Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the P90D was clocking in 5-10 kW less than the charge curve for an 85 kWh.

@Pete - If you could just grab another data set of SpC from 30-45% that's all I would need to know if the taper was different. Oh, and preferably not just after the pack has been heated as that will for sure reduce charging rates.

It's going to be a few days. I'll need to have time to run the battery down, let it cool and then drive over to the SC without letting it sit low all day. How long is enough to let it cool?

It's going to be a few days. I'll need to have time to run the battery down, let it cool and then drive over to the SC without letting it sit low all day. How long is enough to let it cool?

If you've run a heating cycle, I'd give it a few hours. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether the car has just been driven 3 miles or 150 miles to reach the SpC.

If you've run a heating cycle, I'd give it a few hours. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to make much difference whether the car has just been driven 3 miles or 150 miles to reach the SpC.

The info I gave earlier was without using the max power option. It was just a bunch of driving beforehand, which is what I thought you were originally referencing.

Now that I have the API working next time I charge I'll do 1s pulls and have more accurate numbers over time.

Hi Pete,
If you do another supercharging test, it would be great if this time you could start closer to 0% and in the pictures include the clock on top right corner of touchscreen. Thanks.

The info I gave earlier was without using the max power option. It was just a bunch of driving beforehand, which is what I thought you were originally referencing.

Now that I have the API working next time I charge I'll do 1s pulls and have more accurate numbers over time.

Ah, ok. Then I'm really not sure how to explain it. If the numbers are reproducible with the second go around then I'm inclined to believe Tesla simply hasn't gotten around to optimizing the taper curve on the 90.

Hi Pete,
If you do another supercharging test, it would be great if this time you could start closer to 0% and in the pictures include the clock on top right corner of touchscreen. Thanks.

I'll drop it down further. This time I'm going to be recording 1s intervals from the API so I'll be able to just grab the time I get the data back. So this time it will be a lot easier to process.

39% = 112KW

59% = 74KW
60% = 72KW
61% = 70KW
62% = 68KW
63% = 66KW
64% = 65KW
65% = 64KW
67% = 60KW
68% = 59KW
70% = 58KW
71% =
56KW
72% = 55KW
73% = 54KW
74% = 53KW
77% = 48KW
83% = 40KW

In some cases, this looks considerably slower than the P85D. Were you charging after a Max temp Ludicrous cycle or do you see these charge rates after normal driving? Did you have the stack to yourself or was there someone else sharing?

Also, curious as to what would happen if you selected the max power mode while charging. Would it use the heater to heat the battery or would it just charge a lot faster which would also heat the battery?

36K miles and the charge is lower now.

59%=69KW vs 74KW
63%=60KW vs 66KW
77%=43KW vs 48KW
83%=37KW vs 40KW

So there's a big fat difference in teh middle of the SOC range with it narrowing on either side of the taper.

Is this due to battery aging and software deciding to take it easier on batteries that have been charge a certain amount or did they change the software to charge slower after the fact.

@sorka - It was widely reported that Tesla enhanced the supercharger rate to hold 100 kw well past 50%. Was your 90 kwh model unaffected by this firmware update? Happened last year.

Tesla Ups Supercharger Charging Rate For Refreshed Model S 90D & P90D - Video

I have a P85DL. That's interesting given that when the 90 was first released there was a little bit of an uproar over the charge rate being slower than the 85 despite being a larger battery.

I was above 100KW until around the 50% mark.