Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think about it, the government wouldn't pay for a L3 charger which most EVs can't use.

Agreed, but only because governments think short-term. Tesla has already cornered upwards of 60% of the EV market. In 5 or 10 years that could bump up to 75 or 80% and other companies may opt to use their open charging standard (the best one, by far, of those presently available).

Agreed, but only because governments think short-term. Tesla has already cornered upwards of 60% of the EV market. In 5 or 10 years that could bump up to 75 or 80% and other companies may opt to use their open charging standard (the best one, by far, of those presently available).
I always get the impression that the mainstream auto manufacturers are being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. They'd rather do anything else but make EVs.

Last edited:
I guess that's true. I wish motor superchargers would be put in place. The one thing that I can't seem to get over, is the need to wait for my car to Charge.

We just got back from a trip to Newfoundland...waiting for your car to Supercharge is easy...by the time you hit the washroom and get a new cup of coffee, you have all you need to get to the next Supercharger...try waiting for enough Level 2 charge to get through New Brunswick...now that is hard... ;-)

In the next few years we will transition to Ev's with larger batteries, making L2 charging not relevant, except for destination charging. This should be taken into account when planning these new locations. Really it should be L3 unless at a parking lot, hotel, or other attraction with a minimum 3 hour stay.

Even the 50kw L3 that we will be getting in Ontario is really only a desperation charger. With a 90kw Tesla you're looking at half of a charge in in nearly an hour. I do applaud Ontario's effort; it's one of the few good things that this government has done. But they should have mandated L3s at 100kw.

At a minimum they should have mandated that the power distribution to the charger units be capable of 100 kw so that the charger pedestals could easily be swapped out at some point.
At the same time, we can agree that it's crazy each fast charging location has, in most cases, no redundancy for chargers. So it goes without saying that the job is not truly done. But it's a great step forward, and gives us good value and good geographic coverage in the mean time.

Tesla has about 35% of the Canadian EV market (not including plug-in hybrids). I'm not hating; diversity is a good thing.

Plug-in electric car sales in Canada, June 2016: volte-face for the Volt

2016 sales as of end of June are as follows:

Code:
Model S  639 36%
Leaf     617 35%
Soul EV  250 14%
Others   261 15%
Total   1767 100%

One of the conditions for funding was that they rough-in enough capacity to allow for higher power chargers in the future. Although I don't know what the expectation for capacity was.

Even the 50kw L3 that we will be getting in Ontario is really only a desperation charger. With a 90kw Tesla you're looking at half of a charge in in nearly an hour. I do applaud Ontario's effort; it's one of the few good things that this government has done. But they should have mandated L3s at 100kw.

On our recent trip, I found the 50 kw L3 (in Quebec) to be very satisfactory, when compared with the 27kw L3 in Truro, N.S....and even the Truro L3 beat the H out of the only available L2's in New Brunswick.

If you plan your route (on a long range trip) well enough, you adjust your expectations to fit the available charging infrastructure.

It all works out well in the end, you just have to know what to expect...can't beat a 4,000 km trip at an energy cost of $24.95! :)

Reactions: SmartElectric
...can't beat a 4,000 km trip at an energy cost of $24.95! :)

How about a 10,000 km trip to BC and back with $ 0.00 energy cost.

The planned Ontario chargers might be fine with the present EV population but in a few years there will be queues waiting to get their turn at the single or at most double chargers. Already on Friday evenings I have encountered 4 Teslas charging at the Barrie Supercharger.

Reactions: Jaff
At the same time, we can agree that it's crazy each fast charging location has, in most cases, no redundancy for chargers. So it goes without saying that the job is not truly done. But it's a great step forward, and gives us good value and good geographic coverage in the mean time.

I agree with this of course. It's certainly better than what we have right now. It's just a bit of a lost opportunity. EV adoption will be driven by the experience that those people who are new to the technology have - either as passengers or even just through word of mouth.

50kw will lead to long waits, frustration and a negative experience. Even 120kw is not ideal either but it's vastly more tolerable.