Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help with powerwall - time of use working properly via tesla app.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have contacted Tesla support multiple times, and while they take literal weeks to respond, all they do is give me copy and paste responses, I'm not sure they even read my questions since they often tell me to do things that I told them I did in my original email.

Every month I have 1 or more days where I use grid power during the high cost periods.(My electric company charges me a fee based on usage during a 1 minute period. For example, if I use 3 kwh for even a minute, I get hit with a $65ish fee, if I use 6kwh for a minute, that fee gets higher, etc.

Last month I used $4.85 of electricity during the high cost period and got hit with a $87 fee. This is on top of the monthly $40 fee I already pay for having solar while being tied to the grid...which is required by law in my state).

So between October and April my high cost periods are 5am - 9am, and 5pm - 9pm.I have my app set to use as much energy as possible between 5am - 10am and 5pm - 12am so that I can try and use all of the energy in my powerwalls before it waits for the next period.

(screenshot of time/date setup):
So the app had been working so far for October everyday, until 2 days ago on October 6th, the time worked in the morning. I used my powerwalls from 5am - 10am.

By 5pm my powerwalls were once again 100% full, and for some reason I was pulling grid power the entire time.

(screenshot of powerwalls during this time):
Ended up using 14 kwh between 5-9pm which will cost me a little over $100 in fee's alone. + another $40 for my monthly fee + whatever the cost was for using that electricity between 5 - 9pm.

Last time I reached out to Tesla, they said it's because my prices were inaccurate. My prices actually were accurate, but the app has no way to account for the one time monthly fee.To remedy this, I set my peak price to an outrageous cost, and put my sell to a potentially accurate number.

This worked from October 1 - October 5th and the morning of the 6th.

Additionally my backup reserve is set to 0% because my house is the priority when it comes to dealing with high costs.
Since I'm stuck paying the same rates I'd pay without solar, this Tesla purchase has been a complete and utter waste of money. Considering I just had a baby 3 months ago, this has been extremely painful.

Tesla support won't help me, so I'm turning to you guys. Please help!

I apologize if I've placed this in the wrong subforum, it seemed the app was the best place to post this.

Update: Just noticed that my powerwall was used a little bit on 10/07/2023 for a couple hours in the morning, but then went back to using grid power while I'm at 100% charge. I have weekends set to peak hours because the powerwalls don't like to be used otherwise.

Last edited:
I apologize if I've placed this in the wrong subforum, it seemed the app was the best place to post this.

I submitted a report to a mod for this subforum to move this thread to the Tesla Energy subforum, which is the best place here to get feedback on this type of thing. We have a few regulars in that subforum that are familiar with buy and sell pricing etc (thats not me, though).

Quick comment is your peak price doesn't even look hella expensive from my perspective. Remember that the price is just an input to the algorithms. You're not going to be paying anyone for that. Based on your descriptions it sounds like your effective costs for energy during peak is quite high. I would set it as high as the app will let you. It appears that you want the system to use battery power during peak if has any capacity at all.

Quick comment is your peak price doesn't even look hella expensive from my perspective. Remember that the price is just an input to the algorithms. You're not going to be paying anyone for that. Based on your descriptions it sounds like your effective costs for energy during peak is quite high. I would set it as high as the app will let you. It appears that you want the system to use battery power during peak if has any capacity at all.
Thanks, I'll try that.

I've set the powerwalls to self-powered then back to time of use which seems to have fixed my issue. But it's still a problem that something along the lines keeps happening once a month.