Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Spare Tire - I Have a few Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found out that there is no spare, and no good and easy place to store one either. It's a little worrisome for me, but I think we will be able to work around it.
I searched and read a lot on it, like this thread for example, but still have a few questions left:

1) is Modern Spare still the preferred option to get here, and the smallest with the 145/85R18 tire?
2) What is the diameter of the 19" OEM wheel / tire?
3) Has anybody tried places like LesSchwab or Discount Tire, to see if they can get you an even smaller tire and wheel combo? Like a 135/80R18?
4) For a longer trip, could a spare be stored behind the passenger seat, wit the rear seats folded down flat?

Thanks a lot for any help with this!

• Helpful
Reactions: jr_gn and pikapool
There are a few threads where folks have figured out good ways to store a cheater spare. I posted a few....

There are a few threads where folks have figured out good ways to store a cheater spare. I posted a few....
Thanks much! I have seen and read through those, but my questions up top still stand. Wasn't able to get the answers to those from the the search alone.

Aaah. I can offer a pointer to diameter, at least. There are a few tire calculators out there. It is 28” in diameter.

As far as the rest, I would start with a good local tire shop and ask them. I would try to get as close as possible to OE diameter, otherwise ride can get a little wonky. But more important, you need to be sure it has an adequate load rating for the car.

Modern Spare is still the Go To source for spare tire kits for Tesla vehicles including the Model Y. There are one or two other spare tire kits on Amazon but not many reviews.

The outer diameter of the wheel and tire combination on the Tesla Model Y is 28 inches for all wheel sizes.

Some Tesla owners carry a full size spare for trips.

If you have the Tow Hitch option on your Tesla Model Y there are wheel carriers that you can attach to the hitch mount.

There are now two different run-flat tires available for the 20" size wheel for the Tesla Model Y. These are summer tires, not all-season 3 or all-season 4 tires.

Reactions: JonB65 and flixden
Aaah. I can offer a pointer to diameter, at least. There are a few tire calculators out there. It is 28” in diameter.

As far as the rest, I would start with a good local tire shop and ask them. I would try to get as close as possible to OE diameter, otherwise ride can get a little wonky. But more important, you need to be sure it has an adequate load rating for the car.
Modern Spare for Gemini 19" wheels has the same rolling diameter as the original
wheel - or so they say🤔. I believe their wheels are designed to fit several models by providing multiple bolt holes and appropriately sized tire walls.

There are several Youtube videos for Modern Spare but mention " For Tesla Model..." In your search.
Also search Youtube for puncture foam repair for Tesla Model Y by Ben Vallack. He posts excellent Tesla ( and other tech) videos.

I, like you, saw the Stancemagic kit for about half price w/shipping and thought the same thing about lack of reviews. The thing I like about it is the built in jacking puck post while the Modern spare uses just a flat rubber pad. Wish there were more reviews or opinions on it. Can’t decide which to pull the trigger on. I travel in Ca, Az, and Co where not having a spare is stupidity.

I, like you, saw the Stancemagic kit for about half price w/shipping and thought the same thing about lack of reviews. The thing I like about it is the built in jacking puck post while the Modern spare uses just a flat rubber pad. Wish there were more reviews or opinions on it. Can’t decide which to pull the trigger on. I travel in Ca, Az, and Co where not having a spare is stupidity.
I would use a puck either with the pad, if there is sufficient clearance or check if the pad can be removed. I like that the puck is retained in the chassis hole and offers a good area for the jack head.
Having said that, the pad might be OK if positioned accurately.

Remember: 129 pounds ft for lug nuts.

Reactions: flixden
I would use a puck either with the pad, if there is sufficient clearance or check if the pad can be removed. I like that the puck is retained in the chassis hole and offers a good area for the jack head.
Having said that, the pad might be OK if positioned accurately.

Remember: 129 pounds ft for lug nuts.
That's a lot of torque. Won't have a torque 🔧 with me though, so really tight will have to do until I reach the next tire place ... 😄

Reactions: Wattsisname
This a spare wheel/tire meant for driving short distances up to 50 MPH. You don't have to use a torque wrench and ensure 129 ft-lbs. As long as you tighten the lug nuts by feel using the provided lug adapter and tool it will be fine.
Good point. I stand (correctly) corrected.😀 regarding the spare.
Perhaps worth the reminder for when the stock wheel goes back on the car.
I have read of tyre fitters being unaware of the Tesla requirement - it was probably just torque🙄.

Just ordered the StanceMagic Complete Spare Wheel and Tire for Tesla Model Y from Amazon while it is in stock. I will be taking at least one road trip this summer and want to have a spare kit to take on trips.
Today I received the StanceMagic spare wheel and tire kit for the Tesla Model Y from Amazon. I have unboxed and checked the contents for damage and fit inside my 2020 LR Model Y. There is a small hole, from rubbing during shipping, in the larger pouch that stores the scissor jack but the kit appears to be undamaged. I plan to carry this spare on road trips. The box is heavy as delivered but the spare is much easier to move, carry once you separate the scissor jack and tools. (Don't trust the box handle cutouts as they tear. I dropped the box on my big toe; my toe is OK.)

I am posting some unboxing photos and also photos showing the StanceMagic spare wheel fitting behind the front passenger seat and inside the hatch area. The tire size is T155/85R18 115M T010; The tire sidewall states to Inflate to 60 PSI (420 KPA).

The complete kit includes: wheel with tire with carry case, scissor jack with storage pouch; (the top part of the scissor jack has non-removable Tesla lift point adapter), jack ratchet wrench, expanding lug wrench, lug nug adapters (21mm and 17mm included), one pair of gloves, center removal cap tool (I think?). It may be hard to see due to the plastic bag but I was able to fit the spare wheel under the roof line lip of the hatch on a slight angle.

Attachments

• image_123927839 (8).JPG
    image_123927839 (8).JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 258
  • image_123927839 (1).JPG
    image_123927839 (1).JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 160
  • image_123927839 (6).JPG
    image_123927839 (6).JPG
    467.8 KB · Views: 158
  • image_123927839 (3).JPG
    image_123927839 (3).JPG
    462.6 KB · Views: 166
  • image_123927839 (4).JPG
    image_123927839 (4).JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 167
  • image_123927839 (7).JPG
    image_123927839 (7).JPG
    533.3 KB · Views: 184
  • image_123927839 (2).JPG
    image_123927839 (2).JPG
    521.3 KB · Views: 180
  • image_123927839 (5).JPG
    image_123927839 (5).JPG
    504.6 KB · Views: 173
  • image_123927839 (9).JPG
    image_123927839 (9).JPG
    544.4 KB · Views: 172
  • image_123927839 (10).JPG
    image_123927839 (10).JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Today I received the StanceMagic spare wheel and tire kit for the Tesla Model Y from Amazon. I have unboxed and checked the contents for damage and fit inside my 2020 LR Model Y. There is a small hole, from rubbing during shipping, in the larger pouch that stores the scissor jack but the kit appears to be undamaged. I plan to carry this spare on road trips. The box is heavy as delivered but the spare is much easier to move, carry once you separate the scissor jack and tools. (Don't trust the box handle cutouts as they tear. I dropped the box on my big toe; my toe is OK.)

I am posting some unboxing photos and also photos showing the StanceMagic spare wheel fitting behind the front passenger seat and inside the hatch area. The tire size is T155/85R18 115M T010; The tire sidewall states to Inflate to 60 PSI (420 KPA).

The complete kit includes: wheel with tire with carry case, scissor jack with storage pouch; (the top part of the scissor jack has non-removable Tesla lift point adapter), jack ratchet wrench, expanding lug wrench, lug nug adapters (21mm and 17mm included), one pair of gloves, center removal cap tool (I think?). It may be hard to see due to the plastic bag but I was able to fit the spare wheel under the roof line lip of the hatch on a slight angle.
Thanks for the info. I really like the properly fitting lug holes on the Stancemagic rather than universal holes in the Modern spare tire. Ordering mine today.

Reactions: jcanoe
Thanks for the info. I really like the properly fitting lug holes on the Stancemagic rather than universal holes in the Modern spare tire. Ordering mine today.
Interesting; " .....properly fitting holes..." have you found that the holes in the modern spare are not properly fitting? That would negate the benefit of the universal holes and perhaps make them not quite right for several wheel types😱 but probably not.

Interesting; " .....properly fitting holes..." have you found that the holes in the modern spare are not properly fitting? That would negate the benefit of the universal holes and perhaps make them not quite right for several wheel types😱 but probably not.
Not really sure what the other person is about... but the wheel just comes with two sets of bolt patterns. 5x114 and 5x120. One 5x pattern offset in the space of the other 5x pattern. That's about as "universal" as most get as that would already fit most cars/light SUVs. The Tesla just uses the smaller (5x114) pattern, that's all.

If you want a really universal wheel... it'll look really goofy.

Here's a google result for more info.

Oh, for full disclosure, I have the Modern Spare. It sits between the front and rear passenger seats and no, it won't fit if the rear is folded down.

If you want a really universal wheel... it'll look really goofy.

Here's a google result for more info.

Oh, for full disclosure, I have the Modern Spare. It sits between the front and rear passenger seats and no, it won't fit if the rear is folded down.
Neither I nor the OP were expressing a desire for " universal holes", the OP's terminology.
I was simply querying their concern as to the fit of the Modern Spare. I also have a Modern Spare which is yet, I am happy to say, to be used in anger.....fingers crossed.

Last edited: