Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I second that. I would say around town, 0-40MPH, the LEAF is actually somewhat fun to dart around. No smoking tires, but it doesn't embarrass when the stoplight turns green either. But after 40MPH things start to head to the "just adequate" category with no fun factor other than the serene quiet.

It doesn't attempt to accelerate like a Tesla.

Funny story... I know the fellow who got the first Leaf in Canada. The first time I met Ricardo I took him for a ride in my Roadster. As we were exiting the parking lot I asked him, "So, how do you like the Leaf?" "It's fun to drive. Very torque-y". I looked at him, smiled, and floored it. "Ooookay... not that torque-y!!!!"

Yeah, I second that. I would say around town, 0-40MPH, the LEAF is actually somewhat fun to dart around. No smoking tires, but it doesn't embarrass when the stoplight turns green either. But after 40MPH things start to head to the "just adequate" category with no fun factor other than the serene quiet.

It doesn't attempt to accelerate like a Tesla.
Given the intent (I think) for it to be a mostly city vehicle (range limit), that sounds like a smart design choice -- pep where you need it most for inner city driving.

- - - Updated - - -

I know the fellow who got the first Leaf in Canada.
For some reason, an image popped in my head of a paint job with a red leaf prominently displayed -- essentially the vehicle's exterior proudly indicating the model name via the, well, large tattoo. I'm surprised an internet search didn't pop up an image for me. :(

I thought the same thing. Are all Leafs in Canada mandated to be painted red?

I've never seen a red one...

npd2012.jpg

Ricardo's is two spots over from my Roadster.

So with all that's been going on with Tesla, any new advances for Nissan? I know by watching 'Revenge of the Electric Car' that the head of Nissan is all about EVs, so I wonder what he thinks about what Tesla has accomplished. Are there any new articles on what the company is doing? Thanks.

Well there was this disappointing news:
2015 Infiniti LE 'Luxury Leaf' Sedan Put On Hold Indefinitely

On the other hand, the new LEAF factories (Tennessee for example) are making lots of cars, and from what I can tell, sales are going well.
So, Nissan made a "head start" bet going for "end game" with the high volume LEAF, and seems to be staying focused there.

Interesting. Thanks. Nothing new on their battery pack then?.......can you go a little farther in the 2013 model than when it first came out, which was like, what 2010? Wondering if the LEAF will always just have an average mile range and such.

Interesting. Thanks. Nothing new on their battery pack then?.......can you go a little farther in the 2013 model than when it first came out, which was like, what 2010? Wondering if the LEAF will always just have an average mile range and such.
No. It seems the '13 has no more range than the '11 and '12.

See TonyWilliams' range tests at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - 2012 / 2013 LEAF Range Test San Diego Mar 8, 2013 and My Nissan Leaf Forum 81 miles.

The BIGGER news is My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Battery Replacement Program Details that was announced the same day as Tesla's battery swapping, but in the morning. Unfortunately, the delivery left a lot of questions to be answered. Chelsea Sexton chimed in w/some answers: My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Battery Replacement Program Details. She was appointed to lead a Leaf advisory board long ago.

Nissan Leaf battery replacement will cost $100/month, offers new pack at any time is an article on the plan.

It seems like the plan is half baked and the reaction, at least on MNL, has been mostly negative.

- - - Updated - - -

Beat you to it at Infiniti LE - Page 9. :tongue:

See TonyWilliams' range tests at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - 2012 / 2013 LEAF Range Test San Diego Mar 8, 2013 and My Nissan Leaf Forum 81 miles.

The BIGGER news is My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Battery Replacement Program Details that was announced the same day as Tesla's battery swapping, but in the morning. Unfortunately, the delivery left a lot of questions to be answered. Chelsea Sexton chimed in w/some answers: My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Battery Replacement Program Details. She was appointed to lead a Leaf advisory board long ago.

Nissan Leaf battery replacement will cost $100/month, offers new pack at any time is an article on the plan.

It seems like the plan is half baked and the reaction, at least on MNL, has been mostly negative.

- - - Updated - - -

Beat you to it at Infiniti LE - Page 9. :tongue:

Thanks. I'll check out the links.

Re: the Leaf's range, its Chief Vehicle Engineer has gone on camera saying he recognizes Leaf owners want more range.

Right now, unfortunately, there's quite a big gap in range between say the Leaf along w/most other inexpensive BEVs and the 60 kwh Model S. See bottom of Testing Electric Vehicles in the Real World (their Model S was an 85 kwh model). The only one you can can buy that has significantly more range than the rest (but less than the S) is Tesla-powered Rav4 EV CA compliance car.

Too bad the leasing prices on the Rav4 EV suck.

BTW, don't know why they used an '11 Leaf. Its battery has likely degraded somewhat vs. a new one.

It should be noted that it was climate control off, so it didn't show the benefit of the heat pump. But it did suggest the EPA gains came from the heat pump and the test cycle change.
The BIGGER news is My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Battery Replacement Program Details that was announced the same day as Tesla's battery swapping, but in the morning. Unfortunately, the delivery left a lot of questions to be answered. Chelsea Sexton chimed in w/some answers: My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Battery Replacement Program Details. She was appointed to lead a Leaf advisory

One word: poo.

It should be noted that it was climate control off, so it didn't show the benefit of the heat pump. But it did suggest the EPA gains came from the heat pump and the test cycle change.
Not using climate control eliminates a bunch of variables. AFAIK, the CC on the '11 and '12 Leaf has goofy behavior on when the (energy sucking) heater runs. (I don't have a Leaf yet. Long story.)

As for the EPA gains, well, the MPGe values went up and I haven't closely followed the discussion as to why as I don't really care.

Some have speculated that its due to increased charging efficiency (fewer charging losses w/6 kW on-board charger while charging at 6 kW than the 3.3 kW OBC on the older Leafs). And yes, there was the EPA test cycle change. AFAIK, they ran the 2 cycle test on the '11 Leaf but I think the 5 cycle test on the '13. On the '13, I believe they also averaged the results from running in the long-life vs. "100%" charge mode.

As for EPA gains in general from the heat pump... well, it's not standard on the '13 and there's no choice to choose with or w/o heat pump heater at Compare Cars Side-by-Side.

The new heat pump, of course, doesn't increase range. It merely reduces the reduction of range that a resistance heater uses.

Right, but for those of us living in colder climates, that reduced reduction would be a significant factor for a significant part of the year. With the Leaf's unmanaged battery, lowering average load and days charging at 100% would be very important for lowering electricity use and maximizing miles before replacement, dominant factors in PEV TCO.

It can get cold enough here that you have to allow for running the resistive heater, but I wouldn't buy a BEV here without a heat pump since a lot of the time the winter temperatures are in the mid teens to high twenties. Any BEV without a heat pump as an option is a compliance car.

Last edited:
Is that concept actually aerodynamic? I see a lot of odd bulges and channels. The front grill looks to be just a flat plane with some anti-channelling filigree. I think the Leaf is more aero than this concept to be honest.
Yeah… I am unfortunately a bit tired tonight, but I should of course in hindsight have included a caveat about shaving of the obvious aerodynamic deadly sins and such…

- - - Updated - - -

I did however write:
…/if it had looked something like/… [Added underline to emphasize.]