Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S worth less than the battery. Home energy solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking about transferring my free supercharging to a new MYP. I have a 2015 MS 85 with 170k miles and it’s running great however I’m looking at some maintenance coming up soon (brake pads and fluid, headlight going out, trunk latch acting up, one window regulator failing. And it’s just time for a change. Unfortunately looking at cars for sale in the area my S is probably worth around $12k private party and I would guess $7-8k trade in. Which makes me think I would love to have an 85kWh Powerwall instead of that much money.
What are the logistics of this and does anyone know of a company or person who could harvest the battery pack and create a home battery system for me in NorCal? Or does it even make sense?

Model S packs are popular in the DIY home storage space because they’re reasonably energy dense and break down into 25v modules that are generally safe(r) to handle.

Pretty involved for a DIY sort of thing but there are lots of tales out there to read:

• Helpful
Reactions: rsg123 and byeLT4
It sucks a bit for DIY that many low voltage battery hybrid inverters are designed for "48V" which in practice means 42V-60V input voltage for the inverter. I have such inverter here, Deye brand. It's connected to a 14S Li-Ion pack.

14S with 3.0V-4.2V cell voltage gives 42.0V - 58.8V which is perfect for the inverter.

But Tesla modules are only 6S. Two in series would be 12S. That's not really enough volts. Three modules in series would be too much.

I wonder if it's possible to split a module into two 3S modules, or perhaps into three 2S? 6+6+3=15S which would allow only 4.0V per cell at 60V, but that might actually be quite ok as it's not good for the battery to charge to 100% daily.

My current battery is only 15kWh. I'm really considering buying a MS 85 with FUSC just so I could transfer the FUSC and then take the battery...

Then again, the current FUSC deal is not (yet?) available in Europe, but who knows if and when it will come.

Reactions: rsg123
Googled a bit myself. I found the module layout online:

1708969169407.png

It should be possible to cut the connection at right, the rightmost arrow. That makes the module 3S+3S. It's not necessary to remove the cells from the module, just add terminals so both halves can be connected individually

I would love to have an 85kWh Powerwall instead of that much money.
What are the logistics of this and does anyone know of a company or person who could harvest the battery pack
and create a home battery system for me in NorCal? Or does it even make sense?

In case this could help you, I noticed this company called 'Sigineer Power' making specifically designed DC/AC inverters:

(You migh also look at 'Schneider Electric' which is a very well recognized solar systems company, they might be related, not really sure.)
Sigineer Power’s Tesla Battery Compatible Inverter works from DC to AC with Tesla Battery.
It has voltage settings tailored for Tesla Model S , Model 3 and Model X battery modules.
Our inverters don’t interface with the propietary Tesla battery pack BMS,
users have to jailbreak it or use a 3rd party BMS and set the battery voltage range to suit our inverter.
For these models, the battery type selector position of “9” is customized with a special battery algorithm
to work with Tesla Model S and Model X lithium-ion battery modules.
Model #: APC6024D​
This 6Kw Tesla battery inverter converts 24vdc from Tesla Model S modules to 120V 240vac split phase.​
It is built with a battery charger with a charging algorithm tailored to the Tesla Model S module,​
it also works with the lead acid, AGM, GEL batteries.​
Model #: HP15096D​
This 96Vdc 15000 watt off grid pure sine wave inverter charger is tailored with voltages settings​
for Tesla Model 3 battery module. It converts 96v to 120/240V 60Hz split phase.​
Regarding some company using Tesla batteries, from the Testimony webpage, you might find some companies working on Tesla batteries conversions:

• Informative
Reactions: hydro and rsg123
After some research I have found that it’s not generally recommended to have a setup like this inside your attached garage because of fire risk. Since I don’t have any other place to put it I will just sell the car. (Btw I was pretty close on the value—Tesla offered $7500 as a trade in which I declined)

After some research I have found that it’s not generally recommended to have a setup like this inside your attached garage because of fire risk. Since I don’t have any other place to put it I will just sell the car. (Btw I was pretty close on the value—Tesla offered $7500 as a trade in which I declined)

I read some in some postings that Powerwalls should be installed outside (this might be mandated in some locations).
So, would it be possible to put an electrical metal box outside of your home or your garage to install the batteries,
and maybe add a sheetrock on the wall behind the battery for getting even a better fire protection?