Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D question(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here.

Wanting to buy a used P85D, and I'd love to get some input here..

Imagine two cars were available, each with 1 year left on warranty--one via private sale and the other by a dealer. My understanding is that if I want continued coverage, I could ask the private seller to purchase it and I would reimburse the cost. Is it true that if buying from a dealer (other than Tesla, of course) I would not have that same option??

That question creates another....As I search for my new vehicle, is there a reason for preferring (or avoiding)
a dealer sale?

I've been through all the current listings in the ForSale sub-forum and realize I probably missed out on at least
a few prime candidates. Living at the end of a dirt road, however, I can't own another black vehicle (once was enough
and was a maintenance nightmare) or anything darker than red; white and silver ais fine, too. My preference is to buy from a member here, so in closing, if anyone is planning to sell his (non-dark) 2014/2015 P85D--or, if you know of
someone--please keep me in mind. Many thanks!

I could ask the private seller to purchase it and I would reimburse the cost. Is it true that if buying from a dealer (other than Tesla, of course) I would not have that same option??

Right, if buying from a dealer, you can't get the ESA. If buying privately, you can buy the ESA after you buy the car. There's no longer the need to have the seller do it prior to selling the car. Tesla changed the rules about this about two years ago, but this notion just won't die! See: Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

Also, kudos to you wanting to buy a P85D!

If you are a "performance" and handling kind of driver, please see this thread about getting a P85D with the rare Performance + suspension from the P85+: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

Those of us on TMC swear by this suspension only ever offered on the P85+ and P85Ds made in April 2015 or earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olds442
Right, if buying from a dealer, you can't get the ESA. If buying privately, you can buy the ESA after you buy the car. There's no longer the need to have the seller do it prior to selling the car. Tesla changed the rules about this about two years ago, but this notion just won't die! See: Vehicle Warranty | Model S and Model X

Also, kudos to you wanting to buy a P85D!

If you are a "performance" and handling kind of driver, please see this thread about getting a P85D with the rare Performance + suspension from the P85+: Performance Plus (+) Upgrade

Those of us on TMC swear by this suspension only ever offered on the P85+ and P85Ds made before April 2015 (inclusive of April).
Thanks for clarifying my mis-understanding of the ESA.

Private all the way... I bought a 2014 privately 18 months ago and bought the ESA so I ended up with 6 years of warranty which is better than a CPO... if you buy from a 3rd party dealer then you cannot get the ESA . Also private sale people are likely more negotiable

and the best reason for me... in Nevada there is ZERO sales tax on private sale vehicles!!!!

lastly as others have said the early P85D with the + suspension is the cream of the crop... although do love my regular old P85+