Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving vs. "Standard" driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be the only person who prefers creep to one pedal driving.

I guess because I prefer not to press on any pedals, especially when backing out of the garage. So the creep works for me.

I like the regen braking when taking turns but find I have more control with the lighter regen and the brake.

I guess I need to “train” my leg more but I also like coasting (which is really what you do with a manual, you downshift but don’t continue pressing on the accelerator).

I tried Hold but was not comfortable using the one pedal driving when pulling into my garage. Now I use Creep and Standard Regen exclusively. I do use the Hold brake feature when stopped at a traffic signal. I have gotten used to driving in Standard Mode acceleration but when the roads are slick I still use Chill Mode. For local driving Chill Mode makes it easier to control the power and acceleration.

So I finally converted to Hold. My passengers get more carsick but I will learn to make the slowdowns less abrupt.

I do like not having to press on any pedals at stoplights.

I figured out how to back out of the garage safely and I don’t get that brake squeal but I should have that checked.

Elon has infected me. :)

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
For local driving Chill Mode makes it easier to control the power and acceleration.

So I finally converted to Hold. My passengers get more carsick but I will learn to make the slowdowns less abrupt.

@BigNerd out of curiosity, have you tried chill mode yet? Like @jcanoe said above, it actually is a lot easier to modulate the speed on city streets. I switched over a couple of days ago. I found my driving a lot "twitchier" in standard mode. I'm going to try chill a bit longer but may well keep it on most of the time.

Like said above, just feather the go pedal. No need to be on or off. It's like a symphony. Go with the flow.

LOL, my older sister is a horrible driver, she drives like she is angry at the pedals, either hard on the gas or hard on the brakes. She makes it worse by looking at her passenger if they are having a conversation rather than looking out the windshield... I can't even imagine her driving an EV with good one pedal driving :) Something with driver assistance package like Autopilot might keep her from crashing though :D

Keith

So we just pick the car up yesterday and it is in hold regular regeneration mode. Feels very strange to use the car in one pedal setup. If I decide I do not like it, what settings get the Y closest to feeling like a traditional car?

I am going to give this a chance, but wanted to know.
The owners manual will tell you all you need to know. You can access on your touchscreen or download a PDF.

So we just pick the car up yesterday and it is in hold regular regeneration mode. Feels very strange to use the car in one pedal setup. If I decide I do not like it, what settings get the Y closest to feeling like a traditional car?

I am going to give this a chance, but wanted to know.
Was not comfortable driving this way, but we kinda get used to eventually. My PHEV acts just like a gas car, but pure EV is different