this weren't true.

I have seen owners rally at the drop of a hat to spend large amounts of time and energy to defend Tesla, and the way in which this entire episode has played out is very disappointing. I believe if this type of attitude between Tesla and it's Owners continues, it starts to change the relationship between Tesla and it's customers. Perhaps this is inevitable with the size of company and sales that Tesla has become but I feel that if this were a year ago, I believe GB would step in right now, speak to owners as adults, explain Tesla's actions, and move forward. I hope for Tesla's sake that they have someone to fill the role, I worry they do not.

I can tether my phone to the car just fine...

Note that I've trimmed the quote on purpose. Hopefully I didn't remove critical context.
(1) There's "supposed to be" tethering the phone to the car. (2) There's supposed to be hard drive storage of songs. ... (3) There's supposed to be a $12,000 battery warranty. (4) There's supposed to be battery swapping. (5) There's supposed to be a 300 mile car for $50,000 that does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. (6) There's supposed to be a 40kWh car. (7) There's supposed to be a fix for the energy graph switching back to instant instead of average. (8) Should I go on?
1. Agree. When I purchased my vehicle that was advertised as part of the offering. Tesla has not delivered on this.
2. Agree. When I purchased my vehicle that was advertised as part of the offering. Tesla has not delivered on this.
3. Agree, but doesn't really matter to me because that's not what I tried to purchase.
4. Agree, but this was not advertised when I purchased my vehicle so it's a "post-purchase" offering.
5. Disagree. I think you're over-reading "We offer X. We offer Y. We offer Z." as "We offer X with Y with Z in the same instance of product." I agree that this is marketing playing language games, but it's definitely not a Tesla-specific problem.
6. Agree, but doesn't really matter to me because that's not what I ever wanted to purchase.
7. Unsure. Don't recall this ever being officially confirmed by someone with authority and standing at Tesla.
8. Yes but...

For 1, 2, and 8, have you passed along your concerns to [email protected]? If not, please do. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Just think, all this aggravation basically derived from two jokers being unable to avoid a stationary object in the road while traveling at a high rate of speed.
Disagree. (1) You're attacking the driver for environmental conditions. (2) What evidence do you have that the object(s) were stationary?

- - - Updated - - -

I can tether my phone to the car just fine...
No you can't. You can tether the car to the phone, but not the reverse.

Similarly, you can easily balance a thimble on a table but balancing a table on a thimble is usually trickier.

I am going to defend Tesla on the hotspot thing. Yes, that was advertised, but it was also noted that free internet access would only last 3 months and they have not enforced that on anyone--don't hear any complaints about that.

I would not expect to see car-as-a-hotspot made available until the communications packages are turned up. Since Tesla is footing the bill, I am pretty sure they would rather not pay for the additional bandwidth and unless they turn up 4G/HSPA or 4G/LTE at the same time they turn up the comm packages, I can't see sharing the current 3G link as being a particularly great user experience.

...Disagree...

Don't care if you do or not.

- - - Updated - - -

I see the "fuss" as a debate between the optimists and the other guys. We will not resolve those differences, both sides are speculating. So we should probably agree to disagree until January rolls around and proves one side right.

This is pretty much where this is now. We can go around in circles for all eternity and not everyone is going to agree.

I don't desire to get into one of those contests with you again, Krugerrand, but please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I am not fuming. I am simply relating an experience. The only "satisfactory result" that I can see coming from this is her report to her superiors about the reactions she is getting concerning the "upgrade" (that wasn't!). She cannot restore the settings. She cannot explain why the settings were implemented--and please don't tell me it was due to NHSTA. She cannot go back and recreate the release notes. (Though I wish someone would do that. Even after the fact it would be good for someone at Tesla to tell its customers what they did and maybe take a minute to explain why.) Quite honestly, I thought for a second that perhaps I should escalate the issue to her supervisor, but realized instantly that he also did not have the power either. I accomplished what I set out to accomplish. I voiced my concern and I am now encouraging others who feel similarly to do the same.

Okay, you're not fuming. :rolleyes:

You had the perfect opportunity to escalate your complaint higher up the chain and you didn't do it. This is curious to me. You've left it in someone else's hands (the same way that the firmware update you don't like was in someone else's hands) to complain on your behalf. That may or may not happen. My bet is that your complaint doesn't go past her ear and that there isn't some tally on a wall getting a checkmark added to it every time someone complains about this concern. Tesla already knows some customers aren't happy about the firmware, that's why you got the comforting phone call in the first place.

There's not one shred of evidence that her direct supervisor wouldn't have had some other answers for you, or that you couldn't have gotten even further up the chain - you didn't even try. From my own personal experience having to rectify mistakes that businesses make that upset their customers, the first person you talk to is never the person with the answers or the power to resolve your issue. No matter who you talked to, you weren't going to get what you truly wanted - which is a change back in the firmware before Tesla is ready to do it Januaryish. However, executives up the chain absolutely hate having to deal with unhappy customers and if they get bugged enough, they'll absolutely make sure changes are made company-wide - like pre-announcement of firmware update content.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you'll say that there are "good reasons" why these things don't exist or are delayed past when promised, but there will likely be a "good reason" why the suspension change won't happen in January -- so I'm not counting on it (and I don't know why anyone else would).

No, I will not say there are good reasons why those things do not exist. You know very well why many of those things don't exist and if you're upset about it, then there's not a thing I could say to you that you'd think is reasonable. You've made up your mind. You should probably sell the car, as it's not for you and neither is Tesla.