Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla S and Chevy Volt Outdoor Curbside Level 2 Charging Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very slick, congratulations!

Regarding the patents, I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that in the US, you must apply for a patent within a year of making a "public disclosure" of the invention, which this forum thread probably is. Other countries are evidently more strict, and some won't allow a patent after a public disclosure.

I suspect that this design, while reasonably safe, wouldn't satisfy UL or similar standards, so it may not be something that is marketable, at least in its present form. But, by sharing the design, I'm sure you've inspired and helped your fellow EVers! :) Plus, you could potentially refine the design so that it would meet UL.

Anyway, all uninformed speculation on my part, and I'm sure your attorney will give you good information. Good luck, and again, congrats on a nice design!

Need an opinion. I'm thinking of painting the charging station a red to match my multi-coat red Model S when it's delivered in April or May. But I'm concerned that may be a bit over the top and I should stick with the green color it's now painted. Advice is welcome.

DSC_16351.JPG

Last edited:
Need an opinion. I'm thinking of painting the charging station a red to match my multi-coat red Model S when it's delivered in April or May. But I'm concerned that may be a bit over the top and I should stick with the green color it's now painted.

The green looks pretty nice, but I guess it really depends on what colour your city paints its fire hydrants. You don't want it the same colour (there may even be an ordinance). Now you and I know that it doesn't look anything like a fire hydrant, but I've never found that city enforcement officials to be that knowledgable.

Can't be hit unless the car jumps the curb and that would have to be my car, as it's curbside on my dedicated parking spaces.

Before I put in some significant rocks and a cliff, I often found tire tracks in my yard where people had jumped the curb and drove on the lawn (the tire tracks were parallel to the house). Doesn't seem to happen anymore for some reason.

Need an opinion. I'm thinking of painting the charging station a red to match my multi-coat red Model S when it's delivered in April or May. But I'm concerned that may be a bit over the top and I should stick with the green color it's now painted. Advice is welcome.

May I suggest Plasti-dip? You can change color as your mood (or new car color dictates). With Plasti-Dip you peel off the old and do over!

Artsci:

Can you provide a list of parts and where you bought them? I need to do the same thing for my Model S (coming next week!). I can find places to charge in the meantime, but need to build something just like this.

Thanks in advance. I really like it. I was just trying to figure out something like this.

Hi Artsci:

I did some research to try and work backwards from your photos and descriptions to work out the parts:
Receptacle: Hubbell HBL460R9W
Plug: HBL460P9W
Buried junction box: Orbit 7" Round Sprinkler Valve Box - 53810
4" PVC Pipe - grey, schedule 80 (thick) with associated adapters for covers/tops.
Green paint (with a well done paint job)

Did you consider using a bigger and heavier buried box instead of the 7" plastic one from irrigation systems? Hubbell makes a metal back box (BB602W) that is mostly water tight, connects directly to the receptacle and has a 1 1/2" opening at the bottom for electric steel pipes being fed to the box. That should mitigate or solve the flooding issue. It would also be far more stable in the ground as a base.

Impressive that you figured all of this out. The Hubbell plug I used is 4100P9W which is rated for 250V and 100 amps. I got the matching receptacle. Of course that's way more than enough for the Volt, but I wanted that capacity in the event I installed the HPWC for the Model S. In fact I have an estimate from Solar City to upgrade the line to 100 amps (it's now 50).

I did use 4" PVC pipe. You have the junction box correct. But I jerry-rigged the waterproofing of the electrical connections. That was a real pain to be honest.

Solar City is including an upgrade to a concrete enclosed waterproof junction box that will accommodate the Hubbell Receptacle. My next project is to design and build a larger diameter charging station that's big enough to accommodate the Universal Connector and the HPWC, if I decide to get it, and their respective cords inside. It will have a locked, hinged door as in this example: http://assets.rolecserv.com/files/products/bfdc3fccac2d380fbef6fc1e385bad68/original.png

Last edited: