Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerated Delivery Options and Impact of Price Increases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't quite understand the randomness of the accelerated delivery option (ADO) that occasionally appears on the manage order in the account portion of the website. It appears at random times for me and doesn't reflect all the inventory options on the website. Sometimes the ADO will not show when there is inventory. Sometimes it will show 1 MYAWD when the inventory shows 5 or 6. On the rare occasion when there are MYLR available in local inventory to select, sometimes the option is there and only shows one car even if there is more than one MYLR available.

I realize I can just ignore the ADO but that option seems the most immediate way to select another car for faster delivery without a new order. Sure I could text my SA or call or stop by the local showroom for help but sometimes the inventory, especially MYLR, is gone in minutes. So the quickest way to act would be the ADO if you could select from the full inventory in your area.

Does anyone know how to show more inventory as accelerated delivery options or is it just random?

Also, with the $1,500 in MYLR price increases since I placed my order on 2/3, it is confusing as to which price I would pay if I selected an ADO car. I know if I place a new order from inventory then it would be at the current price. I know that if I edit my order design (no VIN yet) then the 2/3 pricing would be honored but I would lose my place in line and have a longer wait.

For example, today at 3:30pm, a MYLR MSM19 with tow option showed available as an ADO. I checked the inventory site and there were two MYLR MSM19 available in my area - one with tow option (the ADO) and one without (not showing as ADO). The ADO showed a price of $56,990 for the MYLR MSM19 with tow and that it was $1,000 less than my MYP MSM order (originally ordered MYP to get car sooner than MYLR). It should be $2,500 less based on the $1,500 price increase in MYLR since 2/3. I didn't want to select it and lose the $1,500 discount so I texted the SA text line about the car (and still haven't gotten a text back). I also called the local Tesla number and after 30 minutes on hold a SA in a call center an hour away said the car was out of inventory.

I still asked the call center SA about swapping cars and pricing and they told me that the car would not be discounted back to 2/3 prices - it would only be sold at the current price. But later I got a different response when I stopped by the showroom. The showroom SA told me that had I selected the ADO that the car would first appear at the current price but would later get discounted by $1,500 prior to delivery once it was associated with my account. The SA indicated the result would be the same if I selected ADO or if a SA did the swap for me. Given the randomness of the ADO, I would need the SA to help to select from the full inventory assuming I can get in touch with one fast enough.

While this last SA seemed knowleagable about all things Tesla, I hesitate on selecting the ADO and potentially losing the 2/3 pricing without some additional assurance. Does anyone have insight into how price increases are taken into account when selecting an ADO or having your SA change your order to an inventory car?

Are you sure the vehicles that show up as accelerated delivery are actually Model Y LR?

Often it seems like those are Model Y AWD (Not LR) with 279 miles range.

If you want an inventory car and they have inventory, why not just buy and inventory car?

Are you sure the vehicles that show up as accelerated delivery are actually Model Y LR?

Often it seems like those are Model Y AWD (Not LR) with 279 miles range.

If you want an inventory car and they have inventory, why not just buy and inventory car?
Yes, they have actually been MYLR that show up as options - they've been rare but there have been a few.

I realize I could just buy the inventory car but pricing has gone up $1,500 since I placed my original order and I am trying to keep that savings if possible. And even if I couldn't keep the savings then I could at least avoid another $250 order fee.

I just checked local inventory and there are 5 MYAWD at my closest store and 2 MYLR as the location about 25 miles from me. None of these are showing as ADO options now. So if I wanted one, I would have to separately order as there is no way I am getting a SA to respond at this time.

My SA told me he could move me to any matching car of the same model and version (so LR, not Performance, and 5 seat not 7) that was instock and I my price would not change aside from anything unique like color change or etc.

Don't wanta me that guy, but it seems like you need a different SA.

My SA told me he could move me to any matching car of the same model and version (so LR, not Performance, and 5 seat not 7) that was instock and I my price would not change aside from anything unique like color change or etc.

Don't wanta me that guy, but it seems like you need a different SA.

Interesting. Your SA says it depends on the options while I had one say the lower price won't move to any inventory car and another say the price will adjust after the car is associated with my account (he didn't qualify that based on options and I specifically talked to him about switching from MYP to MYLR). It seems they are all talking from their own experience without knowing what is fully possible based on a policy they can point to.

Since you mentioned getting another SA, not sure how it's handled in your area, but I am not assigned to a specific person. The text line is staffed by a group of SAs in the call center, the same folks that handle the incoming phone calls. That's what the call center SA explained to me - they are based out of Orlando. At my local Tampa showroom, when I ask who to speak to about my order, they all say any of them will handle it. None of them say that I should talk to Joe or whoever that's attached to my order.

I was told from multiple SAs that swapping an older reservation with a current inventory car (that is priced different) is not doable. I went through a similar situation last year when I would see MYLRs pop into inventory, then I call my SA and they said, "you can buy that one but at the price listed". That being said, this was last year, so internal policies may have changed.

Reactions: thefisch
I spoke to another SA today at the showroom who shared they had helped a customer earlier today swap into an in transit MYLR and it could only be done at the current price. The customer was fine with paying more because they were getting the car much sooner and avoided another $250 order fee. So their advice was to just place a new order because they are not always available to help make a swap.

It seems Tesla has another customer service problem on their hands: NO ONE HAS THE SAME answer. My SA is calling me every other day with options. Cars to trade to, black/black, Grey/white but know he knows I only want Blue/black or Red/black. He said if I get a red, I only have to pay the 1K for extra color otherwise it's the same price for my ordered car on 1/22. Today he offered me a blue/black with 20" but I was hesitant and to punish me Tesla moved my delivery date from 3/21-3/31 to 4/21-5/21.....I have emailed my SA to see if they still have the blue/black with 20" available.

It seems Tesla has another customer service problem on their hands: NO ONE HAS THE SAME answer. My SA is calling me every other day with options. Cars to trade to, black/black, Grey/white but know he knows I only want Blue/black or Red/black. He said if I get a red, I only have to pay the 1K for extra color otherwise it's the same price for my ordered car on 1/22. Today he offered me a blue/black with 20" but I was hesitant and to punish me Tesla moved my delivery date from 3/21-3/31 to 4/21-5/21.....I have emailed my SA to see if they still have the blue/black with 20" available.
Maybe your SA has seen the price adjust after swapping cars and the others I spoke to haven't At least they're saying that's possible and hopefully you're getting that in writing via text or email. And it's good they're helping move you into a car sooner given the pushed out EDD.

Actually I am surprised to hear they are actively helping you get into a car sooner. My SA never reached out to me after ordering. I only got the robot texts that were generic reminders of steps in the process. Any texts I sent were ignored in the period after ordering until the VIN was assigned. I would go by the showroom and talk to a SA but they all just told me nothing else happens until a VIN is assigned. I learned from this forum about swapping out for inventory cars but if I called or texted when a suitable car showed available I got no response. I was thinking I'd have to camp out at the showroom and flag someone down if waitingfortesla showed one available.

I don't quite understand the randomness of the accelerated delivery option (ADO) that occasionally appears on the manage order in the account portion of the website. It appears at random times for me and doesn't reflect all the inventory options on the website. Sometimes the ADO will not show when there is inventory. Sometimes it will show 1 MYAWD when the inventory shows 5 or 6. On the rare occasion when there are MYLR available in local inventory to select, sometimes the option is there and only shows one car even if there is more than one MYLR available.

I realize I can just ignore the ADO but that option seems the most immediate way to select another car for faster delivery without a new order. Sure I could text my SA or call or stop by the local showroom for help but sometimes the inventory, especially MYLR, is gone in minutes. So the quickest way to act would be the ADO if you could select from the full inventory in your area.

Does anyone know how to show more inventory as accelerated delivery options or is it just random?

Also, with the $1,500 in MYLR price increases since I placed my order on 2/3, it is confusing as to which price I would pay if I selected an ADO car. I know if I place a new order from inventory then it would be at the current price. I know that if I edit my order design (no VIN yet) then the 2/3 pricing would be honored but I would lose my place in line and have a longer wait.

For example, today at 3:30pm, a MYLR MSM19 with tow option showed available as an ADO. I checked the inventory site and there were two MYLR MSM19 available in my area - one with tow option (the ADO) and one without (not showing as ADO). The ADO showed a price of $56,990 for the MYLR MSM19 with tow and that it was $1,000 less than my MYP MSM order (originally ordered MYP to get car sooner than MYLR). It should be $2,500 less based on the $1,500 price increase in MYLR since 2/3. I didn't want to select it and lose the $1,500 discount so I texted the SA text line about the car (and still haven't gotten a text back). I also called the local Tesla number and after 30 minutes on hold a SA in a call center an hour away said the car was out of inventory.

I still asked the call center SA about swapping cars and pricing and they told me that the car would not be discounted back to 2/3 prices - it would only be sold at the current price. But later I got a different response when I stopped by the showroom. The showroom SA told me that had I selected the ADO that the car would first appear at the current price but would later get discounted by $1,500 prior to delivery once it was associated with my account. The SA indicated the result would be the same if I selected ADO or if a SA did the swap for me. Given the randomness of the ADO, I would need the SA to help to select from the full inventory assuming I can get in touch with one fast enough.

While this last SA seemed knowleagable about all things Tesla, I hesitate on selecting the ADO and potentially losing the 2/3 pricing without some additional assurance. Does anyone have insight into how price increases are taken into account when selecting an ADO or having your SA change your order to an inventory car?
What does the ADO option look like or where on the page is it specifically, either desktop or app? I have seen a few vehicles show up in inventory similar to my order but I don't recall seeing anything different on my Manage Order page. I am still looking at a 6-12 week EDD. Even if I had to pay the higher price, it might be worth it to lock in the full tax credit.

What does the ADO option look like or where on the page is it specifically, either desktop or app? I have seen a few vehicles show up in inventory similar to my order but I don't recall seeing anything different on my Manage Order page. I am still looking at a 6-12 week EDD. Even if I had to pay the higher price, it might be worth it to lock in the full tax credit.
I recall it was on the website where you can manage your order near where your EDD shows. It would only appear when they were making an option available. Honestly, it was so hit or miss you're better off joining the discord or searching waitingfortesla and then going to a showroom to grab a SA when one is available. At least they can tell you when the car is expected to arrive before you select it.