Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E, NBC's, EV-TOU2, and Optimizing Powerwall modes on NEM 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to have hit a mental block on the best operating modes for solar + Powerwall on EV-TOU2 to minimize non bypassable charges (NBC's). Within the last 18 months, SDG&E has changed how they handle NBC's on NEM 2.0 (SDG&E Minimum Charge Adjustment Changed May 1st - Solar Panels - Solar Panels Forum). Previously, they were part of the $10 minimum monthly charge but now that $10 charge and NBC's are billed separately, so every kwh pulled from the grid effectively costs $.03 ish.

The Tesla app doesn't seem to have a good way to accommodate for this. Every kwh pulled from the grid will cost $.03 and can't be offset by solar generation, but the app only has buy/sell rates to use as calculation data points. I have already set the buy price at $.03 higher than sell to help minimize the NBC's.

Assuming one can charge from the grid, does it make sense to do so at night with super off peak rates? In this scenario. NBC's are incurred to charge up the PW and on a typical day, solar will power the house and export excess. At some point, PW would begin powering the house and all solar is exported and PW will continue to power the house until 12a when super off peak starts. Yes, we're powering the house with super off peak power at $.28/kwh when the buy price is $.40-$.80kwh, but that power has a real cash price of $.03 kwh. Base calculations would suggest house would use 9-11 kwh of PW power, but when PW knows it has stored power at $.28/kwh, it'll being using it at noon to power the house and export all solar, not just excess.

If grid charging is off, then PW is charged with power at shoulder rates $.40/kwh. This seemed ideal to minimize NBC's while at the expense of generating mid tier NEM credits. If one is an overproducer or has enough NEM credits banked, then this is less of a concern. However, I have noticed that in this case, while PW will power the house during peak (4p-9p) while all solar is being exported, it cease at 9p and pulls from grid at that time incurring NBC's and will continue to do so until 6a. The house would use 9kwh ish during this time excluding that car charging.

Self consumption mode could be idea to solve this to tell PW to avoid pulling from the grid as much as possible, but with a car charing at night, pulling power from PW is not ideal and they'll drain fast and may not be able to fully charge with solar the next day in the winter.

I realize this is trivial as far as real cash is concerned. Assuming grid charing a PW incurs the most NBC's and one charges 2 PW's from 0 to 100% daily, it's only $25 a month or about $300 a year, but it is a fun math problem to figure out. I've just hit a mental wall.

Perhaps self consumption mode and use 3rd party tools to switch PW modes during the car charging window is the best solution. While that was also fun to set up, it does have occasional issues and requires monitors to ensure it's still working, else you end up in the wrong mode at the wrong time.

What's your strategy to minimize NBC's with your Powerwalls?

I'm trying to maximize self-consumption which has a side effect of minimizing NBCs. My total exports are limited (a complicated story I've shared before) so I need to self-consume. I also make sure that my buy and sell price also recognizes the approximate 10% round trip loss. So you probably want to set your sell price even lower. I haven't looked at things too closely but it looks to me like corner case for my configuration is the Powerwalls not discharging to offset the load late in the day when the sun is still shining (and we are peak rates) to maximize value of exports when there will be enough battery to cover the night usage (so no NBCs). It's a tough calculation, even for me, because I have nights there there is not enough battery to go through the night.

I'm on PG&E E-TOU-C with 3 Powerwalls and approximately 16kW of solar. I also almost always charge during the day these days. I don't have the latest software that allows the car to charge on excess solar. I just manually pick a value the try to avoid pulling from the grid or battery so minimize both NBCs and roundtrip losses.

TL;DR; try self consumption with a wider price gap between buy and sell.

The overall strategy is impacted much more by your balance of kWh generated vs. consumed. If you are a net consumer and you owe money at the end of the year, your best bet is to avoid all consumption except during Off-Peak at the lowest price. However, if you are a surplus generator and the amount you owe at the end of the year is completely NBCs, then you should try to shift as much of your consumption as possible to generating hours. Charging your car from solar after the Powerwalls are already full will save you the NBCs. However, if the car isn't at home during those hours, then you probably don't have much choice but to charge overnight during the lowest cost TOU period and pay the NBCs.

Some people reduce the Sell prices in the app by the NBCs and the round trip efficiency loss of 10%. So if the Buy price is $0.40, then set the Sell price to $0.40-$0.03-$0.04=$0.33 That's probably about the best you can do.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
Yeah, the car is gone during the day so I can't charge from solar, although I attempt to do so on the weekends when the off peak rate is until 2pm, but sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate. I am a net producer and typically just paid the NBC's which were offset by overproduction that cashed out at wholesale rates. Now that the monthly costs are higher, I paid about $20 last year, but watching this year slowly add up to a couple hundred due in May.