Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall Operation Strategies for PG&E Net Generators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting this thread to discuss Powerwall operation strategies for PG&E customers that are net generators. Trying to keep track of all the nuances can make your head spin. I'm on NEM2 EV2A and have made the following observations/conclusions:

The most efficient use is directly consuming from solar production.

The second most efficient use is drawing from the Powerwalls but you lose about 10% in round trip efficiency losses.

The least cost effective method (for net generators) is drawing "banked" power back from the grid. You get compensated at the wholesale rate at your annual true-up for any excess generation so any power you draw from the grid reduces that amount. Additionally you pay non-bypassable charges (NBCs) on any power you draw back from the grid.

Then there are pesky Time of Use (TOU) rates. My understanding is that you could be a net generator in power but still wind up with consumption charges if you drew more power during peak rates than you built up credit for. I.e., if your total charges are more than your total production value (in dollars) then you need to pay the difference. But you don't get compensated extra if your production value exceeds your consumption charges. And you can't use excess compensation to offset NBCs.

Additionally there are the minimum monthly charges. These appear to be useable for NBCs (as is the compensation for excess power generation) but I don't know what happens if the minimum monthly charges exceed the NBCs. And additionally there are the climate credits that come into play.

And lastly, one thing to take into consideration is wear and tear on the Powerwalls. For someone that only uses about 50% of their capacity on average this probably isn't much of a concern, they will probably just die of old age. But for someone that is using close to 100% of their capacity daily they might want to take ways to reduce Powerwall usage into consideration.

I'm an net generator (barely). I have a 10kW solar system and 3 Powerwalls (and no EV). I have a heat pump (but have other sources of heat). My winter electricity consumption exceeds my summer consumption. During the winter I set my reserve at 50% (I live in an area of frequent power outages). I was using Time Based Control (TBC) but the NBCs were hammering me. I considered switching to Self-Powered but was concerned that without a way of telling the Tesla app to avoid drawing power during peak rates I would get hit with excess peak consumption charges. Tesla really needs a hybrid option in their settings; self-consumption but a way to tell it to plan to avoid drawing power from the grid during peak rates.

The Netzero app (great app if you haven't tried it) now has the ability for basic automation. In Self-Consumption mode if I make it to 80% State of Charge by 3 pm I can usually make it through peak without hitting my 50% reserve. I have set up automations to increase my reserve and turn on grid charging in 3 increments (60%, 70%, and 80%) every 45 minutes starting at 12:45 pm. That way I have a backstop to make it through peak and so far it has been working good. Usually this only kicks in if it is cloudy or raining. There is a little bit lost due to the 10% round trip efficiency loss but the insurance is worth it to me.

I'll see how good this works through this summer and next winter.

Last edited:
We are close to the same situation, with lower demand, less solar, and same storage. Following your analyses elsewhere, I realized the importance of the MBC /NBC offset, and went from self powered, to time based control. I am still fiddling with charging times for the EV by manual starting the charge and then suspending it as solar drops. Mostly it seems to be working out, but aligning the PG&E bills with SCCE is not simple. PG&E has recently started charging us for all of the power we use, instead of banking it. I'm working on getting that fixed.

We are planning on switching to heat pumps for more heating (water & house), and that will make us large net importers, probably another 4.5MWh/yr. My initial analysis is that switching to a much, much larger solar system, optimized for winter production probably makes the most sense, even if it drives us to NEM 3/4/5...TBD

All the best,

BG

^^^
The main thing I don't like about TBC is during peak hours it doesn't allow self-consumption of the solar power you generate, it sends it all to the grid. So you wind up paying NBCs to get it back. It also causes a deeper discharge discharge of the Powerwalls during peak so you are losing that additional 10% round trip efficiency loss.

Last edited:
^^^
The main thing I don't like about TBC is during peak hours it doesn't allow self-consumption of the solar power you generate, it sends it all to the grid. So you wind up paying NBCs to get it back. It also causes a deeper discharge discharge of the Powerwalls during peak so you are losing that additional 10% round trip efficiency loss.
Hmm, that's not my experience. Are you sure don't have another setting enabled?

^^^
That kind of annoys me too. You could try @offandonagain 's NetZero app automations to use TBC during the day and automatically switch to self-consumption at the start of peak. On cloudy days using TBC during the day would prevent you from using the PW before peak and prioritize getting enough PW charge to cover your peak usage.

Hmm, that's not my experience. Are you sure don't have another setting enabled?
Yes, I tried several things. TBC always diverted solar generation to the grid and ran my house off the Powerwalls during peak hours.

One thing that would be useful is a table of how both TBC behaves during off-peak, partial-peak, and peak hours for different configurations and charge conditions; and how SP behaves during different conditions. It's too bad Tesla doesn't provide this.

Last edited:
Yes, I tried several things. TBC always diverted solar generation to the grid and ran my house off the Powerwalls during peak hours.

One thing that would be useful is a table of how both TBC behaves during off-peak, partial-peak, and peak hours for different configurations and charge conditions; and how SP behaves during different conditions. It's too bad Tesla doesn't provide this.
Hmm, interesting. I've heard some people of have an "export all solar" option. I don't have that option.

Are you in PG&E land? Some other investor owed utility? I wonder what underlying state/configuration is driving Tesla's decision making for your system.

I'm a net consumer and I've sometimes thought "export all solar" during peak would be beneficial to increase my credits. I'm achieving similar results by being in the virtual power plant.

That kind of annoys me too. You could try @offandonagain 's NetZero app automations to use TBC during the day and automatically switch to self-consumption at the start of peak. On cloudy days using TBC during the day would prevent you from using the PW before peak and prioritize getting enough PW charge to cover your peak usage.
I like the way SP operates during peak. I was going to try TBC during off-peak because I like the way it prioritizes solar self-consumes solar and Powerwall charging and doesn't send power to the grid unless it thinks it can make it through peak without drawing from the grid. But when I think about it, even though it sometimes seesaws between charging and discharging, the way self-powered works during off-peak peak makes sense as long as I have enough charge to make it through peak. Hence the automation which has no effect unless it is needed to get to 80% before 3 pm. But I haven't fully wrapped my head around all of this.

One thing I haven't tried is using TBC in peak mode to grid charge the Powerwalls to faster. When you enable grid charging in TBC during off-peak it fully charges the Powerwalls no matter what the reserve. Grid charging in TBC during peak may allow charging to only the reserve setting. For some reason grid charging in SP only allows about a third of the charging rate that is allowed in TBC.

Hmm, interesting. I've heard some people of have an "export all solar" option. I don't have that option.

Are you in PG&E land? Some other investor owed utility? I wonder what underlying state/configuration is driving Tesla's decision making for your system.

I'm a net consumer and I've sometimes thought "export all solar" during peak would be beneficial to increase my credits. I'm achieving similar results by being in the virtual power plant.
I have the options to export Solar only, Everything (solar and battery), or No exports. I want to be able to export solar but not battery so I have it set to Solar only.

Yes, I'm on PG&E. I want to switch to Pioneer but it would cost me too much to switch since my PG&E true-up is in September and the timing is never right for Pioneer's April true-up.

^^^
@RKCRLR I use TBC and am able to self consume solar power during peak. You need to do the following hack, go into the Tesla app settings, Utility Rate Plan, and set your Sell Prices to be 10-30% lower than your Buy Prices. This incentivizes the TBC software to act the way you want.

For example, if PGE EV2A Winter Peak rate is 53cents, keep that as the Buy price, but for Sell price, subtract your average NBC rate per kWh (about 3 cents) and multiply the whole thing by 90%, so 45 cents. I think this accounts for the NBC cost per kWh and the round trip efficiency, but others use different methods. Play with the values. As long as Sell is slightly lower than Buy you should be good.

@RKCRLR I use TBC and am able to self consume solar power during peak. You need to do the following hack, go into the Tesla app settings, Utility Rate Plan, and set your Sell Prices to be 10-30% lower than your Buy Prices. This incentivizes the TBC software to act the way you want.

For example, if PGE EV2A Winter Peak rate is 53cents, keep that as the Buy price, but for Sell price, subtract your average NBC rate per kWh (about 3 cents) and multiply the whole thing by 90%, so 45 cents. I think this accounts for the NBC cost per kWh and the round trip efficiency, but others use different methods. Play with the values. As long as Sell is slightly lower than Buy you should be good.
I had tried setting my sell price to something like 50% lower than my buy price during peak per recommendations from people on this forum. It would continue to sell power to the grid during peak even after my Powerwalls were drawn down well below fully charged. And then it started doing strange things during off-peak as I remember. On SP my system keeps the Powerwalls fully charged until there isn't enough solar to power my home. That is why it would be nice if Tesla would release information on how TBC is supposed to work with all the different settings. That way one could determine if it is working correctly. Better yet, have setting options like "only sell solar to grid during peak when Powerwalls are fully charged" or something like that.

Net generator here too. I have 7kW solar and one Powerwall2. My PTO was Sep 2021 so am in NEM 2.0. My provider is PG&E and my CCA is Peninsula Clean Energy (PCE).

I have similar concerns as the OP in trying to balance maximizing my annual payout, while using the PW2 gently. To this end I only use the PW2 during Peak and Shoulder times. I use Time Based Control with adjusted Buy/Sell prices. I recently started using Netzero automations to change backup reserve levels to enforce grid or solar use during off Peak, and PW or solar use during Peak and Shoulder.

I found this note very helpful. In my case PCE is one of the CCA's that compensates net exports at retail generation rates.

I've not seen many write ups on how PG&E NEM2.0 interacts with PCE so here is how it works for me as a net exporter: annual total Minimum Delivery Charges are ~$130. My grid use is such that my annual Non-Bypassable Charge is only about $120, so I don't owe PG&E anything at True Up. While the DOB reports a Cumulative Energy Credit, I will never see that credit and PG&E resets it to $0. In parallel, PCE compensates generation at retail rates, with a monthly credit roll-over to help offset any generation charges in the winter months. Annual cash out takes place every April. I'm tracking towards a $500 check next month.

I had tried setting my sell price to something like 50% lower than my buy price during peak per recommendations from people on this forum. It would continue to sell power to the grid during peak even after my Powerwalls were drawn down well below fully charged. And then it started doing strange things during off-peak as I remember. On SP my system keeps the Powerwalls fully charged until there isn't enough solar to power my home. That is why it would be nice if Tesla would release information on how TBC is supposed to work with all the different settings. That way one could determine if it is working correctly. Better yet, have setting options like "only sell solar to grid during peak when Powerwalls are fully charged" or something like that.
Hmm, not sure what's going on there. IIRC, it took a couple days for the TBC algorithm to learn the new conditions so it wasn't an immediate change. Also, I think you need to setup analogous Buy/Sell prices for Peak, Shoulder and Off Peak, not just Peak.

Perhaps recent Netzero automations make TBC vs SP superfluous since you have full control of behavior, in which case you are all set. I setup my TBC prices last summer.

In case you want to try TBC, one other note is I think 50% for sell is too extreme. If you are on PG&E EV2A, try these:
Powerwall Utility Rate Plan settings (PG&E):
PeakPart PeakOff Peak
Summer:
Buy$0.66 $0.66 $0.34
Sell$0.56 $0.46 $0.28
Winter:
Buy$0.53 $0.53 $0.34
Sell$0.45 $0.43 $0.28

Reactions: RKCRLR
Hmm, not sure what's going on there. IIRC, it took a couple days for the TBC algorithm to learn the new conditions so it wasn't an immediate change. Also, I think you need to setup analogous Buy/Sell prices for Peak, Shoulder and Off Peak, not just Peak.
There is a long post somewhere on this forum of all the things I tried to get it to work the way I wanted. At one point I gave it a week to settle in and it never did. And some of the settings resulted in things I definitely didn't want, like pulling from the grid during peak.
With SP and automation there is no guessing, it works exactly how I expect with the exception of not grid charging at the full rate for some reason.

Reactions: gsdubs
One thing I haven't wrapped my head around is whether you better off running off the Powerwalls at night or drawing from the grid as soon as peak rates end.

If you run off the Powerwalls then you avoid NBCs for that period. But then you have the 10% round trip loss that needs to be made up when the Powerwalls are recharged in the morning.

Are you better off paying the additional NBCs but getting compensated for the additional power at true-up or you better off self-consuming from the Powerwalls and taking the 10% hit?

One thing I haven't wrapped my head around is whether you better off running off the Powerwalls at night or drawing from the grid as soon as peak rates end.

If you run off the Powerwalls then you avoid NBCs for that period. But then you have the 10% round trip loss that needs to be made up when the Powerwalls are recharged in the morning.

Are you better off paying the additional NBCs but getting compensated for the additional power at true-up or you better off self-consuming from the Powerwalls and taking the 10% hit?
It depends. With MDCs involved it is cheaper to pull from the grid up until you reach your MDC (on average). Once you reach your MDC pulling from the PW is cheaper ignoring sunk costs into the PW and any negative effects on the PW longevity.

Without MDCs or once you have exceeded your MDC, pulling from the grid you pay the NBC, ~$0.03/kWh. Pulling from the PW you are reducing your true up by 10%/kWh due to the round trip loss, so if your true up pays $0.05/kWh you are effective cost is $0.005/kWh. This all assumes you maintain your position as a net generator.

Reactions: RKCRLR
It depends. With MDCs involved it is cheaper to pull from the grid up until you reach your MDC (on average). Once you reach your MDC pulling from the PW is cheaper ignoring sunk costs into the PW and any negative effects on the PW longevity.

Without MDCs or once you have exceeded your MDC, pulling from the grid you pay the NBC, ~$0.03/kWh. Pulling from the PW you are reducing your true up by 10%/kWh due to the round trip loss, so if your true up pays $0.05/kWh you are effective cost is $0.005/kWh. This all assumes you maintain your position as a net generator.
Yea, my gut was telling me that but I hadn't run the numbers. Thanks for the confirmation.