Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kinda a trick question. Yes it is a Roadster since it's a sports car and new by not having anything to do with the Lotus derived platform. And since it uses the "skateboard" from under the Model S and Model X, one might say that it is a performance version of the model S. Though from the description I don't think much of the actual Model S bodywork would apply.

I guess in my head I always pictured it as its own model and not just a Model S variant (like a wagon or convertible would be). Though, I guess the Model X is technically its own model and it will still have Model S underpinnings.

I've got to start getting in the habit of thinking of the skateboard as a platform and not necessarily a "model"

Does anyone expect the next version of the Roadster to include a few features to make people fit into the car a little better like moveable steering column and seats? A slightly taller windshield would help taller drivers too.
Movable steering column and seats could easily be done without sacrifice - even something as simple as the Tri-Magnum (although that has a movable steering column and a completely fixed seat).

I don't think the taller windshield would do very well because it would increase the wind drag.

I think Musk said at one point that he wants the next Roadster to be a "Porsche Fighter" that would have a small back seat similar to the 911s.

... I would love to see them also make it a bit lighter which very well could happen with the advances in battery technology.
I recall Musk saying "Porsche Killer," which sounds even more competitive. I also take it to mean that he is focused on performance, in terms of not only beating the 0-to-60 time of the Porsche, but also being able to attain speeds above 125 mph and maintain this high level of performance for longer than 17 minutes. Making a lighter Roadster would certainly help.

I don't see how adding a small back seat is going to improve performance in any way. Along those lines, Tesla Motors might as well use the Model S if the competition is going to be all about luxury, comfort, and convenience features.

Random picture of a Lexus LFA convertible concept:
lexus-lf-a-roadster-01-470x352.jpg

And then there is this:
LeftLane News render
Illustrated: 2013 Tesla Model R
model-r-2_1035.jpg

If there is a 4-seater convertible then they have to come up with a way to make the ride comfortable in the back seats. Ladies hate it generally as they get buffeted by the wind, everyone hates riding in the back because you cannot hear anything from the conversation in the front seats. I seem to recall that Mercedes came up with a concept to force the air up and over the back seats to fix this problem but it wasn't very pretty.

A birdie told me plans are for the next gen roadster to be Tesla's fifth car, after the S, X, and a compact.

No surprise. I've said it before; the next-gen Roadster should not be a priority if they're looking to maximize shareholder value. The Roadster has done its job -- reposition EVs, get Tesla some cred, and help bring in the money to build the Model S. Now they need to execute the plan.

No surprise. I've said it before; the next-gen Roadster should not be a priority if they're looking to maximize shareholder value. The Roadster has done its job -- reposition EVs, get Tesla some cred, and help bring in the money to build the Model S. Now they need to execute the plan.

I agree but I think the next gen Roadster should come after the Model S and Model X are in full production. Having a high end sports car does draw attention to the company and having a newer model at some point would be good for the company, even if it's a much larger version of the Roadster and not as fast.

I agree for the most part, I mainly quoted this for an observation: People tend to always go the "maximize shareholder value" route. IMO, the main goal as a company (and CEO of the company) is to become profitable and stay afloat. THEN they can worry about fluff like the stock price -- which is usually more about perception and emotion than reality anyway.

I agree but I think the next gen Roadster should come after the Model S and Model X are in full production. Having a high end sports car does draw attention to the company and having a newer model at some point would be good for the company, even if it's a much larger version of the Roadster and not as fast.

I also agree. Get 2 models out the door that are meant to sell in volume, then put out another high end model for more "cred" and to satisfy the junkies. It would be something like 2014-2015 by then anyways, so maybe the new R and Bluestar will launch around the same time.

Does anyone expect the next version of the Roadster to include a few features to make people fit into the car a little better like moveable steering column and seats? A slightly taller windshield would help taller drivers too.

Dave
I would go along with the idea that it will be impressive and comfortable. I say that Roadster 3.0 and Bluestar should share the same platform.

Racer.com - Tesla plans all-new Roadster

Tesla plans all-new Roadster Oct 26, 2011

The 5-series-sized Model S will spawn a crossover Model X variant next year, and it's likely to be followed by a cabriolet in 2013. Tesla CEO Elon Musk also confirmed to Autocar that in 2014 the company will launch a new Roadster

Musk added that the new Roadster would be based on a “third-generation platform,” which is likely to be a shortened version of the architecture just developed for the Model S and its derivatives.

About to read (post first! read later! :smile:), but this quote... can't be right?

The 5-series-sized Model S will spawn a crossover Model X variant next year, and it's likely to be followed by a cabriolet in 2013. Tesla CEO Elon Musk also confirmed to Autocar that in 2014 the company will launch a new Roadster

That would mean the Model X would launch by the end of 2012? I thought it was going to be the end of 2013

Although Tesla has lost money on every Roadster sold, Musk said the car was significant in helping to establish the marque and electric cars in general.

I thought that was initially, but that towards the end, they were profitable on Roadsters?

In any case, I'd love a revamped roadster. The main reason I skipped it was because of size and styling (never been a fan of Lotus designs). A restyled version with a bit more space and less-spartan interior would likely get my dollars.

Last edited:
...Although Tesla has lost money on every Roadster sold...
I thought that was initially, but that towards the end, they were profitable on Roadsters?

Yeah, I recalled reading the same thing...

Roadster helps Tesla Motors turn first profit - Aug. 7, 2009
...A surge in sales and reduced manufacturing costs of Tesla's Roadster 2 sports car helped boost the company to $1 million in earnings and $20 million in revenue...

Tesla Motors CEO says Roadster costs down, company to be profit... - Topix
...The CEO of Tesla Motors said ... that the material cost of the electric car company's Roadster sports car has dropped to about $80,000...

Tesla Finally Turns A Profit | Autopia | Wired.com
...Konrad said “relentless tweaking of the supply chain” helped Tesla improve the Roadster’s margins. Two years ago, the Roadster’s bill of materials — the cost of every part needed to build a car — stood at $145,000. The company has since brought that down to about $80,000, she said...