Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I vote for a paid app. Better customer experience for us, and you'll be fairly compensated. If you're trying to figure out which OS to build for first, iOS here. The model s population is sufficiently large that the distribution is likely close to the market norm.

Median age is probably older, as is median income. That would suggest a bias toward apple. But we're still a fairly technical bunch, which may give a bias towards android. Who knows. Sampling on the forums would also yield a result with selection bias.

Last edited:
I would vote for tablet/phone use outside the car, for planning purposes. However, if that is done, the algorithm should closely approximate Tesla's new in-car prediction with f/w v6.1 for consistency.

I would make sure you study what Tesla has done and complement it, otherwise your wonderful efforts might soon be at odds with their internal development.

BTW, your web app has saved my butt on multiple occasions doing road trips in the hinterland!

Good point @Gwgan. Maybe get a kickstarter going for this? Seems like a lot of work pro bono to me.

As for what to build? I'm an iOS user, but also would love to see a site that is optimized for the car. Maybe something like Appcelerator as an approach to speed cross platform, starting with the web app approach? I'm not nearly as technical as most on the forum, so forgive any bad technical assumptions!

Don't forget to vote with your wallet
EV Trip Planner

But we're still a fairly technical bunch, which may give a bias towards android. Who knows. Sampling on the forums would also yield a result with selection bias.

Some of "us" (read me) are not technical, and have absolutely no idea what we are discussing here! I love the EVTripplanner website, and have used it frequently for trips out of town. A fee for whatever Ben wants to construct is fine by me.

Sometimes it might help some of us if these nifty ideas are explained at the most basic of levels without jargon.

Right now I use the web site, and take it mobile using a Surface Pro on long trips. Typically I will start supercharging, then use the planner to figure out out much charging I need to the next destination, looking ahead at the weather and so on. By the time I'm done, I usually have enough charge to go, or just enough time for a toilet break and a cup of coffee or a snack.

If the web site worked better on the iPad browser I'd probably use that instead, but the SP is quite usable.

I don't see myself trying to use a phone except to log in to look at a preplanned route to see how much charge I need for the next hop.

Lots of markets have the browser disabled, so that's probably not the way to go.

Ben,

I think Tesla should hire you and have you implement your solution into the cars navigation.

Until that happens :smile:, I vote for a phone/ipad app. It looks like you are working to support more EVs in the future, so the app will probably give you and your customers the most options.

Thank you for your creating EVTripPlanner. It is a great solution!

I've already voted with my credit card, but that was for what you've been doing with a web app. In this discussion, I think your idea of a phone-compatible web app that could eventually come into the Model S browser is the right compromise. I personally am beyond tired of having perfectly good web apps constantly badgering me to go get the iphone app. My phone is littered enough with apps that it's becoming difficult to find them, and it's a relief to have them bookmarked in a single place, i.e., a browser.

The entire idea of the WWW and browser is for things to be inherently cross platform and run on any compliant browser, and that will give you the broadest potential market and save you some of the work of supporting several OSs. There's no reason you can't have a "basic free" version and a "paid upgrade" version as many others do.

My 2¢...

Android user here.

My concern with your doing a car app is what happens when Tesla suddenly decides to change their APIs? Then you need to modify the app to make it work just to keep up with Tesla. They'll keep breaking your app and you'll constantly be reacting to their changes. As much as the idea of tying into the actual power and mileage would be cool, I think you shouldn't go that route.

If you do a ubiquitous web app, that would probably be easiest, but with the coming Model 3 and all the other EVs planned for the next several years, apps for Android and iOS could provide serious income, even if you only changed $.99 or $1.99 for it. And these are price points that absolutely nobody would balk at. Sure, make a Tesla specific app with the SuperChargers, but make it universal and you have yourself a gold mine.