Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 & Gateway Power Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since August 2023, I have been running a 6.8kW, 2 string solar array, 6kW 3-phase Solis inverter and Powerwall 2 with gateway.

The property is a self-build so there is currently minimal/zero energy consumption except when I run tools or charge hand tool batteries. I also have a sim card router running to provide internet access for the Tesla PW2, which rated at 12W -> 288W over a 24 hour period assuming it's running at full-throttle. The Solis inverter is rated at <1W at night or when there is no generation.

When I check my Octopus daily usage via the app with readings taken every 30 minutes. Daily I am seeing a consumption of ~1kW.
My smart meter is capable of vector summing, so I thought any consumption imported (hence chargeable by Octopus) on the phases not connected to the PW2 would be zeroed by the PW2 exporting energy on the phase it is connected to.

I think it's either my 3-phase inverter or PW2 is the culprit here. I expect some usage but I thought the vector summing performed by the gateway would balance/zero this energy import/usage.

Anyone

Sorry I pressed the submit button too soon...

Since August 2023, I have been running a 6.8kW, 2 string solar array, 6kW 3-phase Solis inverter and Powerwall 2 with gateway.

The property is a self-build so there is currently minimal/zero energy consumption except when I run tools or charge hand tool batteries. I also have a sim card router running to provide internet access for the Tesla PW2, which rated at 12W -> 288W over a 24 hour period assuming it's running at full-throttle. The Solis inverter is rated at <1W at night or when there is no generation.

When I check my Octopus daily usage via the app with readings taken every 30 minutes. Daily I am seeing a consumption of ~1kW.
My smart meter is capable of vector summing, so I thought any consumption imported (hence chargeable by Octopus) on the phases not connected to the PW2 would be zeroed by the PW2 exporting energy on the phase it is connected to.

I think it's either my 3-phase inverter or PW2 is the culprit here. I expect some usage but I thought the vector summing performed by the gateway would balance/zero this energy import/usage.

Anyone with a similar experience, or see similar energy consumption with little or no appliances running?

Thanks in advance

My Tesla GW2 and inverters seem to use ~30-60 watts at night. The largest grid usage, however, is on cloudy days. I might pull from the grid as the GW2/powerwalls adjust to compensate as solar power fluctuates. I see 600Wh to 2kWhs pulled from the grid on those days, however the GW2 also seems to send about that much back. Not sure this matches your situation, but thought it might be helpful.

1700487168319.png

I'll just leave this here because it might be relevant to the OP's situation.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
My Tesla GW2 and inverters seem to use ~30-60 watts at night. The largest grid usage, however, is on cloudy days. I might pull from the grid as the GW2/powerwalls adjust to compensate as solar power fluctuates. I see 600Wh to 2kWhs pulled from the grid on those days, however the GW2 also seems to send about that much back. Not sure this matches your situation, but thought it might be helpful.

View attachment 992250
Not sure if this is the same or not, but I think we agree there is some consumption. I'm OK with some consumption but it's really about understanding where it's being used and that I don't have any issues with my installation.
Since I am not living in my house yet while it's being built, the only appliances running are my inverter, PW2 & Gateway and a sim card router for internet access while on site and PW2 updates.

I'm seeing a daily 1kW consumption regardless of the weather. Maybe this is acceptable but it does seem weird since my daily solar generation should cover this 1kW via the vector summing capabilities (smart meter and PW2 gateway).

I'll just leave this here because it might be relevant to the OP's situation.

Thanks for bring this to my attention. My issue could well be related.

My understanding is, in the UK all new smart meters installed should be SMETS2, which are supposedly better than SMETS1 meters (sounding like a scene from 'This Is Spinal Tap' LOL).

I had a lot of trouble finding a utility company to install a smart meter that can vector sum to work with the PW2 gateway. Besides Octopus who kind of knew, but were not 100% sure, the other were all clueless!

While Powerwall temperatures have an effect, but leaving that aside, with the addition of Powerwalls and a gateway, we saw an additional approximately 0.1kW draw per Powerwall.

I could make lots of unsupported guesses, but I think that there isn't enough data to seriously hypothesize what is going on. Can you post solar production, house (perhaps both days with builders, and non-builder days), and Powerwall charge/discharge data?

All the best,

BG

I agree that it could well be a metering problem and recall that some SMETS 2 meters co-exist with Powerwalls better than others. When my SMETS1 meter was replaced by a SMETS 2 meter a couple of years ago I got the installer to double check with his tech support that the meter he was about to fit would be OK. It was (details are probably in the SMETS thread). During the summer months this year when my nominal 4kW solar array plus two Powerwalls more than covered the domestic consumption I have been seeing up to 0.5kWh per month on my Octopus energy bill.

Reactions: BGbreeder