Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Once you sit in a Tesla, it is hard to want anything else!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven relatively new S class Mercedes for over 20 years, and ordered a P90D in late July. Anyone who considers a Tesla S a luxury sedan hasn't spent much time in a Mercedes S class. The S class also has massive amounts of leg room and the rear seats are every bit as comfortable as the fronts. Compared to the MB, the interior of the Tesla is chinzy, the seats are nowhere's near as adjustable or comfortable, the headrests aren't adjustable, and the car doesn't even come with a center console for Pete's sake. Why the console can't be ordered as part of the original build ticket is nonsense.

On the other hand, the Benz, even in it's most powerful AMG version can't come close to matching the performance of a P90D, which is why I'm buying one. I switch back and forth between sports cars and sedans, having owned a '66 Alfa, a '66 327/350 Corvette Coupe, '92 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and most recently a '97 C4S Porsche 911.

Am I looking forward to the Tesla? Absolutely. But in turn, I'm going to sorely miss the incredible luxury of the S class Benz. Life is indeed a series of trade offs.

I've driven relatively new S class Mercedes for over 20 years, and ordered a P90D in late July. Anyone who considers a Tesla S a luxury sedan hasn't spent much time in a Mercedes S class. The S class also has massive amounts of leg room and the rear seats are every bit as comfortable as the fronts. Compared to the MB, the interior of the Tesla is chinzy, the seats are nowhere's near as adjustable or comfortable, the headrests aren't adjustable, and the car doesn't even come with a center console for Pete's sake. Why the console can't be ordered as part of the original build ticket is nonsense.

On the other hand, the Benz, even in it's most powerful AMG version can't come close to matching the performance of a P90D, which is why I'm buying one. I switch back and forth between sports cars and sedans, having owned a '66 Alfa, a '66 327/350 Corvette Coupe, '92 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo and most recently a '97 C4S Porsche 911.

Am I looking forward to the Tesla? Absolutely. But in turn, I'm going to sorely miss the incredible luxury of the S class Benz. Life is indeed a series of trade offs.

I have not owned any luxury car other than Tesla but I have seen one of my friend who owns Mercedes S class and like what you said...interior looks way good than Model S.

Don't get me wrong...I love my car but wished it had more luxurious interior

I thought of this thread when I looked up a car I saw in the neighborhood yesterday. It was an unusual Mercedes two seater with an immense hood as long as Packards used to have. It turned out to be some special edition sports car with a starting price of $127K with a hand built engine. The pictures of the interior looked incredibly busy with knobs and buttons everywhere.

The whole thing left me completely cold. While I was looking at it, the only thing going through my head was if I had $127K to drop on a car, it would be a Model S. The Mercedes caught my attention as an unusual car, but I want one about as much as I want to live in Syria.

I thought of this thread when I looked up a car I saw in the neighborhood yesterday. It was an unusual Mercedes two seater with an immense hood as long as Packards used to have. It turned out to be some special edition sports car with a starting price of $127K with a hand built engine. The pictures of the interior looked incredibly busy with knobs and buttons everywhere.

The whole thing left me completely cold. While I was looking at it, the only thing going through my head was if I had $127K to drop on a car, it would be a Model S. The Mercedes caught my attention as an unusual car, but I want one about as much as I want to live in Syria.

Wholeheartedly agree. Also, +1 for "I want one about as much as I want to live in Syria." :)

As long as the "luxury" in MB cars refers to seats, trim quality(portions), and sound deadening I could agree with criticism of the Tesla. Any criticism of the dash, center console lack, lack of buttons to press, or style is purely taste and/or rooted in history not "luxury."

As long as the "luxury" in MB cars refers to seats, trim quality(portions), and sound deadening I could agree with criticism of the Tesla. Any criticism of the dash, center console lack, lack of buttons to press, or style is purely taste and/or rooted in history not "luxury."
+1 better seats more high quality materials pls a centre console while we're wishing. Oh and 360 degree cameras, oh were just talking about the inside...

From a business point of view, given where they are in the market, and how clearly e.g. Mercedes has shown this audience will pay a greater premium for interior fit and finish, they would be smart to give their customers the option of spending even more for something even better.

This feels like an "organizational capacity" thing. Tesla may be trying to do so many things at once, and they know they're already drawing enough premium car buyers to saturate their current production line.

They might decide to get better at luxury interior work if the X doesn't take off, or the S slows down, and they think it's because of competition from Mercedes. I'd rather be in the position of hiring designers and artisans to optionally hand-decorate some cars beautifully than having a beautiful car but playing catch-up with the underlying EV technology.

Right now it seems like Tesla is focused on the Model 3, and going down-market, where the scale is. Seems right to me.

Last edited:
I would be perfectly happy with the interior if more color choices of the same materials were available (e.g., chocolate brown or burgundy). Also, I don't especially like all the black accents when ordering light colored leather. I may have to go with a black interior to avoid the latter and fit my preferred window of October order for 2015 delivery, but I would be thrilled and would immediately place an order if color choices for S come out Sept. 29th or soon thereafter.

I would be perfectly happy with the interior if more color choices of the same materials were available (e.g., chocolate brown or burgundy). Also, I don't especially like all the black accents when ordering light colored leather. I may have to go with a black interior to avoid the latter and fit my preferred window of October order for 2015 delivery, but I would be thrilled and would immediately place an order if color choices for S come out Sept. 29th or soon thereafter.

I would like a dark blue interior. My current car is white exterior with dark blue interior and it looks great. The blue interior was only offered with a few of the exterior colors because a lot of combinations would clash. The colors Tesla offers for interiors go well with all the exterior colors offered. I notice that's standard practice in many cars these days.

Way back when I used to be a valet, so I got to be in a lot of really nice cars; so no, just sitting in a Tesla didn't sell me.

Being a passenger in a Tesla is what made me want one. I purposely haven't driven one yet as I have some home repairs that need to be done first, and I know that driving one will make it really, really hard to keep the priorities straight.

Being a passenger in a Tesla is what made me want one. I purposely haven't driven one yet as I have some home repairs that need to be done first, and I know that driving one will make it really, really hard to keep the priorities straight.

Sitting in a Tesla without driving is no fun (because of lack of motor noise you cannot anticipate what the driver will do; and anyway the seats - especially in the back - can indeed not at all be compared to those of a Mercedes S-Class). But once you get behind the steering wheel you understand why more or less 0% Tesla-owners will ever want to go back to an ICE-car. I can understand you are resisting that temptation, if priorities dictate you should!

Sitting in a Tesla without driving is no fun

I'm sure being a passenger pales in comparison to driving, but being a passenger was fun enough that it convinced me a Tesla would be my next vehicle :)

It'll be a year or two before I can get one, so one of my decisions will be a bare bones Model S or a decked out Model 3. Size wise the Model 3 should be fine as I currently drive a 2005 Honda S2000.