Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to rollback 5.8s suspension behavior modification at high speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you mean you can tether your car to your phone, right? The ability to tether devices inside the car to the cars connection (where the car acts as the hotspot) was promised long ago, then delayed, now seems to have been lost to time. As Aviators said, this is one example of many, which I could add many more, promises have not been fulfilled. There are reasons for every item, and that is the way that things go at times, but, it should help explain why Tesla has lost just about all trust in the "don't worry it will come" promises from the company. I truly wish this weren't true.

Sorry yeah that's what I meant. My phone is the hotspot , and I can tether the car to the phone. Tesla's never promised the reverse - not that I know of. If you've ever heard that from someone, they probably just said it in reverse like I did.

This is reaching back a little bit, but it was promised. It was promised with descriptions of everyone connecting their laptops, and tablets to the car during trips, and this was Elon speaking. As I said, there have been quite a number of other promises, many which were a bit pie in the sky, but I don't think it moves the conversation forward to detail each one, and then discuss why it hasn't happened.

Peter

Sorry yeah that's what I meant. My phone is the hotspot , and I can tether the car to the phone. Tesla's never promised the reverse - not that I know of. If you've ever heard that from someone, they probably just said it in reverse like I did.

This is reaching back a little bit, but it was promised. It was promised with descriptions of everyone connecting their laptops, and tablets to the car during trips, and this was Elon speaking. As I said, there have been quite a number of other promises, many which were a bit pie in the sky, but I don't think it moves the conversation forward to detail each one, and then discuss why it hasn't happened.

Peter

You know the one thing I expected the car to have, given its nature of battery's and chargers and inverters etc, was just a normal AC plug somewhere to plug my laptop into. I was shocked when I couldn't find one... Seems silly to me that there isn't one built-in.

You are correct that your car is a higher now. 5/16" higher to be exact. Also you are correct about Low as been disabled on the freeway.
So that means people with coil springs have lower ground clearance. Not sure if I'm happy or sad about that. I like that it will be less likely to scrape, as the old height barely cleared those cement parking lot barriers, but I do think it looked a little cooler when it was lower. Are we getting that 5/16 back in January as well?

Don't care if you do or not.
Well that was unnecessarily rude. You have a nice day as well.

- - - Updated - - -

It was on the website on the features page IIRC. I quoted it from the web2 version of the site a few weeks ago. It was one of the things sold me on the car -- and deterred me from buying a 3rd party hotspot.

Are we getting that 5/16 back in January as well?

I think the only thing that was communicated was that lowering at speed would come back in a future update, but nobody has said precisely whether this means to the new 5.8 low height (which is 5/16" higher than 5.6) or the original low 5.6 height.

The forum wiki says 5.8 ride heights are 5/16" higher in all modes now.

I kind of feel like I'm driving a boat on the freeway now :( didn't think it would make that much if a difference, but it does.

Me too. No question. I know many disagree, but my car doesn't handle nearly as well. I don't want/need to rollback but I would like all 3 of the major driving items back in the future update as a UI personal selection. Suspension, Regen, and Accel Curve.

Me too. No question. I know many disagree, but my car doesn't handle nearly as well. I don't want/need to rollback but I would like all 3 of the major driving items back in the future update as a UI personal selection. Suspension, Regen, and Accel Curve.

100% with you on this. I have a loaner with v5.6 (!) while some work is done on my Roadster and my Model S has v5.8 so I've been able to make direct comparisons. Handling is very different.

So that means people with coil springs have lower ground clearance. Not sure if I'm happy or sad about that. I like that it will be less likely to scrape, as the old height barely cleared those cement parking lot barriers, but I do think it looked a little cooler when it was lower. Are we getting that 5/16 back in January as well?

I was under the impression that pre-v5.8 coil springs sat about 3/4" higher than air @ standard. So with the increase of 5/16" on v5.8 cars with air suspension still sit lower than those with coil springs. I think these numbers are embedded somewhere in this or one of the other heated air suspension threads.

100% with you on this. I have a loaner with v5.6 (!) while some work is done on my Roadster and my Model S has v5.8 so I've been able to make direct comparisons. Handling is very different.

Well that is interesting to hear a fairly direct comparison. Maybe you could collect some data to give some more direct comparisons. Drive a straight stretch at same speed and let off pedal and see peak regen values. Same thing with off the line (pedal to the floor) acceleration. In a perfect world you would put a video camera on the dash and then frame align the results side by side. That would give us a more quantitative comparison to the changes. I respect the assessments of current owners but so far we've mostly had qualitative results.

I do find it interesting if loaners are on 5.6. That suggests that it may be OK to stay on 5.6. Though I suppose that loaner cars don't have to be concerned about warranty or long-term vehicle health issues.

Well that was unnecessarily rude. You have a nice day as well.

I'll just chime in and agree that it was rude. I'm only chiming in because your initial response was not to him but was to me, and I have no problem with you disagreeing!

Yes, I have contacted ownership for the various things. I agree with you about the "marketing-speak", but somewhere I have a postcard that would really be hard to read any other way than "300 miles, $50k, 0-60 in 5.6". Obviously, by the time I finalized I knew what I was paying! But of course my point has nothing to do with what I wanted to buy and what I expected for my money. It has to do with how much trust to put in a statement that this "will be fixed in January".

No, I will not say there are good reasons why those things do not exist. You know very well why many of those things don't exist and if you're upset about it, then there's not a thing I could say to you that you'd think is reasonable. You've made up your mind. You should probably sell the car, as it's not for you and neither is Tesla.

As I stated upthread, I love the car. Why would I sell it? I may ask for the money back I spent on the air suspension at some point, though.

Sorry, I stand with Tesla on this one. I believe they're making the right decision. The future of the company and the public's perception of EV safety is far more important than any of us having our car suspensions drop 1" on the highway for the next 2 months. IMHO, Tesla owners concerned about temporarily losing the low suspension height at highway speeds are overreacting just as much as the media's reaction to the fires.

For the record, I drive on the highway every day during my commute, and don't notice a significant loss in efficiency. This is temporary folks. Suck it up for two months, for the good of something more important.

Another thing that bugs the crap out of me: can we stop complaining for a second about one thing that Tesla takes away temporarily for the overall good, and say thanks that we drive a car that gets better the longer we own it?

+1. Although there have been quite a few common sense posts, this one sums it up best. If the company goes down, you'll have more to worry about than a fraction of an inch. Of course you could also wind up 30 years from now with a rare collectible. :/

I was under the impression that pre-v5.8 coil springs sat about 3/4" higher than air @ standard. So with the increase of 5/16" on v5.8 cars with air suspension still sit lower than those with coil springs. I think these numbers are embedded somewhere in this or one of the other heated air suspension threads.

Really? I did not know that. I have to say the new slightly higher height on my gas shocks is growing on me from an aesthetics standpoint. It looks a little more old school sporty to me now.

I'll just chime in and agree that it was rude. I'm only chiming in because your initial response was not to him but was to me, and I have no problem with you disagreeing!

Yes, I have contacted ownership for the various things. I agree with you about the "marketing-speak", but somewhere I have a postcard that would really be hard to read any other way than "300 miles, $50k, 0-60 in 5.6". Obviously, by the time I finalized I knew what I was paying! But of course my point has nothing to do with what I wanted to buy and what I expected for my money. It has to do with how much trust to put in a statement that this "will be fixed in January".

As I stated upthread, I love the car. Why would I sell it? I may ask for the money back I spent on the air suspension at some point, though.

If you go back and look his post was updated with a reply to me. My response may have come off rude and that was not my intention but it still stands, I don't care if he disagrees with me or not. He is free to do so, and I still stand by my point. That's the wonderful thing in life, we don't always have to agree and more times than not we won't.

Either way I look forward to the day when this forum becomes enjoyable again. It seems like it is just turned into one giant complaint department. Perhaps it was my frustration in the sour tone things have taken in the last few weeks that caused my curt reply.

Well, I found a way to get back regen and steering and a possible work around for the "no low at freeway speeds". I welcome anyone to try it and see if it works for them too. If so, we can all stop bitching. There's a backdoor. ;)

Well holy crap… It seems to have fixed it for me too. I toggled the settings for Regen and rebooted, then I toggled the settings for Steering and Creep and rebooted. My Regen and Sport Steering are back the way they were. Can't tell yet if my acceleration has returned to normal.

But get this guys… this is HUGE if it's true…

I *may* have found a work around for the "no low at freeway speeds setting". In a nutshell, I set my Shocks to "LOW" just before I pulled onto the Freeway and it STUCK! It stayed in Low the whole time I was on the freeway. It stayed in Low until I turned off the vehicle control screen. I can confirm that it showed the Shocks lowering on the screen and it stayed in low until I turned off the Controls Screen. So the work around "may" be to put it in Low just before you get on the freeway and leave the screen up until you get off the freeway. Unfortunately, I can't confirm if it was actually in Low mode because I was alone in the car. I'll bring my kid with me next time or hopefully one of you can confirm that it's working. If so, we can all stop bitching. There's a backdoor… ;) I just hope I didn't blow it by posting it here and they remove it… :D

- - - Updated - - -

Either way I look forward to the day when this forum becomes enjoyable again. It seems like it is just turned into one giant complaint department. Perhaps it was my frustration in the sour tone things have taken in the last few weeks that caused my curt reply.

You and me both. I'm about ready to pack my bags and leave. This place sucks now…

Wow. I cannot tell the difference at all, and just about all my driving is on the freeway. I have the 19" wheels. Could that make a difference? Is it owners with the 21's that are feeling it?

i believe it is the ones that tend to drive more agressively that need the lower center of gravity are the ones that are feeling the difference. But I could be wrong........

i believe it is the ones that tend to drive more agressively that need the lower center of gravity are the ones that are feeling the difference. But I could be wrong........

well I just speed up to 97mph at the beginning of my daily commute to get the low height to trigger. then I just cruise along >70-80mph ;) so I can't really comment on the handling different lol