Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for advice for Model S 2015 or 2016 P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok awesome, because I read elsewhere that if the car was ever for sale at a dealership then Tesla would recognize that and strip it of free supercharging. I read that the only real way of guaranteeing it will be preserved is through a private sale directly from the previous owner to the new owner, I guess this is not the case then?

The car has to stay away from Tesla, as long as Tesla never got their hands on it then you're good. That's the tricky part because dealerships can buy Tesla cars from auctions that have come from Tesla and therefore the FUSC is stripped.

For example, if someone trades in their 2014 S85D with FUSC to Tesla for a 2022 Plaid then Tesla will strip the FUSC from the 2014 model and if that 2014 model makes it way back out into the open market, it will no longer have FUSC.

Also keep in mind that not all older cars with FUSC will transfer. It has to be the ones with the SCO1 code.

Reactions: Raroia
The car has to stay away from Tesla, as long as Tesla never got their hands on it then you're good. That's the tricky part because dealerships can buy Tesla cars from auctions that have come from Tesla and therefore the FUSC is stripped.

For example, if someone trades in their 2014 S85D with FUSC to Tesla for a 2022 Plaid then Tesla will strip the FUSC from the 2014 model and if that 2014 model makes it way back out into the open market, it will no longer have FUSC.

Also keep in mind that not all older cars with FUSC will transfer. It has to be the ones with the SCO1 code.
Great info thanks. How can I verify the presence of the SC01 code? How can I ask a dealer to check if this code is present

Another thing to consider is that if you're using a supercharger in lieu of home charging then you're probably using superchargers in a big city.

Big city supercharger are kind of obnoxious to deal with because they tend to be the busiest. Depending on where you live you might be stuck waiting for a charger to open up. This is a much worse situation than waiting for a spot at a gas station to open up.

Most definite way to tell FUSC is by SC01 code which can only be found thru app/website of the account holder or by contacting Tesla..

P90D (and any RWD model) will have rear LDU, which is NOT reliable

Most ppl want too much for FUSC cars, so i'd be surprised if u find one for 35k, maybe if very high mileage...
AP1 maybe, AP2+ forget it... at least 50k+ for those..

This is the cheapest i've seen if 178k doesn't scare u:

Most definite way to tell FUSC is by SC01 code which can only be found thru app/website of the account holder or by contacting Tesla..

P90D (and any RWD model) will have rear LDU, which is NOT reliable

Most ppl want too much for FUSC cars, so i'd be surprised if u find one for 35k, maybe if very high mileage...
AP1 maybe, AP2+ forget it... at least 50k+ for those..

This is the cheapest i've seen if 178k doesn't scare u:
Thanks for the input, this level of info is what I am looking for. I guess then the non performance models may be preferable? Perhaps a 2016 model S 90D with SC01?

Did the 2016 model year non performance have a reliable HV battery and DU?

Thanks for the input, this level of info is what I am looking for. I guess then the non performance models may be preferable? Perhaps a 2016 model S 90D with SC01?

Did the 2016 model year non performance have a reliable HV battery and DU?
Yes on DU, on non-performance awd its 2 small DUs, aka SDU. They are oil cooled n pretty trouble free, but obviously slower cars.
Battery, i think yes but 90kwh packs V1 were having bad degradation, i think V2/V3s are ok, idk when the switch happen
V3-108* part number
V2-107*
V1-106*
So, check/request battery pack label.

I have V3 90 pack with 92kmi n 8% degradation

October-Dec 2016 is ur AP2+ models, hard to find. Also, very few of Jan-March 2017 could be with FUSC, since cut off was Jan 15 shh...

I agree with the earlier comment that supercharging (as a routine way to charge) gets old fast. When I bought my 2015 Model S new, I underestimated how long it would take (and how difficult it would be) to obtain approval to install charging at my condo. So I ended up without home charging for 11 months. Even though I was retired and did not drive all that much, sitting in the car while supercharging was less than great. I did try to make use of the time -- reading or doing some task on my laptop, etc. And sometimes I went into the Tesla showroom (the nearest superchargers are at a nearby sales/service center) and just shot the breeze with sales guys if they were not busy. (The center was much less busy in 2015 when all there was to sell was Model S than they are today.) Sometimes I walked to a nearby store to purchase something or to get a cup of tea or something.
Occasionally I was able to charge at one of the other nearby spots with free charging, either level 2 AC or DC, but there weren't many convenient spots where I had any excuse to go.
It was especially tedious in winter when strolling around was less pleasant (and when I needed charging more often because of higher energy consumption).
In retrospect, I probably was too conservative about when I charged and probably could have let the battery drop further before charging, which might have reduced the number of times I would need to charge. In truth, I think I knew a lot less about charging then (in fact I think there was less community knowledge as well). I suspect my car might have been "throttled" by Tesla for excessive DC charging because I have always had slow charging rates, but I haven't ever asked.
Bottom line, I recommend to people that they figure out how they will charge an EV before they buy one. And if possible, install the charging equipment before you get the car if that is your plan.

Reactions: paratrooper
Can anyone else comment on the reliability difference between a SDU and a LDU? Looking at 2016 model S 90D with SC01 code for FUSC after facelift, is there any reason I should specifically consider a different trim such as 85D?