Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Options Essentially Raised my Config by $3,800 :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have to put 12 speakers in your car to get decent sound, then you might be using the wrong speakers.

This is the checkbox mentality. Unfortunately, many folks purchase items using a checkbox count, with the more boxes checked the better the product must be--regardless of the quality of each checkbox item. The end result is bloated products and bloated prices (and it's far too easy to fall into the checkbox mentality--I'm guilt of it myself).

As long as demand outperforms supply, how can that be a mistake?
It depends on your goals.

If the goal is maximizing payout for the demand you actually satisfy, raising prices is optimal producer behavior.

If your goal is to attract and build value-for-money brand loyalty, not so much.

If your goal is to make the EV available to the masses (which is not the goal for Model S or Model X), then also not so much (but not a concern for S or X).

There's also the possibility that many/most/all of their components have gone up in price and they're just adjusting to maintain a desired profit margin. I suspect this is not the case, but I don't have any data either way.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the checkbox mentality. Unfortunately, many folks purchase items using a checkbox count, with the more boxes checked the better the product must be--regardless of the quality of each checkbox item. The end result is bloated products and bloated prices (and it's far too easy to fall into the checkbox mentality--I'm guilt of it myself).
This sounds like it would work well in the China market, based on some recent posts in other threads.