Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of juice - battery issue, UI issue, or user mistake?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It knows better what you're energy usage profile looks like, but it doesn't know any better what the energy remaining is.

The problem is the car shut down well before reaching a range of zero. Doesn't matter if you looked at a ranged range of 20 or a graph range of 10 if it's really zero and both are fed the same bogus data from the battery system.

Good point.

I agree that the car should not have shut down with a few RM left. But I also agree that the OP should have used the trip feature, and tried to get to the SpC with more than 2% if possible (several miles of range = 1-2%)

Good point.

I agree that the car should not have shut down with a few RM left. But I also agree that the OP should have used the trip feature, and tried to get to the SpC with more than 2% if possible (several miles of range = 1-2%)

Did you read the OPs post? They left with a very substantial buffer, particularly for the terrain being traveled.

I looked on the app to check on range and make sure they were OK on miles. At that time they were 115 road miles to Santee with 151 showing "in the tank."

He even used the trip planner:
Used Santee and Charlotte Superchargers and the latest software update trip planner both ways. Charlotte elevation 751. Santee Elevation 128. Basically flat the whole way home. No headwind. Clear weather. Unseasonably cool-ish temps. Running in Range Mode. Well-inflated tires. Three soccer kids. Two ladies.

Did you read the OPs post? They left with a very substantial buffer, particularly for the terrain being traveled.

I did read the OP, did you read his next comment? Out of juice - battery issue, UI issue, or user mistake? - Page 4

Evtripplanner left him ZERO buffer (yes, not the car trip planner, I understand that). And I asked him about 3 times if he used the trip tab to see what the car estimated he would use, he never responded. So my point stands, sucks it ran out at 1-2%, but he/his wife really should have used the trip tab and tried to get there with more than 2%, if that was possible.

Using the "trip planner" could mean he had the beta software turned on, and set to show which superchargers to use. Doesn't mean he'd make it to the superchargers with enough juice, that thing is so buggy.

He also said the speed got up to 80 at one point. That buffer could go away quickly at that speed. Without looking at all the data for entire drive we are all just guessing. If the car wasn't able to drive more than 40mph with 70miles or rated range there might be something wrong with the car.

I use the RR more as a percentage gauge (not sure why I don't just switch to percent), and use the trip estimates whenever I'm worried about actual range.

I actually did switch my dash to Percentage a while back, but mainly because I was starting to obsess over my declining Rated Range numbers as my car gets older and the battery degrades. I'm much happier with it this way. Now I know that it is just a linear gauge of how much "fuel" I have in the "tank" and I use the Trip Estimator when I want to know how far I can really go. I know it's a bit of a gas car paradigm, but it works for me.

Ideally, I'd like to see that Projected Miles number from the Trip Planner up on the main dashboard somehow.

So, you're saying the graph knows with a high degree of accuracy the range I have left. But the rated range on the speedometer doesn't? That'd be pretty mind numbingly silly given both systems rely on the same underlying battery readings to make their calculations.

And sort of beside the point. The car died with > 0 miles showing. That shouldn't happen. If that means Tesla tweaks their algorithms to be conservative in showing rated range, so be it.

If it says I've got 20 miles left and it's 5 miles to the SC, I should feel free to drive like a mad man with 4x the range I need. I shouldn't have to drive 40mph in the slow lane praying that this isn't the time the rated range is seriously wrong.
The Energy graph with the Nav system knows the distance to your destination and your speed, the terrain and actual energy use. It then calculates with a high degree of accuracy your energy use to your destination. The rated range on the speedometer knows none of this and only shows the percentage left (and like and ICE car fuel gauge, it may be off a bit near the empty mark). Don't rely on the rated range (especially if you are driving fast, uphill, using A/C or heater, etc.). Use the Nav system Energy graph. It works great.
Use the Nav system Energy graph. It works great.

The Energy graph with the Nav system knows the distance to your destination and your speed, the terrain and actual energy use. It then calculates with a high degree of accuracy your energy use to your destination. The rated range on the speedometer knows none of this and only shows the percentage left (and like and ICE car fuel gauge, it may be off a bit near the empty mark). Don't rely on the rated range (especially if you are driving fast, uphill, using A/C or heater, etc.). Use the Nav system Energy graph. It works great.

I'm not quite sure what message you're trying to deliver...

One of the worst things for battery range is cruise control. The car will modulate the throttle up and down to maintain the speed you tell it to. If you're going up a hill, it's going to go well above 40 on the power meter.

If you can pin your foot to the right side of the footwell, you're going to be able to keep the power to a minimum. This will slow you down on inclines and will allow you to speed up in declines. If you go above 70 or so on a decline, lift your foot until the power meter is "0" and not let it go into regen. Only let it go into regen if it's a steep decline and you would otherwise go above a comfortable speed.

Also, put the steering in Sport mode, as it uses less energy.

To the OP, it sounds like Ellen did more spirited driving than she realized. Pushing the car up to 80MPH when it's on "0 Miles" is asking for a tow truck.
Plan better, charge higher, and drive easier.

One of the worst things for battery range is cruise control. The car will modulate the throttle up and down to maintain the speed you tell it to. If you're going up a hill, it's going to go well above 40 on the power meter.

If you can pin your foot to the right side of the footwell, you're going to be able to keep the power to a minimum. This will slow you down on inclines and will allow you to speed up in declines. If you go above 70 or so on a decline, lift your foot until the power meter is "0" and not let it go into regen. Only let it go into regen if it's a steep decline and you would otherwise go above a comfortable speed.
That may work in Texas where everything is mostly flat but is literally a "no go" where I live in the mountains. Fixed power input will leave you going uphill at 10 MPH and downhill at 130 MPH. I have a downhill stretch from the top of Donner Pass (7000 ft) to the Sacramento valley ( 200 ft) which is mostly in regen for 60 miles and leaves me with more charge in the battery at the bottom of the hill. (Of course, going the other way I tend to use rather more of the battery charge)

The problem is the car shut down well before reaching a range of zero.

No, it’s not “well before”. It’s a very small amount. As Max pointed out, it’s down to the last 2% or less, and we don’t know what range of measurement accuracy there is at that small level. The only way to cover for that is to shift the whole thing, as someone else said, but that just leads to people measuring and then quoting exactly how much there is “below 0”, as happened before, and then people shoot themselves in the foot when they count on it and it turns out to be off by a few miles from this exact same measurement inaccuracy.

That may work in Texas where everything is mostly flat but is literally a "no go" where I live in the mountains. Fixed power input will leave you going uphill at 10 MPH and downhill at 130 MPH. I have a downhill stretch from the top of Donner Pass (7000 ft) to the Sacramento valley ( 200 ft) which is mostly in regen for 60 miles and leaves me with more charge in the battery at the bottom of the hill. (Of course, going the other way I tend to use rather more of the battery charge)

Just slowing up a bit on the uphills makes a big difference. You don't have to keep your foot steady. DFW->Granite Falls, WA and back averaged 253 Wh/mi with plenty of mountains. (lifetime 249, so not much difference)

-

Well...s*#*.

Been an owner since Dec 2012 and didn't have any range anxiety until now. I just lost a ton of faith in my car after reading this. I certainly am well acquainted with real world vs. rated and I plan accordingly, but I depend on the car telling me the range left!. I've gotten under 20 miles of range several times when usage and/or conditions ate significantly into that buffer.

If the range says 0, but there's some left, that's ok. It is absolutely NOT ok to die before reaching zero. Tesla should set that algorithm accordingly for the worst case!

Now I'm going to be seriously paranoid on every road trip, worried if this is the one time the range meter is going to be woefully inaccurate?

There are gas stations every few miles and I can pull over at nearly any time, consequently the gas gauge has the luxury of being inaccurate. That's not true for EVs and super chargers.

I completely agree, and that was my larger point upthread. The car should not shut down before it hits zero. This is a software issue that needs to be remedied. I've driven down to zero before, assuming that it was accurate to that point.

For the record, driving at 40 MPH doesn't necessarily mean better range. ... If you're going at 40 MPH you're actually spending more time, and thus other loads (HVAC, 17" screen, etc) are drawing more power per mile.

Um, sorry but this is very misleading. The extra drag on an MS doing 60mph compared with 40mph would equate to about 8kW (nearly double - Model S Efficiency and Range | Tesla Motors). The loads imposed by accessories would be about 2.5kW max, most of which would be due to the HVAC. Your theory would hold true between 0mph and ~25mph. If you turn off the HVAC then it would only hold true between 0 and ~5mph. MW

I completely agree, and that was my larger point upthread. The car should not shut down before it hits zero. This is a software issue that needs to be remedied. I've driven down to zero before, assuming that it was accurate to that point.

The only way to guarantee that no car driver hits zero is creating a buffer; in turn, people will read that there's a buffer and will assume a buffer exists, then we'll have a bunch of people coming here and complaining that they didn't get the "20 mile buffer that everyone seems to have". I'm willing to bet the number of cars that shut down before zero is a statistically insignificant number, and that Tesla uses that data to adjust accordingly.

I agree with FlasherZ. Tesla did the right thing by not displaying a "reserve" or "buffer" value because it would only get misunderstood and/or abused, and likely would result in a far greater number of owners being stranded than currently. My estimate is that only a tiny percentage of all Model S owners have actually run out of energy and had to stop before reaching their next charging point. Of course those are the owners that a far more likely to post online about their "problem" than the vast majority who have never run out of battery.
The only way to guarantee that no car driver hits zero is creating a buffer; in turn, people will read that there's a buffer and will assume a buffer exists, then we'll have a bunch of people coming here and complaining that they didn't get the "20 mile buffer that everyone seems to have". I'm willing to bet the number of cars that shut down before zero is a statistically insignificant number, and that Tesla uses that data to adjust accordingly.

Gas cars on basically empty give you no indication how much farther you can go. Ideally 2 miles of rated range should get you that far but in cold or up a hill maybe not. Don't count on any buffer.

This seems simply someone who was driving a little too fast for the situation. I've done it before and the range can disappear quickly.

So.. should I use the Nav system Energy graph??