Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No sign of Tesla shipping to Australia / New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope all of you heard the "shipments of RHD units to UK, Aus, Japan etc. start in March" portion of yesterday's press conference at the Detroit auto show yesterday! Finally - I know some of you have been waiting a staggeringly long time.

I tested a Model S in Hong Kong over a year ago and was keen to purchase one as we want to sell the big SUV we have. It's been tough, I asked Tesla about estimated dates and they have nothing only that it would be after Australia. Priced the way it is at the moment, it would just fit in our budget but if we were to buy a new car now it would eliminate the option. At the same time we can't just sit here waiting with no dates.

I applaud Tesla for replying customer emails personally but it hasn't been to helpful since their own people have no time frames for NZ either.

So now its either buy that new car or sit here waiting another year without a clue if its going to be another year after that.

We don't need 7 seats, we've been thinking of trading in a 2012 Cayenne S which only has 5 seats. It's mainly the fuel savings that we are concerned about. We don't want to get a fuel efficient car that is slow either so the Tesla fits perfectly. Stone said we can pay a deposit but there will be no delivery until they've set up service centers in NZ.

It doesn't help that the NZ gov who boast the 100% Pure image has no incentives for EV's?

Drive confirming Tesla's 'return' to Australia
tesla-to-return-to-australia
Sounds like they heard of Elons' recent speech and have put a call through to Naomi.

A source (not inside Tesla) tells me that a Tesla employee who used to work at the Newport Beach California showroom has just moved to Australia and will be involved in setting up operations there. Tesla also has shipped a P85 (I assume a RHD car) to Australia for him to use as a demo. I do not know when the car will arrive there but I understand the employee is there now.

A source (not inside Tesla) tells me that a Tesla employee who used to work at the Newport Beach California showroom has just moved to Australia and will be involved in setting up operations there. Tesla also has shipped a P85 (I assume a RHD car) to Australia for him to use as a demo. I do not know when the car will arrive there but I understand the employee is there now.
Cary in Melbourne? Stone in Sydney, of course has had a demo car here for a few weeks now. I have both seen and sat in it. RHD.

Stone said we can pay a deposit but there will be no delivery until they've set up service centers in NZ

I hope they start that soon. The market is ready; our economy is good, the exchange rate is high and energy consciousness is trendy.

Tony Johnston, Mitsubishi National Fleet Sales Manager, is on record saying where they used to sell 1 or 2 EVs a month they sold 30 in March and 40 in April.

It's noticeable that a lot of the charging stations on Plugshare are located at Mitsubishi dealers.

It doesn't help that the NZ gov who boast the 100% Pure image has no incentives for EV's?

The exemption of RUC is something to be thankful for. True that it's not a lot unless you are doing high mileage.