Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New IOS Supercharger App For Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4) Android and WinMobile - Looking at Android, a bit more complicated to do on the QR side. WinMobile, probably not enough adoption yet.

I'd like to see this on Windows Phone (it hasn't been called Windows Mobile for several years now). There are quite a few people using third-party Tesla apps for WP because Tesla hasn't made one yet. I'm sure we'd all love to see this app! :)

Lots of replies. Let me see if I can answer all the questions:

2) Why not leave your cell number? I, personally don't like leaving a unique identifier like a phone number around, way too easy for someone to find out where I live, where I work, etc..

Just get Google Voice and forward it to your cellphone. That puts a firewall between your actual number and what gets made "public".

I have seen the same system at my work working for quite time since there are a lot of leafs here and few L2 chargers, the app is available on WP for the leafs, I may send a PM to LithionSD to incorporate the same logic to Tesla Companion for the WP, so we can generate the same codes.

@LithionSD: Thanks for creating this great app! Seems like it would be very useful. Looking forward to using it.

I hope you don't mind... :biggrin: We made some minor design modifications and shrank it to a ~5.5" x 7" size card.

SCQueueQR (TMC).png

My suggestions:

1. Rather than be tesla specific, I think your app is applicable to all EVs. I would consider rebranding it.

2. The QR code is huge. Yes this makes it easier to scan, but because it's so large it's unlikely that someone will permanently affix it to their dash. A smaller version that could be laminated or ordered as a decal/sticker would encourage people to affix it to the glass, increasing the odds of people using it. Right now mine is in the glovebox. Will i remember to pull it out?

3. The sticker/decal idea could be how you make a little money on this. I'm sure you could partner with someone who makes decals and mark it up 20%.

When I took delivery of my MS they gave me the "Zero Emissions" plastic license plate. I printed out my cell number and short message and taped it on the bottom. It's easy to keep it between or under the seat and toss on the dash as needed. I can now just add the QR code to it also. Very handy and durable.

Hey everyone. Thanks again for all the feedback. One of the features on the list is to have an option for a smaller print design (large index card sized). I also wanted to let everyone know that I'm likely going to forego the 1.2 "simple check-in" release I mentioned earlier in favor of devoting the time to the 2.0 version which will have the ability to poll the car's charge state and status. Progress on that is coming along well and I finished a proof of concept for polling and controlling the car from iOS last night (basically just does what the Tesla app does without the fancy UI). I'll be open sourcing that library soon for those interested in programming their own projects.

My wife found a bug with the app. The iPhone's flash light does not work (shuts off if already on or doesn't turn on at all) when the SuperChargerQR app is being used. This is a problem when trying to scan the QR code at night or in low light conditions.

Hey good job!

Will gladly help you connect this to SMS and voice so people can leave the laminate on their car and have an alternate phone/SMS to call to a central number and thus preserve the drivers anonymity; and neither arriving driver or the parked one Require a smartphone (other than for convenience of not typing in a n digit code) - DM me if interested

Finishing up testing on version 2.0 currently which will indeed include the ability to check the charging status of the vehicle associated to the code being scanned. There will be a new "Settings" icon on the bottom which contains a UI for entering your Tesla account credentials. I found a rather unique way of doing the charge status check that doesn't require storing the Tesla credentials on any server. They are stored securely in the encrypted keychain on your iOS device and nowhere else.
There are a few other small features based on everyones feedback but the last thing on my list for this release is the ability to choose which car on your account you are checking in if you have multiple MS's. I consider myself lucky to have 1 so I'm not complaining, but I really could use someone who has two as a beta tester.