Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Options Essentially Raised my Config by $3,800 :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woah. What's going on with the sound package? $2500? How could they possibly come up with such an expensive sound system?

Personally I think they improved it by upgrading components like the speakers and also doing software tuning. Overall, they're trying to fix a weak option people have complained about to make it more competitive with other luxury car premium audio systems.

That's my assumption but others are assuming it's the same sound system as before with some software tuning.

We'll have to wait for more info on this.

Personally I think they improved it by upgrading components like the speakers and also doing software tuning. Overall, they're trying to fix a weak option people have complained about to make it more competitive with other luxury car premium audio systems.

That's my assumption but others are assuming it's the same sound system as before with some software tuning.

We'll have to wait for more info on this.

Is it possible the sound system is the same, but perhaps software tweaked? Noticing they don't provide any other options over the base system now... and many other options have been priced up now.

My config of car is now $9300 more (backing out 1200 for the builtin HPWC), from my 2012 pricing.

If you notice, Elon often makes references and comparisons to Porsche as a standard bearer, especially their business model. Apparently, Tesla is now pricing their cars like Porsche. A base with minimal options, and adding everything a la carte. Porsche has done well for itself, so I understand what Tesla is trying to do. Hopefully, the extra $15,000 for a loaded performance model won't turn away buyers. But a loaded Panamera GTS comes around the same price. So its probably fair.

They really need to put in better sport bucket seats though. That's one thing they need to learn from Porsche.

Not an owner here mainly because there are too many things that aren't comparable to the premium price point. The seats are a joke at $80k+. I could care less about parking sensors and folding mirrors but seats are really important. The 20 way adjustable BMW seats were amazing back on my 2005 5 series.

The stereo price is acceptable and comparable to the market if it is a good system. It probably will turn a lot of people off and it is a high profit margin item. Talked about getting killed on resale also. I don't know much about the specs of the base and upgraded but BMW added subs under the seats for a lot less money (in addition to other improvements).

Expensive options are common in the segment but they also turn off a lot of borderline buyers.

Yep. If i reconfigured my P85 with today's design studio, an apples to apples comparison to today's price with the same features would now be $114920 which is $11732 higher than what I paid. If I had opted for the free 21" tires and rear facing child seats, it would have been another $5500 on top of that. P85's just got a crapload more expensive!! That sucks for all people wanting to buy a new P85! They may have just been priced out of the market and have to settle for standard 85 now. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

bad for new buyers, good for the ones who already bought as it increases resale value.... Nissan did the same thing with the GT-R, kept bumping up the price... started at $74k when it came out in 2009 and now they are $100k...

Yep. If i reconfigured my P85 with today's design studio, an apples to apples comparison to today's price with the same features would now be $114920 which is $11732 higher than what I paid. If I had opted for the free 21" tires and rear facing child seats, it would have been another $5500 on top of that. P85's just got a crapload more expensive!! That sucks for all people wanting to buy a new P85! They may have just been priced out of the market and have to settle for standard 85 now. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The mistake is not lowering the base price when moving all the standard items into options. The lower base price gives them the ability to pull people in and allow people to build as they wish and price a config as they wish. And of course it makes the costs pre- and post- somewhat comparable and understandable. (I think it would be fine it they resulted in a reasonable increase. 10-15% is not reasonable IMO. Think about how much messaging they did when the last across-the-board increase was done. These changes were done in the middle of the night with no advance notice or any coordinating communication.) That's the Porsche model. it makes the cars seem reachable (and they are if you go base), but get pricier as you option them out to what you'd really want. But at least people will look.

E.g. if they kept everything as they have it now, but dropped, say 2.5% off each config's base price, I think that would have been reasonable.

Have people noticed that both xenon headlights and HD backup camera, which were previously part of the tech package, are now standard features (see spec page)?

I noticed. If you are buying a basic 60, you no longer need to get the tech package to have these options. To me, TM has made the basic package a better deal, and the more elaborate models much more expensive (a la Porsche).

In Canada anyway, the leather seats are still standard. So, in the end for $78k you can get a car with xenons, leather and performance!

The mistake is not lowering the base price when moving all the standard items into options.
As long as demand outperforms supply, how can that be a mistake? It would be a mistake NOT to do what they just did. As someone else said already, they should aim at getting as much profit as they can get from the limited number of cars they can produce. That'll bring us closer to Gen III.

I think this is one Tesla will have to adjust shortly. There are too many cases, like yours; people who already have a HPWC, etc. forcing something onto people that's likely to wind up in landfill seems completely against what the company is all about.

I'm pretty sure the HPWCs would sell easily at $950 or so. No need to throw it away if you don't need it, plenty of people want one (even if the only have a single charger). At ~$300 more than an extra UMC I think a lot of people would go with the HPWC because it looks better on the wall ;)

If you have to put 12 speakers in your car to get decent sound, then you might be using the wrong speakers. You can build a really good aftermarket system for $1000. Just for kicks, I decided to see how much money I could spend if I wanted to build a really expensive high power high quality system. Note that I don't have to include the head unit, because the upgraded sound package doesn't include an upgraded stereo; just upgraded sound.

I went over to Crutchfield, and didn't spend a ton of time on it, but just a quick look see. As an expensive baseline, I chose reasonably high end Rockford Fosgate and Kicker equipment. Here is what it came out to:

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X5 5 channel amplifier, 75W RMS x 4, 500W x 1, $700
Kicker 40DCWS122, 2 12" subs with enclosure, 600W RMS, $300
Rockford Fosgate PPS8-6 6.75" midrange speakers x4, $90 x 4 = $360
Rockford Fosgate PP4-T 1.5" tweeters x4, $100 x x = $400
Wiring and supplies, lets say $200

Total cost: $1960.

And that was throwing money away on really high end expensive equipment, 10 speakers total, and I guarantee you it would be high quality sound that could literally shake the car apart. And I could still spend another $500 and still be cheaper than the new upgraded sound system.

This tells me Tesla could still make $500 profit installing high end Rockford Fosgate and Kicker equipment, 4 high end tweeters, 4 high end midrange speakers, 2 12" subwoofers, a high power 5 channel amplifier, while paying retail prices on the parts.

I can understand a little bit of extra cost to come up with sub enclosures that are integrated nicely into the car and not just dropped in the trunk.

I guarantee you someone is making a HUGE profit on the sound package. If it's not Tesla ripping off the consumer, then it's one of their suppliers ripping off Tesla.

Last edited: