Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer car reliability poll (2015-2016)

Which items below have affected your 2015 or 2016 Model S?

• No faults worth a service visit since delivery

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • Drive motor failure (70D)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drive motor failure (85D or 90D models)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Drive motor failure (P85D or P90D models)

• Drive motor failure (Rear wheel drive Model S)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Battery Pack issue or replacement

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Noticeable squeaks or rattles worth service visit

Votes: 38 22.0%
  • Body mechanical issues such as door handle replacement

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • 17" Touchscreen or infotainment problem

• Suspension Issue

• Coolant system issue

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Rust or corrosion

• Exterior lighting issue

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Interior leather or interior panel issue

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • An issue not listed requiring a service visit

Votes: 49 28.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12v battery failed. May have been connected to faulty charger supplied by third party, but Tesla made warranty repair. They also had extensive conversations with the supplier, but Imnever heard anything specific other than an immediate replacement of my charger.
Otherwise faultless.

Took delivery of 85D at the end of September 2015. Issues:

- Severe creaking from the pano roof (fixed but it's starting to come back)
- loud squeaking when opening and closing driver window (fixed)
- rattling from seat belt anchors hitting the plastic sides of the seats (alleviated somewhat by placing felt tape)
- Bluetooth complete failure (fixed)
- navigation route rendering failure (fixed)
- locked out of the car because the car has the worst antenna design to detect the key compared to ANY other car in the world (can't be fixed)
- replaced a door panel that came defective from the factory with a wrong part (still not fixed as apparently they can't figure out the right part based on my VIN. So I have to come to the service center to show them)

This is 500% higher defect rate than any new car I have previously owned (Honda, Acura, Infiniti, and several Lexus)

Dec. 2015 delivery. Minor things, but have had to go to the service center twice. Rear window not fitted properly and lost the ability to connect to a cellular network. This last issue has happened twice.

i also have a creak in the headliner around the mirror area which they have not been able to fix. It is intermittent.

So far the poll is looking fairly decent. The "major" items like drive unit and battery pack failures are minimal. It's a shame about all the squeaks and rattles reported. Most of those I could probably fix myself with strategically places rubber grommets and felt liners.

Technically received 12 days before 2015 but I'll chime in here:

I know rattles are such a minor thing compared to some of the stuff people have had, but man is it frustrating.

I've had few a new rattles develop, one is coming from the passenger side somewhere, either the B or C pillar, I can't quite tell as I'm usually alone in the car. The more annoying one is in the headliner of my pano roof right above my head (if I put my hand there it stops). So close to me & prominent enough that I can still hear it while blaring music.

I've been in like 3 times to have rattles fixed I kinda feel like I'm "annoying" the service center by going in for these (for the record they've been nothing but awesome, friendly and helpful), but it makes me feel like the car is so cheap (and its definitely not cheap), its embarrassing to me when I have guests in the car :(

Speaking of which, I should make an appointment to get these new ones looked at. I take meticulous care of my car, enjoy driving it on these lovely summer days and the looks it gets ;)
But while people are shooting glances at my stealth black beauty, I'm fuming over the rattles :(

Last edited:
No issues of note on my almost exactly 1 year old 85. The charging door sticks, and has since the first time I parked in the sun. I just clean off the goop every now and again or rely on my trusty keychain bottle opener (thanks ABC Brewery in Atlanta!) to pop the seal.

Besides that, knock on matte obeche wood, nothing wrong!

Driver assistance is intermittent. When I first got the car, we spent an extra 3 hours at the pickup to get the camera replaced. Things have been great for 9 months, but now driver assistance goes on and off. Usually works in the morning, but not later in the day. But the other day, didn't work in the morning and worked for part of the drive home from work. I've got an appointment to have them look at it soon. Bad luck I guess since I don't see many complaints. Or perhaps they didn't fix the full problem on day one. Really miss it in stop and go traffic.

Although not a new car, no squeaks, no rattles, no drivetrain replacements in three years, 70K miles. I did have a charger replacement and triangle window adjust very early, a 12V battery replacement, a UMC replacement, and replaced 3G with LTE. This is similar to any other car I've had.

Reactions: calisnow
This doesn't have to be super scientific down to the nats ass. Just a general reading of how the relatively new cars are doing.

As for DU "failure", the point is to capture how many DU's Tesla deemed needing to be replaced. The semantics of what "failure" means is not important here. Tesla doesn't replace DU's just for the heck of it.
Actually, they did. There was an Elon interview in ~ early 2014 in which he stated that they were in fact replacing any and all DUs that had any and all problems so that they could bring them back to the factory and QC them. They found the most common cause of trouble was loose connecting wire. Tightened that bolt, added a locking washer to it and viola all fixed. Most of them didn't need to be replaced, but were so they could study the issue.

2016 70, picked up in January. Almost 10k on the odo now. The charging door had a bit of a mind of its own the first week but resolved itself (I think the latch was sticking when new, its fine now). Had a few minor trim issues when new, a couple parts not snapped into place correctly/completely, fixed them myself. Other than that, no issues, no service visits.

March 2016 delivery. There's a very rare vibration/rattle from the dash area, but not bad enough to hear over my music so not worth a visit.

One single visit so far because the drivers' seat is loose. There's a noticeable hitch when driving on bumpy roads or over speed bumps. I have a follow-up visit schedule for replacement.