Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered 2 Tesla Powerwalls today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed the order minutes ago for 2 Powerwall's. I currently already have solar and 2 Powerwall's but I am upgrading. Due to having electricty shutoff during fire season and a special needs child, we are increasing our reserve. Also this will help eliminate the LRA issue (hopefully) when A/C's and electric oven is turned on.

With that being said, what is the expected wait time from now till PTO?? I am expecting maybe a year give or take a month. I'm in SoCal. Many dealers here have the Powerwall's in stock but there prices are insane. Thx in advance.

Mark

LRA?

Bruce.

Pretty sure they are referring to "locked rotor amps" or are talking about the start up current needed to start AC systems when off grid.

OP we have no idea what that time frame is, as Tesla had stopped doing powerwall only installs for quite some time.

I also dont know what you mean by "ordered a couple of powerwalls" as in, did you order them as hardware (which is something tesla seems to allow now) and without installation, meaning you also have to find someone to install them (which is going to cost you more than you likely expect).... or did you order them with Tesla installation (meaning tesla has started doing powerwall only sales and installation)?

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
C
I just placed the order minutes ago for 2 Powerwall's. I currently already have solar and 2 Powerwall's but I am upgrading. Due to having electricty shutoff during fire season and a special needs child, we are increasing our reserve. Also this will help eliminate the LRA issue (hopefully) when A/C's and electric oven is turned on.

With that being said, what is the expected wait time from now till PTO?? I am expecting maybe a year give or take a month. I'm in SoCal. Many dealers here have the Powerwall's in stock but there prices are insane. Thx in advance.

Mark
Curious to see how your experience goes. I can't answer your question tho..... lots of things go into the installed price from a certified installer, but like you if there was a way to duck some of that I'd be interested in understanding. Sure would make it easier to add a couple PWs - I could use a couple more too, under the right circumstances. I don't have any operability issues, but more more battery capacity would be welcomed.

Personally I have not had this happen but have read about this. With having my special needs child I can not afford to have this happen so I'm investing in more. It is crazy to think we have to buy batteries in the 21st century. Technology is moving forward expect reliable electricity.

Pretty sure they are referring to "locked rotor amps" or are talking about the start up current needed to start AC systems when off grid.

OP we have no idea what that time frame is, as Tesla had stopped doing powerwall only installs for quite some time.

I also dont know what you mean by "ordered a couple of powerwalls" as in, did you order them as hardware (which is something tesla seems to allow now) and without installation, meaning you also have to find someone to install them (which is going to cost you more than you likely expect).... or did you order them with Tesla installation (meaning tesla has started doing powerwall only sales and installation)?
Actually, on the website I can order 2 Powerwalls for $15200. This depends on a few items - my delivery adress, existing solar, expansion on existing Powerwalls. There is a note that says Tesla will deliver and install on the same day, with a $6500 final payment requirement. Tesla has a certified installer for my area, and the total I just got on the website of $22612 (must include a couple other additions) saves $6000-$7000 on the price they quoted me for two additional Powerwalls. The last time I checked this, a couple weeks ago, my adress directed me to the area certified installer, if I'm remembering right.

Actually, on the website I can order 2 Powerwalls for $15200. This depends on a few items - my delivery adress, existing solar, expansion on existing Powerwalls. There is a note that says Tesla will deliver and install on the same day, with a $6500 final payment requirement. Tesla has a certified installer for my area, and the total I just got on the website of $22612 (must include a couple other additions) saves $6000-$7000 on the price they quoted me for two additional Powerwalls. The last time I checked this, a couple weeks ago, my adress directed me to the area certified installer, if I'm remembering right.

Looking at Teslas website, I walked through the information as if I was going to order (1) additional powerwall to go with my current 2 powerwall system. The powerwall is 8700 and the installation charge appears to be 6000, even after putting YES to I have solar already and I would be expanding a powerwall setup.

The quoted price for 1 powerwall, installed, then becomes 14,374 (without incentives because I never look at the "with incentives" price on anything tesla, as I can calculate that separately). 14k for 1 additional powerwall is right in line with what third party installers charge. I paid $18,200 for 2 powerwalls, installed, through tesla in 2020. Third parties were quoting me 22-25k for 2 powerwalls installed.

This is 14,374 for one ( and listed as expanding an existing setup), so I dont see how this is that much cheaper than any third party might charge (and I am in southern california, where Tesla itself definitely installs.)

A large (veteran owned) company quoted me over $32k for 2 additional powerwalls. This is pre fed tax break. They are the one's that installed my previous powerwalls. Their cost has gone through the roof. I also looked at 2 other installers and there both around the same price. $31k and $29k respectively. Again pre-tax savings.

The install is the killer cost, >%6k.

Looking at Teslas website, I walked through the information as if I was going to order (1) additional powerwall to go with my current 2 powerwall system. The powerwall is 8700 and the installation charge appears to be 6000, even after putting YES to I have solar already and I would be expanding a powerwall setup.

The quoted price for 1 powerwall, installed, then becomes 14,374 (without incentives because I never look at the "with incentives" price on anything tesla, as I can calculate that separately). 14k for 1 additional powerwall is right in line with what third party installers charge. I paid $18,200 for 2 powerwalls, installed, through tesla in 2020. Third parties were quoting me 22-25k for 2 powerwalls installed.

This is 14,374 for one ( and listed as expanding an existing setup), so I dont see how this is that much cheaper than any third party might charge (and I am in southern california, where Tesla itself definitely installs.)
Did you check the existing solar box question? If I recall the sequence, that may have been the action that changed the pricing. And, there was an additional price break I believe for two PWs. I chose two, because the OP chose two. The other thought is that when you must first enter your delivery adress before seeing anything further, what follows may be tailored to that adress entry. My view was as I stated, which happened today - but I didn't place the order. Like you, I switch to actual purchase price whenever looking at anything on the Tesla site - I want to see as close to what the actual bill would be as possible.
In any case, it sounds like the OP was describing that process, and perhaps saw different results than either you or I.

Edit: I just went thru this again. The existing solar or existing Powerwalls "yes" responses don't change the pricing. One Powerwall resulted in an installed cost of $14062, and two was as I saw before - $22612. So one is a smaller difference from the price I paid the certified installer (a bit less than $1500), but two represents a more significant difference. Evidently the delivery adress drives the rest, I'd say.

Last edited:
A large (veteran owned) company quoted me over $32k for 2 additional powerwalls. This is pre fed tax break. They are the one's that installed my previous powerwalls. Their cost has gone through the roof. I also looked at 2 other installers and there both around the same price. $31k and $29k respectively. Again pre-tax savings.

Yep, around what I paid

If they really need to sell these Powerwalls and save the planet, they really need to ship them directly to the house and make installation cheap. All I essentially need to add a third PW in the garage next to the two already there are a wall bracket to hang the new unit, some conduit pipe they can easily bend and attach to existing PW junction box, run a set of wires for power and communication thru the rest of the preexisting conduit, and a new circuit breaker in the Gateway. Shouldn’t be more than 2h of labor for 2 people and $100 in materials.

• Funny
Reactions: power.saver
If they really need to sell these Powerwalls and save the planet, they really need to ship them directly to the house and make installation cheap. All I essentially need to add a third PW in the garage next to the two already there are a wall bracket to hang the new unit, some conduit pipe they can easily bend and attach to existing PW junction box, run a set of wires for power and communication thru the rest of the preexisting conduit, and a new circuit breaker in the Gateway. Shouldn’t be more than 2h of labor for 2 people and $100 in materials.
Don't forget permit, inspection, new PTO and commissioning.

A large veteran owned company based very near you was here an hour ago. Quoted me $63k for a solar power system and $32k for a new roof. Yea… nope.

I found out last week catching up with my neighbor who got solar and storage from one of those veteran owned solar companies. Two and a half years later, they still don't have PTO. Long saga of delayed paperwork, missing data, changing personnel... I would be incandescent, but they seem merely angry.

Wow. (And their install had a number of hiccups as well, taking over a year.)

All the best,

BG

Solar industry is becoming the greed hungry element that is leaching from folks that want to save a few dollars and feel they are contributing to saving the planet. By no means am I militant about recycling, solar and climate change but do believe a little helps. With that said if their wishes were for the cleanest environment the price tag would be much lower. This is what happens when government intrusion, along with over regulation will do to most if not all well intended plans.

This is right in line with what Tesla quoted me on website to add one powerwall to existing 2 powerwall solar system (the 14k for one) , only reason I knew they would do powerwall only now was a whopping $500 rebate offer they emailed me 🤣