Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Longer Can get Full Re-Gen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I've not experienced it personally, a number of folks here have reported a regen difference post-firmware-update. It seems that the dance to correct this has been:

1. Toggle setting to "Low"
  2. Reboot
  3. Toggle setting to "High"
  4. (Optionally) reboot again

So just for thoroughness' sake it might be worthwhile to try this?

Good tip.

Question: Is it necessary to wait for the 3G connection to come back before re-booting the second time? I find that can take a substantial period of time on my car, while everything else is back up and running.

I don't know if this has much to do with weather as I've got snow on the ground where my house is and it's about 25F in the mornings and as long as my battery is preheated (been using the timed charging) I'm actually able to get more than 60kw of regen. my husband pointed out last weekend when on the freeway he was getting off an off ramp and going from 75mph the kW shot way down past the 60kw mark. We were wondering the flip side if something was wrong but then realized we've onky had 6.0 for about a month and it's likely that.

i didn't think the Chargers had anything to do with regen? Do they? I only have one charger and my master went out back in September only had about 80 miles on the battery but was able to drive it to the SC despite not being able to charge the car but the regen wasn't affected.

you might try a hard reboot by pulling the yellow fuse (especially if your car is taking forever to pull the 3G back up) I have to do this about every two weeks and as a side note it makes the maps load faster and the Internet run faster.

my husband pointed out last weekend when on the freeway he was getting off an off ramp and going from 75mph the kW shot way down past the 60kw mark.

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that before. Mine used to "peg" itself at 60 under those conditions and gradually reduce as the car slows. Now it goes to somewhat less than 60 and kind of "twitches" there until the car slows and it begins to ramp down.

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen or heard of that before. Mine used to "peg" itself at 60 under those conditions and gradually reduce as the car slows. Now it goes to somewhat less than 60 and kind of "twitches" there until the car slows and it begins to ramp down.

I too have been seeing the "twitchy" regen especially around 45kw. I thought it was just cold weather related, but I really noticed it on my drive to work this morning. You can actually feel the twitchiness modulating the braking effect. Roads were dry and above freezing, so it's not a traction issue. I didn't notice this behavior last year.

Interesting as it started getting colder, I noticed the same behavior. The car stops doing this if I pre-warm the battery or if I drive 40+ miles. It appears that the regen-limiter is active but not displayed.

reggened.jpg

The limiter line for both regen and battery power can at times be flakey... the limit is present but the line may not always display.

Sometimes for the battery limit the dashed line will momentarily display within the shaded swept are of the needle, and then disapperas the needle swings back down... making it hard to catch.

The dashed line always goes away before the actual limiting does. Set the timer so that the charging finishes just before you start driving and preheat the car and you'll seldom see the cold limitation.