Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off Peak Rates in Massachusetts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @Robert.Boston,

Do your words above apply as well to municipal utilities, e.g., Wellesley?

I have been under the impression that, living where I do, my only choice is to buy power from the town's plant.

Thanks,
Alan
You'll have to contact your muni. I can tell you that Hudson Light and Power does not allow a choice in suppliers. It's them or nothing.

You'll have to contact your muni. I can tell you that Hudson Light and Power does not allow a choice in suppliers. It's them or nothing.
@tga is correct, and that's true for all muni customers. Open access is only mandated for customers of the investor-owned utilities (NStar, National Grid, and Northeast Utilities, for MA). I keep forgetting about all the munis, who serve a fairly large chunk of load in both MA and CT.

I have been under the impression that, living where I do, my only choice is to buy power from the town's plant.

With rates that look like they do not cross above $.10/kwh, I wish I had this one choice. The rates in the link are tiered, but you can see you'd have to mow through ~2,000kwh/month before they climb. Pollux, have I got your average price/kwh about right?
http://tinyurl.com/lxk7bvw

NSTAR's supply charge goes up to $.136, in December, before transmission takes it over $.18/kwh off-peak, and about $.28/kwh on-peak. With the 37% rate hike, I think National Grid customers will have it worse.

Munis like Wellesley, Hudson, or Reading, buy power long-term, using contracts (PPA's), or they outright own small slices of facilities like Seabrook, or NYPA's overnight output. In short, they plan.

Hi, @3mp_kwh,

You've found the right documentation re Wellesley power rates but the ultimate price is a bit different. There are transmission and other fees layered on top of the base rates. All-in, my Sep/Oct bill worked out at a tad over $0.17/kWh. That included what nets out to ~$0.04/kWh that my household pays as a "100% renewable energy" fee, that in theory somehow offsets the carbon content of the energy we're consuming. If we chose not to pay any renewable energy fee, we'd be paying an overall rate of ~$0.13/kWh. I'm currently using around 1400-1800 kWh/month -- about 1000 kWh of which are tied to the car.

I have thought that Wellesley's municipal light plant is giving me a good deal, but there's one thing they don't offer that I would wish for: a discounted off-peak charging option.

I also haven't heard what happens to Wellesley's pricing next year, when everyone else apparently will experience an increase. I don't imagine Wellesley will be left out of the "fun".

Alan

With rates that look like they do not cross above $.10/kwh, I wish I had this one choice. The rates in the link are tiered, but you can see you'd have to mow through ~2,000kwh/month before they climb. Pollux, have I got your average price/kwh about right?
http://tinyurl.com/lxk7bvw

NSTAR's supply charge goes up to $.136, in December, before transmission takes it over $.18/kwh off-peak, and about $.28/kwh on-peak. With the 37% rate hike, I think National Grid customers will have it worse.

Munis like Wellesley, Hudson, or Reading, buy power long-term, using contracts (PPA's), or they outright own small slices of facilities like Seabrook, or NYPA's overnight output. In short, they plan.

I have thought that Wellesley's municipal light plant is giving me a good deal, but there's one thing they don't offer that I would wish for: a discounted off-peak charging option.

I also haven't heard what happens to Wellesley's pricing next year, when everyone else apparently will experience an increase. I don't imagine Wellesley will be left out of the "fun".
Thanks, Alan. I wasn't sure $.10 was correct, but as there is sometimes ownership of plant it can lead to munis rolling the costs up together. Not all, but many show the fuel sources of their watts annually. Reading has a nice chart (and a 6 cent lower off-peak charge). I didn't see one, for Wellesley, but bet you could call and find out.

Due TOMORROW. If so inclined, you actually need to both mail and email comments to:

[email protected] (RE: D.P.U. 13-182)
Mark D. Marini, Dpt Pub Utilities, 1 Sth Station, 5th flr, Boston 02110

There are 21 questions for comment. A quick note could help. From the link DNAinaGoodWay gave:

5. On EV specific rates. These would require separate meters. If you think it could lead to high price tags on meters, and ultimately higher rates for "car-electricity", you might discourage it.

8. Looks like DPU might tell National Grid to lower the 2,500kwh monthly minimum, to sign up for Off-Peak pricing.
Even if you aren’t a National Grid customer, you could encourage DPU to eliminate this minimum. Possibly include an approximate number of monthly kwh you consume, to make the point it was always way too high, thus discouraging EV use. National Grid is likely to argue there is some administrative cost to offering more TOU, but a material one is a hard argument to make.

9. DPU is considering allowing a separate base monthly charge, for TOU users (over and above basic service). They reflected in the 11/6 meeting that these meters are installed across most of MA territory, and I take that to mean there is little argument for it being more expensive to meter TOU vs. fixed rate. They don't have to buy the new expensive AMI meters, that can do TVR and hit you with demand charges. So, as a ratepayer, again it is wise to promote TOU, on equipment that is paid for, and therefore does not justify an excessive base rate charge.

10. What incentives/disincentives exist for electric companies offering TOU?
If you had troubles signing up for TOU, with NSTAR getting back to you, or finding details about it, reflect that to DPU and encourage them to make it economic for the utilities to begin promoting TOU. This is what is missing, in my opinion. They promote light bulbs and water heaters because, in the end, it works out for them through decoupling. Utilities need to see something in it for themselves, before they care if you know about their TOU plan. All I can think of is a rate structure (between the generator and NSTAR/Nat Grid), etc, which allows the transmission company to charge customers relatively more for a daytime watt, than a night-time watt. Currently, I believe they earn the same margin for each. Robert?

These are just a few suggestions, to facilitate comment. The utilities are sure to weigh in. If the 11/6 meeting was any indication, surprisingly few EV voices are out there making the case.

Initial comments due tomorrow. Final comments due by the 15th. Thanks for the reminder. Gotta get my butt in gear.

Even if you're out of state, feel free to comment. Section D seeks feedback On "Lessons from other jurisdictions". If you have EV TOU where you are, you could help us relate to the MA DPU what the realities are.

I find they'll take email without the mail. It's not the correct protocol, but I always plead amateurism, and they haven't rejected my emails yet. Plus, I'm damn lazy.

Hey DNAinaGoodWay, I just want to post what I did in the Leaf forum, about the deadline:
not so sure:
It reads: "...initial comments no later than the close of business on Friday, 12/5. Any person interested in commenting may submit written reply comments no later than the close of business on Monday, 12/15."

I interpreted "reply comments" to mean comments on the comments, so if you wish to make your own I think the deadline is today. Thanks.

Hey DNAinaGoodWay, I just want to post what I did in the Leaf forum, about the deadline:
not so sure:
It reads: "...initial comments no later than the close of business on Friday, 12/5. Any person interested in commenting may submit written reply comments no later than the close of business on Monday, 12/15."

I interpreted "reply comments" to mean comments on the comments, so if you wish to make your own I think the deadline is today. Thanks.
Personally I always like writing reply comments more -- you'll have the utilities' comments to work from. If I've got some time, I'll work on reply comments.

Thanks Robert, a good plan. How does it work? Can a single reply comment include replies to several of the initial comments? How do people access the initial comments? Can't find them online yet. I have several as emailed pdfs, but many of them include language prohibiting me from sharing them. The only real difference of opinion I've seen so far is that some favor whole house TOU and some EV sub-metered TOU. What kind of process will the DPU use to make a ruling? Thanks again, appreciate your experience.

Go to this address: ByNumber then enter 13-182 in the search box. All comments are public.

With regard to form, one files a single document that address all the comments. It really helps to structure your document to make the points you want to make, making sure that you reference someone's comments along the way. Remember that you can use good arguments from one party to rebut a comment from another. That's really helpful to the DPU because you are doing their work for them and could help shape the final opinion very directly.