Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Delivery Process Coming w/Model 3 Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They'll probably utilize mobile pop-up shops nearby existing SC locations.

tesla-pop-up-store.jpg

First time I've heard of that. Does is roll backwards like a stick shift does (aka a LOT on steep hills) until you pop it into gear? Since with a stick you're essentially in neutral until you put it into first and it takes a little bit of time to get it going. With an automatic it always wants to go forward a bit so it doesn't slide backwards when you take your foot off the brake.

Used to drive a stick all the time, then I moved to Seattle, that got old quick! At any rate you got me curious, as I just took it for granted it would act like an automatic in this way.

Consider it like a stick, except without your input about whether the clutch is engaged or not. Essentially, if you aren't pressing on the accelerator and are either stopped or slowly moving without a foot on the brakes, there is nothing to prevent any rolling. You can toggle a switch (under settings) to allow it to drawl forward like an ICE automatic, but most people leave it off in order to maximize efficiency. If you press down a bit more solidly, you can have the brakes stay engaged without keeping your foot on it - just press the accelerator or brakes to disengage. I've caught myself rolling a couple of times, not really aware of a slight slope. The higher pressure tires with low resistance allows the rolling to go unnoticed.

In the end, if you've driven a manual, you'll be fine - it's a learned process you've already mastered. You will be able to balance the accelerator against the slope after a little practice as much as you can for a manual or an automatic. You may have to practice a little bit to ensure you don't accidentally roll back. For those who have only driven automatics, it's something to note and to keep in mind.

In 2013 I bought a chevy volt with cash and it still took 2 hours to get through all the paperwork, on star setup, yada yada. I couldn't believe it.

My S delivery was about 30 minutes. 1 minute to sign, 2 minutes for pictures, 27 minutes for walk through of features.

5 minutes, I don't get it. How are you going to sneak in a 3 grand undercoating if you don't have them sign 400 pages of documents over the course of 4 hours in an uncomfortable chair in a chaotic sales room while being bounced between 8 people only to find out the 1st page you signed was done wrong and you have to start over.

Elon said that he wants to give priority to owners of the earlier cars. This would cut down the delivery time by a considerable amount.

I had a 15 delivery time, and was pretty good to go. Knew how to plug it in, shift the transmission, navigate the screen. Pretty much had a handle on it. He said the learning curve is steep, but also pretty short.

The car pretty much explains itself as you drive. Entered my destination and the car told me where to stop for supercharging, the road to take, the time it expected to arrive, the length of time necessary to charge up enough to get to the next supercharger, and did rolling updates every so often until we got to our destination. It is pretty intuitive and intelligent. It had me pretty much trained by the time I got back to San Diego.

Elon pushes his human talent as much as he pushes his robots and IT.

A quick delivery, and out on the open road could be the best way to learn about your new Tesla in it's natural habitat.

Why not have 3 choices: 1. Just give me the keys, I have been on all the forums, watched every conceivable video on YouTube, and know more than you (5 minutes). 2. I filled out all my paper work and watched all the Tesla official videos on line, but still have a few questions (30 minutes). 3. I bought it because it's cute and I liked the color. Show me how to use the radio, and where I put in the gas, so i can blame you later when I crash it (1 hour).

Even if I got a test drive in a demo M3, I will still want to drive my M3 before accepting delivery. I want to go over a few bumps, accelerate to freeway speed, test out the brakes, and generally make sure all is well. Not to mention a walkaround to inspect fit and finish. I'm thinking 30 to 45 minutes total.

Given a choice, I'd just go pick mine up at the local service center. Don't need it delivered, will take time out of my day to go fetch it. Just need a quick look around to see if anything obvious that the service center should take care of before I take it home.
I know the SC will take care of me if I find anything wrong with it while it is under warranty, so no worries.

Living in Utah, Tesla isn't allowed to sell direct here. When we bought our X, all the paperwork was done ahead of time and Fedexed to California. Delivery was a snap. Literally one piece of paper to sign "car received, nothing on the due bill." We had about a 45 minute walkthrough, but that was mostly for my wife's benefit. I spent maybe 5 minutes inspecting the car. 5 minutes is a long time if all you're doing is looking close at most nooks and seams, but not actually taking anything apart. So yeah, when my 3 comes I hope to be in and out in under 15 minutes for everything. 5 minutes seems a little aggressive for an average.

Right now I'm not much concerned about them saying delivery will take five minutes.
  1. The car is supposed to be available at their showrooms before they actually start putting them in people's hands. That should give people time to spend sitting in the car and test driving so they can get used to it. Now folks who don't have a showroom close by won't have that luxury.
  2. I sincerely doubt that anyone will take 5 minutes for the delivery. It could take that long to walk out to the car.
  3. If they send videos ahead of time, most everyone should be familiar with the overall functioning of the car.
  4. I ain't buying if I don't see and drive the car first. There are a lot of things I might buy sight unseen, but a Model 3 is not one of them.

My opinion... Long term, reducing to 5 minutes (or however short) is a fine goal. Let the cars deliver themselves, or have them dropped (gently) by drone. I don't care.

But the short term is critical for the long term support of the brand. The emphasis during delivery should be on building a rapport with the customer, and that takes two things: elimination of the annoying process bits of buying a car, and spending actual "quality time" with the sales and support team during that delivery event. It looks like they're putting the right pieces in place for the first part; I just hope they haven't forgotten the second.

5 minutes isn't the objective. It is the enabler. Once the target customer base is familiar with the Tesla brand, the time can be shortened. But since the Model 3 is aiming at a new customer, by definition they aren't there yet.

Given a choice, I'd just go pick mine up at the local service center. Don't need it delivered, will take time out of my day to go fetch it. Just need a quick look around to see if anything obvious that the service center should take care of before I take it home.
I know the SC will take care of me if I find anything wrong with it while it is under warranty, so no worries.

I don't think you're going to get the full Service Center experience with the 3. I don't think you'll get the choice. The numbers just don't work in the alleged volumes. You won't be able to get it at the factory, either for the same reasons. EM is already sending you hints. Instruction videos means no one is going to put a bow on it, and hold your hand while you pair your smartphone.

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk details the 5 minute delivery process, paperwork & instruction videos to be sent ahead of time

We're going to get the Amazon/UPS experience:

Reserve online.
Configure online.
Order online.
Pay online.
Accept online.
Download final paperwork online.
Report delivery issues online.

Your car will go to a regional staging center, where it will be cleaned up, and prepped "assembly line" style by minimum wage, temp workers. It will be cross docked, and a final mile car carrier will bring your car to your driveway, pre-charged, and drop it. No white glove service. If you have issues, you'll need to make an appt. at the closest SvC center. Damage will be between you and the carrier.

These cars will be delivered more like refrigerators, not cars.

But the short term is critical for the long term support of the brand. The emphasis during delivery should be on building a rapport with the customer, and that takes two things: elimination of the annoying process bits of buying a car, and spending actual "quality time" with the sales and support team during that delivery event.

You're only delivery rapport is going to be with a truck driver, when he drops it your driveway.....

What do you expect for $35K?