Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano Roof cracked opened by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had my car since Monday, but on Tuesday night I got an update pushed. Since then it takes 2-3 times to vent or close the roof from the app. I opens and then immediately closes. Or vice versa. Haven't tried the car at 100MPH yet...just adding that maybe it's software related. I'm on the newest version of 4.5.

I have only had my car since Monday, but on Tuesday night I got an update pushed. Since then it takes 2-3 times to vent or close the roof from the app. I opens and then immediately closes. Or vice versa. Haven't tried the car at 100MPH yet...just adding that maybe it's software related. I'm on the newest version of 4.5.

Congrats on your new Tesla! :)

I've had that happen a few times - it seems to be when the internet connection (on your phone or the 3G on the car) is weak. How's the signal for you where that happened?

The signal isn't great. I'll see if the issue goes away with a new phone. Verizon gave me a refurb for a warranty replacement phone and it's garbage. They are sending another one.

And thanks! I love the car so much!
Congrats on your new Tesla! :)

I've had that happen a few times - it seems to be when the internet connection (on your phone or the 3G on the car) is weak. How's the signal for you where that happened?

opening by itself? No. But trying to close it at 85+mph doesn't "seal" completely (constant loud whistle, opening/closing again doesn't work, still not sealing and I get the constant air whistle). For me, if I'm going over 85mph and I try to close the pano, I need to open up my side windows for the pano to completely "seal". I guess it's a force/compression thing.

I finally got a response back from TM. They sent the information Fremont engineers and they came up with an action plan to correct this problem. I will take it to SD Service station next week. These guys have been great!

Turn up the sound a little on you speakers. Sorry for the expletive. That wasn't me.

Recently, in addition to pano roof opening up at 100+ MPH, i can hear noticeable increase in wind noise at 80+ MPH.
Hopefully they will correct it next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few weeks ago (on 4.5, .44 flavor), on two separate occasions a few days apart I opened the rear door and the pano roof cracked open. Interesting to see others having similar issues.

I updated to 4.5 (.54) a few days ago. Haven't seen the issue since but will keep an eye out for it.

I took my MS into SD Service Center today. The service manager said they raised the seal around the glass by 2mm and they bent some metal part near the front of the pano mechanism to get a better seal.
By golly I think that did the trick. Tonight I went to the exact same spot, got speed above the century mark but the roof did not open.
Yes!!

>>Complaint Narrative: Customer states over 100mph the sunroof will open slightly. Also has excessive wind noise at 85 mph.
Pay Type: Warranty

Correction: Panoramic Roof General Diagnosis

Performed panoramic roof service bulletin SB-13-24-004.
Correction: Seal - Opening - Panoramic Roof
Adjusted front latching tab on pano glass. Raised and tightened seal on glass, verified better fitment of glass after repair.