Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Delivery Process Coming w/Model 3 Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't care how long we(model 3 reservation holders) hang around their store. If anything, they will encourage us on our happy day of picking up our car to stick around with big smiles, eat our cookies, drink coffee and check out what else is in the store while potential costumers are coming into the store possibly for the first time. Tesla doesn't want their staff having to hold our hands for 1 hour in order to take delivery of a vehicle. I would guess that they will schedule truck loads or train loads of pickups for the same day and have their employees prep the cars for pickup and only needing 5 minutes per car in order to talk with the customer and answer any questions AFTER the reservation holders do their own inspection.

Not sure how it works in Europe, and I suspect Tesla is a little different than most other OEMs, but what you've just described is what American dealers thrive off of in their showrooms.....when someone buys a car and is all happy, they honk horns and ring bells so that the perspective buyers in the room want that "good" feeling too.

Tesla's approach is probably slightly different, but the same desired effect is achieved.

They play off of the human "fear of missing out".

I do have faith that Tesla will do it right, which is why I don't think they'll do all of the deliveries this way.

Drop shipping your car, pre-prepped with good QA, communication, and availability of information would also be considered "doing it right". Skip the childish theatrics of a "showroom" delivery. It's a cheesy, pointless relic. If EM wants to innovate, continue to innovate this part of the process as well.

Now, this assumes they can get QA where it needs to be. It's a big assumption.

Sounds like scratches and dings (and maybe a few other things that slip my mind) are what we should be noting down before leaving the service center.

Misalignment and other issues can't really be caused by the owners, can they?

I'd think a car as advanced as a Tesla would be able to register an "event" that could cause a misalignment. (pothole strike, minor accident, etc).

Of course, that implies that Tesla would even share that data (or lack of data) with you. I'd hope they wouldn't just blame you and not honor the warranty.

Reactions: internalaudit
I personally would want some time with the car before signing on the dotted line. Yes they might be able to fix the car but if it creaks and rattles and all that good stuff on day 1 I might have issues taking delivery. My parents have had cars that never have had all the issues resolved and I know of another person with a newer Toyota and it vibrates really bad at freeway speeds. After multiple trips Toyota has declared that it is "Normal" and they refuse to work on it any further.

I know Tesla has good intentions to get cars fixed but if my car has a major issue that I find on day 1 then I would want it fixed before I take delivery. I don't want a car that will take multiple trips to the service center to "try" to fix until it is resolved. Especially a new car that the service center is not used to repairing. I personally wouldn't be 'OK' with a car that was drop shipped and I had no opportunity to drive before signing.

Does Tesla allow someone to drive their model S or X on a loop drive for a few minutes before signing? I never thought about this but to me it is something they should allow. This isn't a game that dealerships play. One benefit to buying a car off the lot is you can test drive it and listen for squeaks and rattles or other problems before taking the car in possession. In addition you have the ability to drive another car of the same model to determine if it has the same "characteristics".

I really do appreciate that they are trying to streamline the delivery process. There are games that are played at the dealership I won't mind getting rid of. Especially the finance guy trying to sell me gap coverage on a car I paid for with a check (yes that happened to me once).

Anyway if Tesla wants to streamline something that would be acceptable to me I would propose the following...

1. Make an appointment for me to sign papers at a certain time.
2. Send me the info I need (videos/paperwork/etc...) in advance.
3. Invite me to show up in advance of scheduled time.
4. Have my car detailed and ready so I can look it over on my timing.
5. Hand me the keys so I can take a 10 to 20 minute test drive prior to signing.
6. When I am satisfied with the car allow me to sign and note down at that time anything required on the due bill.

This way the time to Tesla can still be around 5 minutes but it allows me as much time as I want before that 5 minute window to analyze the car and see if I have any concerns I can bring up during my 5 minute window.

That's a good way to create a lot of CPO's for a few tire kickers among the 400k reservists.

I hear you but with the permutations, it will be hard to find exactly the same one and of course, the cars left with Tesla because of issues will be the same cars most of us will be avoiding to take up anyway until all issues had been resolved.

I also read about rattling noises where dealerships will just say it's normal. We have to contact head office to get stuff looked at. Dealerships will try to squeal away from troubleshooting something that may end up costing them more.

Anyone know what the maximum distance on the odometer when we can refuse the delivery/signing? Does that vary from state to state?

I wonder if they considered "group pick up."

Basically a number of people (let's say 20) are scheduled to pick up their car at a given day and time.
The store could then hold a group walk through of the car, and give everyone 15-20 minutes to go check their cars and short drive.
People that are happy and don't have questions can sign and drive off.
People with issues and questions could stay back to get them resolved.

Whole process could take about 100 minutes.
Which still achieves the 5-minutes per buyer target but still give everyone the walk-through they want.
In addition it gives new owners a bit of social time to bond and maybe make new friends.

Reactions: bonnie
I wonder if they considered "group pick up."

Basically a number of people (let's say 20) are scheduled to pick up their car at a given day and time.
The store could then hold a group walk through of the car, and give everyone 15-20 minutes to go check their cars and short drive.
People that are happy and don't have questions can sign and drive off.
People with issues and questions could stay back to get them resolved.

Whole process could take about 100 minutes.
Which still achieves the 5-minutes per buyer target but still give everyone the walk-through they want.
In addition it gives new owners a bit of social time to bond and maybe make new friends.

The problem with this approach is if someone finds a problem that exists on all of the cars then that would cause a mass problem with 20 owners that wouldn't normally find an issue. I am pretty anal and I am sure they would want me going over my concerns in private ;)

What kind of issues would lead each one of you cancelling or delaying delivery?

This probably isn't an all inclusive list but it gives the picture... I wouldn't necessarily send the car back but I would probably want the issue resolved before I sign just to make sure that it can be fixed.

1. A feature not working... Window/heated seat/etc...
2. Body damage... (larger than a small scratch or a ding of any kind)
3. Rattle or squeak from the interior
4. Vibration at any speed. I would want to get it up past freeway speeds (at least smooth to 90mph).
5. Whistle or loud noise in the interior at freeway speed (It should be quieter than my current Tacoma).
6. A clunk or knocking sound from the suspension while turning or entering a driveway.

4. Vibration at any speed. I would want to get it up past freeway speeds (at least smooth to 90mph).
5. Whistle or loud noise in the interior at freeway speed (It should be quieter than my current Tacoma).
6. A clunk or knocking sound from the suspension while turning or entering a driveway.

1. Should have never left the factory this way.
2. Should have never left the factory this way.
3. Should have never left the factory this way.
4. Should have never left the factory this way.
5. Should have never left the factory this way.
6. Should have never left the factory this way.

...and the party prepping the vehicle should have tested for and/or caught each and every one. Every one.

Crappy QA and potentially sub-standard workmanship......and there in lies the problem......

1. Should have never left the factory this way.
2. Should have never left the factory this way.
3. Should have never left the factory this way.
4. Should have never left the factory this way.
5. Should have never left the factory this way.
6. Should have never left the factory this way.

...and the party prepping the vehicle should have tested for and/or caught each and every one. Every one.

Crappy QA and potentially sub-standard workmanship......and there in lies the problem......

Unfortunately I don't live in a world filled with rainbows and unicorns... This would be ideal but I highly doubt every car will not have any of the issues I mentioned above.

Reactions: Chewy3
This probably isn't an all inclusive list but it gives the picture... I wouldn't necessarily send the car back but I would probably want the issue resolved before I sign just to make sure that it can be fixed.

I really, really doubt you are going to get to drive the car before signing the papers. You can't with the Model S or X, which are much more expensive cars. If you have a problem with any of those things, you take it back to the service center. Usually with Tesla you sign the papers online before you even see the car.

• Informative
Drop shipping your car, pre-prepped with good QA, communication, and availability of information would also be considered "doing it right". Skip the childish theatrics of a "showroom" delivery. It's a cheesy, pointless relic. If EM wants to innovate, continue to innovate this part of the process as well.

Now, this assumes they can get QA where it needs to be. It's a big assumption.

I get that you feel it would be a nicer experience. I don't agree it would be cheaper for Tesla though. The fact is that they used to do this for the Model S, but stopped because it was too expensive. I can't see them resurrecting it for the Model 3.

• Informative
Can someone clarify this for me? As a non-owner, I thought I knew how this worked from YouTube examples, but I keep seeing strange references.... I thought the current process for 'paperwork' was that you sat in *your* car and read and scrolled through the agreement on the MCU. You electronically signed it there and you were done.

I've seen several/many references to 'appointments to do the paperwork' and 'time to do the paperwork'. Doesn't the above take a few minutes? It is how the S and X are 'turned over', legally, right?

If all that is correct, I can't see the 3 being different.

I picked up my MS on Saturday. The paperwork portion took about five minutes. I had already read the documents before I arrived. Then there was a group video presentation and then one-on-one in my car as long as I wanted to ask questions. I was there a total of about 90 minutes. The car was virtually flawless and all of the trouble others have pointed out did not seem to be present with my car, or for that matter, the others picking up Saturday. Since with MS and MX pickups they had 48 Saturday, there is no way that they could give the same attention to 300 pick-ups for M3's. There is also no way anyone is test driving the car before it is yours - that's not gonna happen with a Tesla. But if there is a genuine issue, I'm certain it gets resolved.

I picked up my MS on Saturday. The paperwork portion took about five minutes. I had already read the documents before I arrived. Then there was a group video presentation and then one-on-one in my car as long as I wanted to ask questions. I was there a total of about 90 minutes. The car was virtually flawless and all of the trouble others have pointed out did not seem to be present with my car, or for that matter, the others picking up Saturday. Since with MS and MX pickups they had 48 Saturday, there is no way that they could give the same attention to 300 pick-ups for M3's. There is also no way anyone is test driving the car before it is yours - that's not gonna happen with a Tesla. But if there is a genuine issue, I'm certain it gets resolved.
I think the issue with damage or flaws is greatly publicized and not as wide spre as some seem to think. A few days ago I looked thru pages of delivery posts on the Model S forum and everyone said something like "there was not a single issue and I was looking for everything others had said they had problems with". So either tesla is doing much better with their quality checks or the few that slide by are ranted at in great detail and length.